Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caution: R932 Lithium 24v Combo is going BYE BYE!!

Let me start off saying I like the Ridgid power tools and owned a 18v combo for about a year. I recently went to upgrade to the 24v combo which was on sale but sold out.

I found out Ridgid is not manufacturing or selling the R932 24v combo kit anymore (R85110 Hammer Drill, R854-Reciprocating saw, R855-circular saw, light, 2x24v batteries). My local Home Depot doesn’t have any in stock and the Home Depot Internet dept said their not selling any more of them.

I called Ridgid and spoke with a customer service rep who said the R932 24v combo kit was a "Promotional Item" and will no longer be sold. Since this was NEVER advertised by Ridgid or Homedepot as a Promotional item, I tried to get some information about it. I tried to ask her what is going on with it, if there are defects (i.e., battery), if there were other tools for this kit coming out, if a new improved line is coming out?? All I got from her is "this was a Promotional Kit" over and over from her. She wouldn't answer any questions or transfer me to a manager and eventually hung up on me….pretty freakin’ rude.

Another phone call got me to a different customer service rep who told me the R932 is discontinued because Ridgid “only was selling this kit around Christmas time so they can gauge customer interest”.

Then I spoke to a technician who told me that these R932 combos will still be serviced under the LSA. She also mentioned that Ridgid SHOULD be coming out with a new 24v line in April. She couldn’t tell me anything about the new line, or the tools associated with it since they haven’t told any of the employees about it (or they have and their supposed to be hush-hush like some gov’t. project).

I wonder if this phantom new 24v kit (due in April?) will include the same tools, what the price will be, what changes will have taken place. What company puts out a new product line only to scrap it a few months later?…My guess is: products that are not made to standard and aren’t very good or a product line that should of never been sold in the first place.

Being a savvy consumer, this sounds way too suspicious to me. My ADVICE: return the R932 combo if you can and wait out the storm until the new kit comes out. Even though this was a good tool, too weird that it's already discontinued. Good luck to all.

Please post comments if you know of anything to add to this.
    Last edited by Gatordogs2; 02-19-2007, 05:40 PM.

Re: Caution: R932 Lithium 24v Combo is going BYE BYE!!

Well if this is the case mine will be going back to HD tonight. The only thing that bothers me is that our HD just got 23 kits in last week. So if it is not being offered any more then why would they have gotten more in. I think someone from Ridgid needs to stop in and answer some questions. I have 28 crew members and 9 of them are looking at buying new kits and after today playing with my new 24v set they are looking at buying the same thing. But if they are not going to be around I can tell you this they will be coming home with new dewalt sets instead and my 24v set will go back and I will be with another dewalt set.
    Last edited by KRSConstruction; 02-19-2007, 05:55 PM.

Comment

KRS

You may want to check at more than one HD location to see what they have. I'll look in the HD near me and maybe another not too far. If the one's here have loads of them, then something is going on. It might be that with some little change a new kit will come out, but only with a minor change and at a higher price. It might be a big change. It sure would be nice if Josh could just spill the beans but I bet that would get him fired fast. I'll try to post what I see at HD in here soon. Also the price for them in my area.

You might want to contact Dewalt at 1-800-433-9258 before you buy to find out if they have anything new in the workings. Let them know you're a contractor and this would lead to sales of several kits and not just one for a DIYer.

Comment

At my local HD, the lithium 24-volt combo is on "clearance" for about 60 or 70% of the original price. This is certainly a great deal for anyone looking to pick-up a "lithium" set of tools.

However, this doesn't necessarily mean that Ridgid is going out of the lithium cordless business. I only say this because in January and February it is not at all uncommon to see Ridgid "Combo" tool sets on clearance. I've managed to pick up several bargains over the last couple of years, simply by taking advantage of these sweet deals. While I have not purchased "lithium" tools in particular, the tools that have made up the combos, that I have purchased, are still in production.

These lithium tools may be an exception, but it should be noted that just because a particular "combo" is no longer going to be available, doesn't necessarily mean that these tools won't be available as individual items or as "combos" consisting of a different variety or tools. So, if you're pleased with the lithium tools that you have, and are still covered by the LLSA, what have you got to loose by keeping them? I only mention this because I'd hate to see anyone "kicking themselves" because they returned a nice cordless set of tools only to find that they were still available at much higher prices, six months from now.

For what it's worth,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          KRS

You may want to check at more than one HD location to see what they have. I'll look in the HD near me and maybe another not too far. If the one's here have loads of them, then something is going on. It might be that with some little change a new kit will come out, but only with a minor change and at a higher price. It might be a big change. It sure would be nice if Josh could just spill the beans but I bet that would get him fired fast. I'll try to post what I see at HD in here soon. Also the price for them in my area.

You might want to contact Dewalt at 1-800-433-9258 before you buy to find out if they have anything new in the workings. Let them know you're a contractor and this would lead to sales of several kits and not just one for a DIYer.
          WoussKo
          Dewalt offers a 36v lithion set. I have played with the hammer drill and it is a beast but it also is heavy. I am going to sleep on this and after I get home tomorrow I will see if anything comes up here and then I will deside what I am going to do.

Comment

The 4 pc kit is going away but is being replaced by a 3 pc kit. Also a new 3pc 18v NiCad kit will be hitting stores soon. There is nothing wrong with the products in the 4 pc kits they are just making some changes to marketing. All of the other tools will be available in the Max select series including a new impact that will bw hitting stores in the next month.
            All I can say is that you won't find a better price on the 4pc kit than they have right now so you might want to get them while they are still there.
            Jeff

Comment

why does rigid have so many dumb issues? I think they're great but just like home depot they need to get their **** together!

