Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caution: R932 Lithium 24v Combo is going BYE BYE!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Caution: R932 Lithium 24v Combo is going BYE BYE!!

I am new to RIDGID products and have read many posts about the quality of the products and loyalty of their customer base with the brand. Because of this, I have purcahased the 24 volt combo kit.
    Probrand's comments regarding this particular post sends a red flag to me.
    He says " I hope you all picked up a kit because they were going out the door for retails that I doubt we'll see again". WE DID NOT KNOW THEY WERE BEING DISCONTIUNED, UNTIL NOW!!!! What do you mean, you hope you all picked up a kit? I find this comment insulting and unethical business practices. About 4 months ago, people on this forum were asking if the kit was being discontinued. RIDGID did not respond until now. This response of "I hope you all picked up a kit because they were going out the door....." states we all knew it was no longer going to be offered. We didn't. Thats why we asked 4 months ago!!!! What does RIDGID want everyone to do now that they can't return a discontinued line of tools after the 90 day return policy. Ridgid's response is we are new to lithium. That is your loss, not the customer, but RIDGID is saying that it is our loss. UNACCEPTABLE. RIDGID obviously did not release this information because they wanted to liquidate the remaining inverntory and because of the comments from others on the forum stating that they would return the kit if it was being discontinued. RIDGID and its business practices as forcing me to return the kit as well.
    Last edited by onlycordless; 02-20-2007, 12:21 PM.
    http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

Okay I was just at my local HD to see if they have anymore of the 4pc 24v kit and they did. They had 10 left but now they only have 1 since I got 9 of them for my crew members that wanted one. While I was there they where unpacking some new 3pc 24v sets (hammer drill/recipercating saw and flash light) This is suppose to be the new kit from what I was being told by the tool manager at HD. The price I was told for this new kit is $379. They also got a bunch of the max select stuff (circ saw, caulk gun, jig saw but no impact driver yet) So line is not being discontinued, it is just being offered in a different packaging.

Comment

Originally posted by onlycordless View Post
        I am new to RIDGID products and have read many posts about the quality of the products and loyalty of their customer base with the brand. Because of this, I have purcahased the 24 volt combo kit.
        He says " I hope you all picked up a kit because they were going out the door for retails that I doubt we'll see again". WE DID NOT KNOW THEY WERE BEING DISCONTIUNED, UNTIL NOW!!!! What do you mean, you hope you all picked up a kit? I find this comment insulting and unethical business practices. About 4 months ago, people on this forum were asking if the kit was being discontinued. RIDGID did not respond until now. This response of "I hope you all picked up a kit because they were going out the door....." states we all knew it was no longer going to be offered. We didn't. Thats why we asked 4 months ago!!!! What does RIDGID want everyone to do now that they can't return a discontinued line of tools after the 90 day return policy. Ridgid's response is we are new to lithium. That is your loss, not the customer, but RIDGID is saying that it is our loss. UNACCEPTABLE. RIDGID obviously did not release this information because they wanted to liquidate the remaining inverntory and because of the comments from others on the forum stating that they would return the kit if it was being discontinued. RIDGID and its business practices as forcing me to return the kit as well.
        Do not return it, you got a better deal. More for the same money as the new kit.

Comment

I think ProBrand made that statement because the kits dropped in price after they were discontinued. He made that statement because he hopes you guys got good deals on the tool as that kit was on its way out. "going out the door for retails that I doubt we'll see again" reworded = "Really great price on the kit as they sold of the remaining inventory".

Why is this insulting and unethical??? Am I missing something here?

Josh

Originally posted by onlycordless View Post

Comment

DeWalt's coming out with 28V?? Since when?

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
            These upcoming months should interesting for Li-ion. Makita is coming out with more LXT tools, Dewalt announced a new 28v line along with a new 18v line fully compatible with the existing one, as well as the new Ridgid 24v like the impact driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
              DeWalt's coming out with 28V?? Since when?
              They already have a 36v ion set. We had a set on the jobsite today. It is a tank, very heavy in weight. The only thing I liked was the impact wrench and they do not have a impact driver yet. Ridgid needs to offer a impact wrench in there 24v, I would be the first one in line to get it. I am tired of dragging air compressor up 10 flights of steps and tripping over dang hoses.

Comment

I have the 36V set, and I don't find the drill all that bad in weight. In fact my Milwaukee 18V was 6.5lbs, the DW 36V is 6.9lbs. Milwaukee V28 drill is 6.7lbs. Not much difference.

True, the body is little bulkier, but the weight and balance is great. The extra weight is mainly because of the extra heft the transmission requires to handle twice the power. They didn't design the 36V drill for shooting drywall screws. It's for wailing concrete, and humungous self feed bits.

There's been a couple of these rumours about a "intermediate" voltage between 24 and 36.. wasn't it 32V before? so now it's 28?

I can't find any press releases...is this real?

Originally posted by KRSConstruction View Post
                They already have a 36v ion set. We had a set on the jobsite today. It is a tank, very heavy in weight. The only thing I liked was the impact wrench and they do not have a impact driver yet. Ridgid needs to offer a impact wrench in there 24v, I would be the first one in line to get it. I am tired of dragging air compressor up 10 flights of steps and tripping over dang hoses.

Comment

No kidding!

