Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2600 or R2611?

Hello-

The past week or so I've been endeavoring to refinish about 50 sq. ft. of red oak flooring. The right tool for the job would be a drum sander, but I feel that's overkill for the relatively small job. I already own a R2600 and love it, but it does take a while to get the finish off, even with 40 grit paper. I can't afford any of the $250+ right-angle-style units, so I was considering getting the R2611.

Compared to the R2600's 3-amp motor, and 3/32 orbit, will the R2611 be any different with its 4-amp motor, and 1/4 orbit? I'm not looking to do any massive refinishing here, I'm just hoping to speed up the process a bit over my R2600. Especially when it comes to the finer (100 grit and up) finish work.

For what it's worth, many people seem to have overlooked the fact that, according to the specs, the new China-made R2611 is 4-amp, while the old German R2610 was only 3.8. I wonder if that's just a marketing ploy, or did they really change the motor?

So, will the R2611 sand noticeably faster than the R2600?

Thanks.

-TM

Re: R2600 or R2611?

the 6" ROS isn't going to save you much time (i have it and tried it). i ended up renting an essex silver-line edger for a similar sized room. it saved heaps of time, and only set me back about 28 bucks (including the paper).

the dust extraction was much better, and it didn't leave swirls like the ros.

Comment

Is your opinion based on a comparison between those two models? (for some reason that question sounded rude - I didn't mean for it to be!)

This is an ongoing project, so renting repeatedly would become costly, which is why I want to buy something. Like I said, the R2600 has been working well to get the finish off, but I shudder at the thought of sanding everything smooth with the finer grits.

I wish Home Depot would just let me sand in the store to compare! haha

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Matrix View Post
        Is your opinion based on a comparison between those two models? (for some reason that question sounded rude - I didn't mean for it to be!)

This is an ongoing project, so renting repeatedly would become costly, which is why I want to buy something. Like I said, the R2600 has been working well to get the finish off, but I shudder at the thought of sanding everything smooth with the finer grits.

I wish Home Depot would just let me sand in the store to compare! haha

Thanks.
        Not a rude question at all.

I own the 6" ROS Ridgid, and have never used the 5". There are 2 settings on the 6" for orbiting diameters, and 5 speeds. I just perused the site and the 5" only has one orbiting diameter.

I had to do stairs, and an area the size of yours at the time. I didn't have a good shop vac too, which is why I rented the edger (it has a built in vac system).

As for wishing Home Depot would let you sand in the store, they have an even better policy. 90 Day return policy. I have bought a couple tools on that premise, and have ended up keeping them (the 6" Ros and the Ridgid jig saw ).

Pick one up, try it out, and if you're not satisfied take it back.

btw, get the sanding pads online, you save a ton.

Comment

Working...
        X