X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 3650 kick

Just wondering is everybody else's TS has a hard kick start, then runs very smooth?
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: TS 3650 kick

Mine does not, I am thinking you might have the belt to tight.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
      Just wondering is everybody else's TS has a hard kick start, then runs very smooth?
      Hard kick start? Are we talking about table saws or Harleys...?

- djb
      sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Garager, you are supposed to turn it on before you push the wood into it!! Seriously, mine starts very smooth--cold weather or warm.
        Jim

Comment

Define kick start. Are you saying that the motor jumps when you power it up?
          Last edited by BadgerDave; 02-25-2007, 09:00 PM.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I wondering if you may have a thin piece of wood possibly
            lightly wedged and dragging on the side of your blade down on the saw dust
            collection down in the table. This would make your saw think
            It is under load at start up and ramp from the slow start right up to
            full running speed too quickly. …. Just a thought.

Comment

Ya motor jumps, kind of with a bang, then runs perfectly smooth, I have always had table saws w/direct drive, so this is my first belt drive. I sort of wondered if it was the belt being to tight, but in another post someone mentioned pull the motor out tight and bolt it down. I have loosened the belt, and after 1 or 2 minutes the belt will come off. So if I'm too tight and the belt needs to be loosened up, then I need to change my alignment. Thanks everyone, hopefully I can correct this problem today...
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Yea mine did this too when I first put it together. I adjusted the belt the way the manual said to, but I kept having problems. Sometimes it would start up just fine, other times it would make a terrible scratching noise and vibrate badly when you turned it on. But once it was running it ran fine. I ended up having to adjust the belt tighter, the way the manual said to do it was just way to loose. Also check your belt to make sure the pulley on the motor is in line with the pulley on the arbor, make sure they are running straight, and not out of alignment.

Comment

Update w/my problem, checked out alignment again, and its as good as you can get it. Loosened up belt, big bang still ran for a minute belt comes off, losened up a little more, belt came off right away. So then I went the other way, gradually tightened, after about 5 times, now it works great, couldn't believe I needed to pull that hard on the motor, but everything is fine and dandy. Now it kind of makes me wonder how long my belt will last w/that much tension. Its as tight as my truck belts damn near, I didn't use a pry bar though, so if any one else has my problem and reads this more tension should solve your problems, happy endings are good...

mark (garager)

Comment

When first assembled mine created a pretty good jolt when starting, but then ran very smooth. Once I converted it from 110V to 220V, the jolt became decreased in intensity and duration. Maybe this will help you as well.

Judson

Comment

Judsond, thats sound like a very good tip, and I've been thinking about going that route, now I know that I will. Thanks for the tip, and my jolt did stop after tightening the belt up, but running 220 sounds a lot better and save on electricity.

Comment

Guys,
                        I just came across this post and I'm confused (what else is new?).

There is discussion about loosening and/or tightening the drive belt.

I am a new owner of a TS3650 and it looks too me that the spring in between the motor plate and the mounting to the saw is what controls the belt tension. The motor moves closer to the saw when you raise the blade.

So how would you go about loosening and/or tightening the drive belt?

My saw motor has a little jump/kick when it starts and I don't see how you get around it.
                        Am I missing something here?
                        Jim

Comment

Jimh42 -

Two large pins on the motor assembly allow the motor to slide toward or away from the saw, thus adjusting the tension on the drive belt. (Attached are pictures from the installation manual showing these two pins and the hex bolts that hold them in place.)

I previously reported a vibration on my TS3650 while it was running. I also started to notice the motor making what sounded to me like an unusually loud noise when the saw was turned off (when the motor clutch seemed to engage to quickly slow the blade).

Last week I found the two hex bolts that hold the pins had apparently loosened which allowed the motor support assembly to slip to the point that there was no tension on the belt. The motor was basically resting on the pivot screw at the end of the slot in the bracket, and that was causing the vibration when the saw was running. After adjusting the motor assembly to give the belt some tension, the vibration went away, and the motor also shuts down much quieter, too.

Hope this helps...

- djb
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

djb,
                            "(when the motor clutch seemed to engage to quickly slow the blade)"
                            Mine does not have this feature.

Regarding belt tension, it looks like the spring and the weight of the motor determines the tension, right?

Jim

Comment

There is no tension adjust per se on this motor. The tension on the belt is solely the weight of the motor. To adjust properly lower the blade all the way an adjust the motor out so it is just off the half circle clamp on the right side of motor viewing from the back. This puts all the weight of the motor on the belt. When blade is raised you will notice that motor holding pin in half circle clamp changes position. If motor is resting on half circle clamp belt tension will be incorrect and could cause the problems that you all are having. The spring is just to dampen movement of the motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X