X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info on 24 volt ridgid and other brands

yes these tools will be heavier than the 18 volts because of more is packed in them and heavier battery. if you use a drill alot stick with the 18 volt ridgid or youll find yourself with a painful wrist. the other 24 volts are less likely to be used as often or you are not constantly holding it. you might consider wearing a brace if you use the drill alot to support your wrist.
    its great ridgid warranties the charger and batteries for life. companies like mil. and dewalt have no such warranty. when you take their brands back after the warranty they will fix it unless it cost more than half of what the cost of that tool is. a friend had a dewalt cost him 120.00 to get fixed. to save money on ridgid tools say you order a kit. check the store price and price online. youll save by not haveing to pay tax. as for the warranty you need to send it in the day you purchase it. make a copy of your reciept and warranty for your records

Re: info on 24 volt ridgid and other brands

I have to agree on the weight issue... I just returned my 24volt XLi back to Home Depot... The unit was heavy as all get out, but I went in to exchange it because the batteries kept shutting off without cause. Home Depot has clearanced these out of their inventory and could not get me another one, so I had to take a refund. Now I am looking at what else is out there.

I know hitachi has a li-ion set, but I saw a Milwaukee 18volt Li-Ion in a catalog they had at lowes... They looked promising, but did not have any in the store for me to check out the build quality or the weight...

I settled on a dewalt 18v XRP drill for now. I need to figure what it the best for the money and not too heavy.

Don
    "There is no secrets to success. It is a result of preparation, hard work and learning from failure." - Colin Powell

Comment

Originally posted by dlwoodjr View Post
      I have to agree on the weight issue... I just returned my 24volt XLi back to Home Depot... The unit was heavy as all get out, but I went in to exchange it because the batteries kept shutting off without cause. Home Depot has clearanced these out of their inventory and could not get me another one, so I had to take a refund. Now I am looking at what else is out there.

I know hitachi has a li-ion set, but I saw a Milwaukee 18volt Li-Ion in a catalog they had at lowes... They looked promising, but did not have any in the store for me to check out the build quality or the weight...

I settled on a dewalt 18v XRP drill for now. I need to figure what it the best for the money and not too heavy.

Don

Also you may want to check out the specs on www.milwaukee-tool.com . The 18 volt drill is only a few ounces lighter than the 28 volt.
      http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

Which one the DC925? Top of the line in terms of power for 18V..

The self tightening chuck is really nice too.

Originally posted by dlwoodjr View Post

Don

Comment

Look into DeWalts 36Volt line

Dewalt sells a 36volt Drill, Circular saw, and recip saw.

Though the drill is heavier than an 18V its abundant power makes you forget about the weight difference. The power and torque are unbelievable, especially for cordless. Runtimes are 3 or 4 times longer than standard 18V drills.

The saws are extremely nice as well.

Jon

Comment

I have a dewalt 18v XRP and it weighs the same as my ridgid 24v. The only difference is the weight is in the battery on the dewalt. But the ridgid carriers most the weight in the motor and gearbox. Which does make it a little harder on the wrist but they will both give you are arm work out. Thats why I have a 12v Porter Cable for the little stuff. Also the Ridgid 24v impact should be out this month and it will weigh less than an 18v drill.

Comment

I agree with you, the power of the 36V set is wicked! The drill is extremely useful because they've extended the upper range of jobs you can do with it. The power difference is readily noticeable when you use larger self feed bits and holesaws. Do you notice too that the motors and the battery stay very cool in comparison? My 18V would heat up like crazy when doing strenuous work, but the 36 just purrs along like it's no big deal.

I have a feeling the higher voltage will catch on when people realize that they can effectively do the jobs of heavier, bulkier corded tools. Some people get surprised at the so called "bulkiness" of the 36V tools, but if you compare a corded circular saw, for example, the corded is way bulkier and heavier than the 36.

Originally posted by JCG Construction View Post
              Look into DeWalts 36Volt line

Dewalt sells a 36volt Drill, Circular saw, and recip saw.

Though the drill is heavier than an 18V its abundant power makes you forget about the weight difference. The power and torque are unbelievable, especially for cordless. Runtimes are 3 or 4 times longer than standard 18V drills.

The saws are extremely nice as well.

Jon

Comment

I'm saving up to pull the trigger on the Dewalt 36v. I've tried the drill and honestly it doesn't feel that heavy as its kept to their well balanced design. All things considered its still comparable in weight to other high power cordless drills which hover around 6.7 pounds. The 36v is 6.9 which is no big deal. The prospect of a 36v roto hammer is also very appealing, unfortunately the price is not.
                I migrated my 18v XRP to Makita LXT to take advantage of the longer runtime and lighter weight when I have to lug the tools around. In retrospect might have been a mistake to sell of a lot of my XRP stuff now that Dewalt is comming out with 18v Lithium Ion and the Makita LXT tools, while nice, are fairly underpowered in comparison to the XRP ones. The circular saw is the only LXT tool that really stands out. Cuts remarkably well for 18v, probably the best I've tried. The hammer drill is rather underwhelming in performance compared to the DC925 and the reciprocating saw was a huge let down. Not only is it actually larget AND heavier with battery but it is pretty underpowered. It can bog down pretty easily even chopping a 2X4, something my Dewalt plowed through with ease. The battery runtime wasn't even all that better.

