X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: info on 24 volt ridgid and other brands

So much for that discontinuation of the Dewalt 36v line rumor. The new 36v angle grinder already showed up on the new products section.

Comment

The only problem so far is that it's really hard to get some of these 36V tools in bare form. Let's take the jigsaw for example. I've only seen it as a kit with batteries/charger, costing you another $400-plus because you can't buy it without the batteries. DeWalt really need to get the lead out on some bare tool options for the 36V line.

Comment

Its not just the 36v line. They don't officially sell bare tools so once you stray away from the more popular basic tools it becomes very hard to get them bare, including some of the 18v stuff. I've been searching for the new 18v roto hammer as a bare tool to see what it costs and have not been able to find it outside a kit. Most of the basic 36v tools can be found as a bare tool quite easily, I haven't found any of the rest though.

Comment

True, they sort of do and they sort of don't. They will tell you that they don't officially sell bare tools, but some of their dealers do. Plus they always seem to have bare tools available for mail in rewards and rebates. They do exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko
            It's way past time for the power tool companies to wake up and realize the customer doesn't want to spend huge $$$ for things that he/she doesn't want. I'm sure it would really boost sales if they did things more our way. " Maybe what we need is a really great online tool dealer to help us. A dealer that will sell things by the piece or in a package deal."
            .............................Your prayers have been answered. It's called E-Bay

Comment

Beeka Sarr _ Beeka Sarr _ Flea Bay is a sick joke at best
              ...............Why do you say that? I've never used it but have several friends who have and they have had positive experiances when purchasing from the "obvious" retailers selling on E-
              Bay. My brother in law buys on ebay all the time and has shown me how you can review a sellers ratings for confidence. I have heard some horror stories about people buying from private parties and getting screwed.
              The reason I mentioned it was because you had posted a message wishing for a web site where you could purchase tools in all configurations. After I purchased my Ridgid 24V LI set I noticed all the items that came in the set for sale individually on ebay. This included the batteries which havn't shown up anywhere else that I know of including Home Depot. My concern would be the warrenty issue although some of them claim to include a receipt.
              Have you had a bad experiance with one of the commercial vendors on ebay?

Comment

I have only had good (many) experiences with ebay, however I have noticed that since the tool retailers have swamped the place it is harder and harder to find good deals. It went from a buyers' market to a sellers' pretty quick. People set their prices off what others are asking and the more retailers showed up the higher the prices went on the "buy it now" auctions. I don't have time to screw around with the actual bidding on tool purchases, on other items it's fun but I need to know I'm getting what I need in the mail asap, not if I'm lucky in 2days 8hrs. Also, as far as this thread goes the problem with buying bare tools from Ebay where ridgid is concerned it screws you on the LSA. (no receipt OR upc)

That said I really have saved a bundle on ebay. If you have the time to mess with the process it is worth it.
                A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I use ebay all the time and tend to stick to the big sellers when in comes to power tools. Bought most of my Makita LXT tools from there. There's no way I'd pay retail prices when I can get the brand new bare tools for 30-50% cheaper brand new. Its also great for batteries. Bought all of my Dewalt 18v batteries there for about 45 a pop. No way I'd pay the $90 retail for them.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit1954 View Post
                    yes these tools will be heavier than the 18 volts because of more is packed in them and heavier battery. if you use a drill alot stick with the 18 volt ridgid or youll find yourself with a painful wrist. the other 24 volts are less likely to be used as often or you are not constantly holding it. you might consider wearing a brace if you use the drill alot to support your wrist.
                    its great ridgid warranties the charger and batteries for life. companies like mil. and dewalt have no such warranty. when you take their brands back after the warranty they will fix it unless it cost more than half of what the cost of that tool is. a friend had a dewalt cost him 120.00 to get fixed. to save money on ridgid tools say you order a kit. check the store price and price online. youll save by not haveing to pay tax. as for the warranty you need to send it in the day you purchase it. make a copy of your reciept and warranty for your records
                    All the Ridgid tools need to go on a diet compared to the competition...especially the 18 volt lineup. The 18 volt drill is actually a half pound heavier than the 24 volt drill. However, this is mostly because the 24 volt drill doesn't have the depth stop or onboard storage. Either way, 7-8 pounds is fat for a drill. Ridgid should shoot for 4-5 pounds in their next design.

By the way, the 3 amp hour 24 volt battery weighs 2 pounds, 2 ounces. The 1.9 amp hour 18 volt battery actually weighs more at 2 pounds, 6 and 1/2 ounces. Interestingly, the 2.5 amp hour 18 volt battery only weighs 1/2 ounce more...2 pounds, 7 ounces.

The 24 volt reciprocating saw runs 9 pounds which isn't bad...the weight helps tame the vibration.
                    Last edited by Disaster; 04-15-2007, 12:43 PM.

Comment

eBay is OK as long as you check out the seller. Some are only in it to rip you off and others are good business people.
                      Checking out the seller is key. Things to look for.

1. How many sales have they had? You want to know they have a good sales record. Not just a good buying record.

2. If there was negative feedback what specifically did it say? Sometimes the feedback is from a retaliatory feedback from a seller who ripped them off. Be more concerned if it is negative feedback from a buyer and there is no answer.

3. Look in the actual feedback for mutually withdrawn feedback. If there is more than a couple of these be concerned. Often a seller will blackmail a buyer into mutually withdrawing the negative feedback by giving the buyer negative feedback and claiming they will fix the problem if the person removes the negative feedback. Of course, once the negative feedback is gone they are free to do nothing because there isn't a way to put the negative feedback back.

4. Is there a recent upsurge in negative feedback? Sometimes a seller that was good will get overwhelmed or will stop caring or will plain start ripping people off. A recent upsurge in complaints is a bad sign.

5. Contact the seller. If he isn't willing to respond to a pre-auction question, he isn't likely to be responsive if there is a problem.

6. If anything smells fishy don't bid. This is the cardinal rule. Use your common sense and walk away. There will be other auctions.

I've bought and sold stuff on Ebay for years. I've had three or four issues. In nearly every case, if I had been more patient and done the proper research, or heeded the concerns I had, I wouldn't have bid on the auction. In the end, I've saved way more money than I ever lost and made money on stuff I otherwise would have given away. When I get some free time I will be selling my spare Ridgid tools and batteries on Ebay. Breaking up sets to get the tool you want and selling the spares on Ebay works out great...which is why you see so many people doing it.

Danny
                      Last edited by Disaster; 04-15-2007, 11:11 AM.

Comment

eBay is OK as long as you check out the seller. Some are only in it to rip you off and others are good business people.

My earlier posting of "Beeka Sarr" does not belong here.
                        well you can always check the ebay ratings ? Never had any problems buying frome ebay.
                        http://www.reconditioned-power-tools.com

Comment

Working...
                        X