Indeed 28V DeWalt and backwards compatible 18V!

http://www.ebuild.com/articles/artic...ticleID.437171

Comment

First and foremost, I am more clear on the information that Josh and KRS have provided and can conclude that the lithium line is not being discontinued.
                    That said, I am going to answer Josh's question in his previous post.

I personally decided to purchase the 24 volt lithium line because of the good name RIDGID has with all of its loyal customers here and in the field.

My first impression from the post by RIDGID is insulting and unethical because RIDGID says they are new to lithium and gives the impression the consumer will be stuck with these kits for their mistakes. Also many, many posts have been listed in the forum about the 24 volt line and no one from RIDGID(to my knowledge) has answered any of our questions until now. I thought RIDGID witheld information in order to make as much money as possible by liquidating the kits and yes, this would be insulting to assume we are just drones and a company will just continue to fool the customer and take their money.

After clearification from Josh(RIDGID), and his rewording, I withdraw my statement. Thanks.
                    http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
                      No kidding!

Indeed 28V DeWalt and backwards compatible 18V!

http://www.ebuild.com/articles/artic...ticleID.437171

Yep thats it. I'm quite thrilled about the backwards compatible 18v since most of my cordless stuff is 18v XRP.

Comment

ProBrand,

Thanks for your comments on the future of this tool line and why the current set is being discontinued. This is the type of answer I appreciate seeing being offered when someone raises a Q such as the thread initiator did.

I can also see why you (and others) hesitate to make such comments. You try to supply an answer as best you can and people call this insulting and unethical, they are never happy I guess.

Someone asked why thier HD was receiving 23 kits if they are discontinued. Well having worked in a retail store long ago I can remember that when rpoducts were being discontinued our manager would sometimes order more if they were selling at our location. Some itmes sell in some parts of the country and some don't. The stores funnel the stuff to the places where it moves. YEs, they want to get rid of as much inventory as possible before bringing out a new line. It's basic marketing.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Wow, it's really quite amusing to see some of these "quick-on-the-draw" posts. Step into the local HD and see something on clearance and immediately come to the conclusion that you've been "HAD" and that Ridgid is somehow thinking that we're all fools and trying to cheat us at every turn.

Quite the contrary I think. Sometimes a clearance is just a wonderful opportunity to pick up some great bargains and there really isn't a conspiracy. Hard to believe I know!

I might have had some concern if this was the first time this happened, but it really isn't. Over the last couple of years, Home Depot (and others) has made January and February a time to clear out tool combinations (or just singular products), that didn't move as fast as it had planned. It doesn't mean the products were no good, defective or otherwise. It simply means that the menu they put together, wasn't as attractive to the buyer as they had planned. So, marketing puts together something different and tells the manufacturer what they'd like to try next. It's just marketing, nothing more; and it happens in almost every business there is, from automobiles to fast food menus.

Keep the faith,

CWS

Comment

I'm not sure why DeWalt waited so long to come out with a backwards-compatible 18V lithium. Clearly the market has been there because Makita LXT seems to be pretty damn popular. And Milwaukee's had V18 now for quite a while. They've had the entire 18V tool line sitting there already developed for a long time. Tons of useful tools. All they've had to do is add the lithium batteries.

But it's interesting to note that it seems they're taking a swipe at both Milwaukee V28 and Makita LXT at the same time with those voltage levels. With 18, 28, and 36V they'll have every angle of the market covered. From lighter duty, to ultra power. Hmm I wonder if the 28V batteries will retrofit the 24V NiCad tools?

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                            Yep thats it. I'm quite thrilled about the backwards compatible 18v since most of my cordless stuff is 18v XRP.

Comment

Re: From RIDGID

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
                              All,

As usual, the forum has answered its own question. However, just to clear the air...

The 4-Piece kit is being discontinued. Lithium Ion tools are a new segment for RIDGID (and many other manufacturers) and you learn a lot in new product launches. Based on customer feedback, we found that our mix was not right. The only visible effect from that learning from an end user perspective was the lowering of prices in many markets. I hope you all picked up a kit because they were going out the door for retails that I doubt we'll see again.

There will be a three piece kit in the very near future. It will have a hammer drill, reciprocating saw, and worklight (of course batteries and charger as well.) Final market price is not up to us so please understand why I am not posting that.

Given the higher price and relative recency of the lithium-ion technology, RIDGID wanted to give the end user more of an option of what they wanted in their kit. The theory is that you can buy a smaller combo kit, or simply the hammer drill and start building a kit using the dual-voltage MaxSelect products. By this, you can limit your investment to the tools you need. The MaxSelect line will continue to expand. For example, the impact driver will hit the market very shortly. A starter pack of battery and charger is also close to fruition.

I fully understand the concern on the forum and hope this answers some questions. Lithium Ion is certainly no passing fad and this was not a promotional item on our part.

Thanks to all for your support of RIDGID.
                              Up here in Canada, the 4 piece combo has not dropped in price. Still retailing for $699 CDN. This works out to approximately, $597.39 U.S. A pretty far stretch from what it was being offered in the U.S.

Comment

What kind of prices/discounts did you get when picking up the discontinued/clearance 4-piece combo? I found one a the local HD but they are telling me (although it is marked 'clearance' in the computer) that the price is still $397.00.

Comment

Working...
                                X