X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What battery chemistry is in the 24v xli

I have searched google, yahoo, lycos and ask.com for the type of chemical in the ridgid lithium batteries and have found nothing on the subject. The manual states the batteries are lithium ion, however, I have read they are maufactured from TTI(the same company that manufactured the milwaukee batteries) which are lithium manganese and much more appropriate for tools. I don't think they are lithium ion because the amp draw would be insufficient for tools.

Does anyone know what type of battery chemistry is in the ridgid 24volt xli?
    http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Re: What battery chemistry is in the 24v xli

I need to look into this more myself. What I do remember is that the ones used for the Milwaukee V28 series were 4.0 Volts per cell and either 3.0 or 4.0 Amp Hour rated. That means each cell was higher capacity than most of the lower cost-grade battery packs. They had them made under contract up in Canada. I have a feeling with TTI behind both Milwaukee and Ridgid now that they may be the same cells. The Li-Ion cells for electronics are mostly 3.6 Volts per cell and are designed for lower discharge rates. I have a good feeling we may see something totally (or almost) new coming out soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
      I need to look into this more myself. What I do remember is that the ones used for the Milwaukee V28 series were 4.0 Volts per cell and either 3.0 or 4.0 Amp Hour rated. That means each cell was higher capacity than most of the lower cost-grade battery packs. They had them made under contract up in Canada. I have a feeling with TTI behind both Milwaukee and Ridgid now that they may be the same cells. The Li-Ion cells for electronics are mostly 3.6 Volts per cell and are designed for lower discharge rates. I have a good feeling we may see something totally (or almost) new coming out soon.

I think your right about your feeling of something new because if these batteries are lithium ion, then I am sure that is why a lot of users have had so many problems with the batteries dying and/or unable to charge. Lithiums ions(vs lithium manganese) just can not handle the amp draw, which sounds like what is happening.
      I have experienced the same issues as others and had to returne the first set of 24 volt tools but have had no problems with the second set.
      Last edited by onlycordless; 02-25-2007, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Here is some info on the Milwaukee "V" series. It's not really technical enough, but gives some basics. http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/n...2?OpenDocument

Comment

Originally posted by onlycordless View Post
          The manual states the batteries are lithium ion, however, I have read they are maufactured from TTI(the same company that manufactured the milwaukee batteries) which are lithium manganese and much more appropriate for tools.
          It sounds like you are differentiating lithium ion and manganese as two separate technologies, but manganese is one of the metals commonly used in lithium ion batteries. There's a college research paper here, and there's a PDF document from the DOE here about Li-ion batteries that may help.

Perhaps your question is which metal is used in Ridgid XLI Li-ion batteries(?) Have you tried Ridgid customer support?

- djb
          sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Originally posted by onlycordless View Post
            I have searched google, yahoo, lycos and ask.com for the type of chemical in the ridgid lithium batteries and have found nothing on the subject. The manual states the batteries are lithium ion, however, I have read they are maufactured from TTI(the same company that manufactured the milwaukee batteries) which are lithium manganese and much more appropriate for tools. I don't think they are lithium ion because the amp draw would be insufficient for tools.

Does anyone know what type of battery chemistry is in the ridgid 24volt xli?
            Lithium manganese is just one of the many different chemistries in the Lithium Ion family. The shutting down problem on the Ridgid batteries is very likely do to poorly designed or improperly calibrated electronics in the battery. Its unlikely the cells are to blame since they probably use the same brand cells used by several other manufacturers. As far as I'm aware just about all power tool Li-Ion batteries are lithium manganese. The only one using different is Dewalt because they partnered with A123 Systems to use their nano phosphate lithium cells.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
              Lithium manganese is just one of the many different chemistries in the Lithium Ion family. The shutting down problem on the Ridgid batteries is very likely do to poorly designed or improperly calibrated electronics in the battery. Its unlikely the cells are to blame since they probably use the same brand cells used by several other manufacturers. As far as I'm aware just about all power tool Li-Ion batteries are lithium manganese. The only one using different is Dewalt because they partnered with A123 Systems to use their nano phosphate lithium cells.

That is the same information I have come across regarding competitors batteries and their technologies but nothing on ridgid lithium batteries.

I can try Ridgid CS but the batteries are manufactured in several different places. If I find out I will post it.

Comment

The batteries are manufactured in different places but my guess is the cells themeselves are manufactured by Sony or some similar same as other brands. I don't think there are many mass manufacturers of lithium cells out there just yet.

Comment

Working...
                X