Ryobi DP121L Drill Press

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryobi DP121L Drill Press

I was at HD and noticed the Ryobi DP121L for $189 CD. Seems like a pretty nice machine. This is my first DP and I want to make sure its a decent machine for the $. Anyone have this one???

http://www.ryobitools.com/powertools/tool/dp121l/

Anyone have any suggestions??
    The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.

Re: Ryobi DP121L Drill Press

Originally posted by Zuki View Post
    I was at HD and noticed the Ryobi DP121L for $189 CD. Seems like a pretty nice machine. This is my first DP and I want to make sure its a decent machine for the $. Anyone have this one???

http://www.ryobitools.com/powertools/tool/dp121l/

Anyone have any suggestions??
    It is not a bad piece if you are not going to use it hard. We got my father one in Jan. But if you are going to use it hard I would look at something else. I am looking to replace my old craftsman with the Ridgid DP1550. I seen them at our HD for around $250

Comment

The Ridgid floor model DP retails for $399 here in Newfoundland.
      The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.

Comment

The 5A motor may be a bit weak for anything over 1" or so especially with a minimum speed of 500 RPM. I would make sure you can return it if it does not do what you want. I had a unit a bit smaller than the one you are looking at and it was maddening to use. Forstner bits would stall and it would take ages to do anything. I went with a General 75-200 just to be sure I can do anything I dream up but that was also $425 (wood show sale)

Comment

Ah . . . I see. Actually Canadian Tire has their 10" on sale this week for 1/2 price . . . $75. I must take a look at the motor size on that as well. As Im going to using Forstner bits I will take a closer look at motor size.

I was a little concerned with the 500rpm low end speed as others were around the 250 range.

tks

Comment

Here in the USA Home Depot shows the model DP120 a 12 speed model with 280 RPM as the lowest speed. Online price is $135.20 US. I'm not sure what models you'll find in Canada. Do take a look around at all of them you can. JET makes many models and you may find some specials. DELTA does pretty well on their higher up models, but I would pass on their home owner line. Do you want a benchtop model or a floor standing model? What would be the tuffest work you need it to do for you?

Something to think about is that if you need to drill through 4 by lumber you'll want 3-1/2" or more quill travel.

Comment

I think it's a decent press, however when they changed the minimum speed to 500 RPM over the previous model I looked elsewhere. The Ridgid floor press or the Craftsman 15" would be a better choice. I have the craftsman and love it.

Comment

Working...
              X