Comment

Buy the 4-tool kit would be my suggestion. The recip saw will solve your power issue, I've tried it beside a high-amp Milwaukee super sawzall and it keeps up. My only gripe about it is that they could've done a little better supressing the vibration.

I agree, the drill weight really isn't too bad, balance makes it fine. Let's face it, pretty much any 18V cordless drill gets tedious after a while and usually an impact driver is better in tight spaces and overhead repetitive screwdriving. I've seen some complaints here and there on the internet, people bashing the weight and whatnot, but look it's a drill meant for extreme work that you'd be pulling out your tank 1/2" corded drill for. It's not the tool you buy if you're looking to assemble Ikea furniture. DeWalt's not trying to sell this drill to those people.

On that note too, you pick up all the high voltage drills in the store, V28, 24V Ridgid, and the 36V and they all feel about the same weight.

Comment

Unfortunately for all of you DeWalt is putting the breaks on their 36 Volt line, there have been a few issues with the batteries and circular saw in particular.

Comment

Unfortunately for all of you DeWalt is putting the breaks on their 36 Volt line, there have been a few issues with the batteries and circular saw in particular.
                      Details please.
                      Last edited by Sceeter W Wheels; 03-08-2007, 11:21 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Seems a little unlikely considering they just had a press release expanding 36v line and adding more 28v and 18v Lithium lines. The only issue I've seen was a recall for some of the reciprocating saws because of a faulty trigger that could short.

Comment

And there was a recall on the circular saw (DC300) too because of the blade guard. Apparently it was possible that it could get stuck and not to close properly.

I agree, if they were dismantling the line, then they wouldn't be including it in too many press releases. That makes no sense at all.

They've sold a hell of a lot of them - could you imagine how pissed off us customers would be if they pulled the rug out? With current competition in cordless that would be an incredibly stupid maneuver on their part. They would lose a huge amount of customer confidence.

Velosapien - do you know many people that own these tools? any issues you've heard of?

Comment

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/artic...icle&&partID=1

I found this review of 15 different top of the line 18v drills. Some pretty surprising finds as well as confirmation of things I've noticed myself. Not surprisingly the DeWalt DC925 was the top choice and looks like it totally annihalated the competition in every aspect including run time vs Lithium tools.

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post

Velosapien - do you know many people that own these tools? any issues you've heard of?

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with the 36v sets around here. They are not carried by HD's here and only Sears has them for some reason outrageously priced so they don't move.

Comment

That's a very interesting article. It doesn't surprise me that they reached that conclusion about the DC925, considering the good things I've been hearing about it. Apparently it's a monster, for an 18V drill.

Tools of the Trade also did an article on the lithium tools last issue that painted the 36V DeWalt in somewhat of a crappy light. It brought up some provacative comments that I'll talk about a little lower down.

here's the link:

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/2007/...LithiumIon.pdf

It's in pdf format so you'll need Acrobat Reader

For the drill, the DC900, they made a couple of complaints about the clutch and didn't say much about the overall power. Have a read and tell me what you think.

I haven't even used the clutch on mine yet, because it's not the kind of drill I use for the clutch on LOL but it's an interesting comment, when I get the chance, I'm going to see if mine actually has this alleged problem.

That being said, according to my use, the power sure seems head and shoulders above an 18V. Going by feel, I'd say that it sure feels like it has about twice the balls as the 18.

But one thing I've found through experience with the tool, and DeWalt doesn't seem to publish this anywhere, is that there seems to be an overload protection built into the battery. If you stall the drill or bog it down abusively, the battery seems to cut out and protects itself, and the motor from extreme heat buildup. (you can hear it chriping away when it happens). So when it stalls, it may not have the torque that you'd expect because it's protecting itself from a fatally high stall current. However, when the drill is spinning within it's usable RPM range it seems to have a tremendous power advantage over the 18V

This overload zone could fool you into thinking it's not as powerful because it inherently backs off the torque as a side effect. And this seems to happen on all the tools, including the circular saw. if you bog it down excessively, the battery/motor will give up.

I've done some extreme stuff where the drill bogs down completely and repeated this over and over and there's far barely any heat buildup with the 36V in comparison to my 18V which gets extremely hot under the same circumstances.

I think this is great because it will stop you from frying the motor. I'd rather have the tool tell me "stop being an idiot" then have a fried motor and foul smell LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X