Comment

I bought these tools (R932) back in November and they've been wonderful! Maybe there are some hidden problems, but I haven't found anything wrong so far. The drill, though a bit heavy, is absolutely impressive in power. The circular saw and recip saw are great, too... few frills, but they feel very solid and well built. I'm very impressed with these tools, especially at the price I paid.

Of course, I don't have much to compare them to... other than my new Milwaukee circular saw, all I've owned before were Skil and Black & Decker brands. There's no comparison. These Ridgid tools feel just as solid as the Milwaukee.

Sure, Bosch and DeWalt might be better... but they would've cost hundreds more. And no lifetime replacement on batteries.

I have to admit that I was a little concerned because of the bargain-basement price, but these tools have really impressed me. Too bad the kit was just a promotional deal... though I'm glad I snagged it while it lasted, because it was a great promotion!

Comment

Quick follow-up... I have had one incident of a possible shut-off that's been mentioned in other threads on the forum. The battery simply quit even though I hadn't been using it long. It only took about 15 minutes to charge. I thought it was just because the battery needed conditioning or something like that, because the battery life has been great ever since. After reading some forum posts, I see it might have been related to the rapid-discharge cutoff issue.

Despite this one incident (which fixed itself when I plugged the battery into the charger), I'm still very happy with the tools.

Comment

I don't buy much of anything at Home Depot
                    (Huge Disappointment) the only Ridgid wood working tool I have is the MSUV. I'll probably never have any Ridgid WW tools just because of the relationship Ridgid has with Huge Disappointment. HD has been here 2 years in April I have purchased for myself 2 Ryobi battery powered tools the MSUV & a small handful of other items. I've been in the store many many time only to be Hugely Disappointed with everything from the lack of products & customer service & or the quality of both. If I was Ridgid I would quickly figure out how to dump HD.

I saw the paper work an employee had in their hand about a month ago on Friday when they told me that an 18v kit with I think 4 tools was supposed to go on sale Saturday.

I went to HD Saturday morning only to be told oh no it not going to be on sale today.

Personally I think Ridgid is mostly getting the shaft from HD. This conclusion comes from what I've experienced & from what I've heard from friends around the US about problems they have had with HD when it comes to Ridgid tools. I understand that HD & other stores make more money on items used with the tools i.e. blades,bits etc than they do on the actual tool so they aren't as interested in selling the tools as the tooling.

Comment

Getting back to the R932 kit, my bet is that there will be a new replacement at HD (and maybe other places) that will be sold for more $$$ so the greedy can make more profit off of it. I have my doubts if there will be many, if any changes to the tools, battery packs or chargers. Marketing is wild and companies keep looking for ways to boost sales and profits. If people like the R932 kit and the price is great, which it has been, then go for it, but do please look over other options. I personally like corded power tools, but I do have a few older cordless by Dewalt and Makita. They serve my needs so I'll save the $$$ and wait to see what comes along.

Comment

so what if the combo kit is being discontinued? ridgid is coming out with a fair amount of 24V tools, as outlined in the vids from the builders show, and are obviously re-marketing.

i think the initial introduction was a bit too piecemeal, as battery packs, and individual tools were sprinkled into inventory, the effect of the introduction was diminished, IMO.

btw, ridgid has a lifetime service agreement, so as long as you registered, you should be fine.

and if anybody purchased this combo for a phenomenal deal, like myself, you shouldn't complain. where else can you get a 24V Li set for under 2, 300 bucks?
                        Last edited by CheekyMonkeyWrench; 02-20-2007, 05:04 AM.

Comment

From RIDGID

All,

As usual, the forum has answered its own question. However, just to clear the air...

The 4-Piece kit is being discontinued. Lithium Ion tools are a new segment for RIDGID (and many other manufacturers) and you learn a lot in new product launches. Based on customer feedback, we found that our mix was not right. The only visible effect from that learning from an end user perspective was the lowering of prices in many markets. I hope you all picked up a kit because they were going out the door for retails that I doubt we'll see again.

There will be a three piece kit in the very near future. It will have a hammer drill, reciprocating saw, and worklight (of course batteries and charger as well.) Final market price is not up to us so please understand why I am not posting that.

Given the higher price and relative recency of the lithium-ion technology, RIDGID wanted to give the end user more of an option of what they wanted in their kit. The theory is that you can buy a smaller combo kit, or simply the hammer drill and start building a kit using the dual-voltage MaxSelect products. By this, you can limit your investment to the tools you need. The MaxSelect line will continue to expand. For example, the impact driver will hit the market very shortly. A starter pack of battery and charger is also close to fruition.

I fully understand the concern on the forum and hope this answers some questions. Lithium Ion is certainly no passing fad and this was not a promotional item on our part.

Thanks to all for your support of RIDGID.

Comment

If more of the kits are hitting stores they are likely just clearing out remaining inventory. My question is, is it just the way the kit is being organized thats being dicontinued or is it the tools? I would guess if its the kit, the tools will now be sold independantly or in different combos. If thats the case I wouldn't be too worried. Manufacturers switch the way they offer combos every now and then. My only major concern about those 24v combo's are the batteries. I refuse to buy a kit where it is impossible to buy extra batteries beyond trying your luck at ebay and there is still no definitive answer to when batteries will be available.
                            These upcoming months should interesting for Li-ion. Makita is coming out with more LXT tools, Dewalt announced a new 28v line along with a new 18v line fully compatible with the existing one, as well as the new Ridgid 24v like the impact driver.

Comment

Thanks for the update ProBrand (Moderator)...much appreciated. It would be nice if an existing Ridgid customer, like myself, calls the customer service line and doesn't get the runaround. All they have to say is the same thing you said to ease our uncertainty. Instead, a valuable customer gets no answers direct from the company. Now I know what the situation is, I'm going to buy an 24v combo if I can find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X