Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Ridgid Worm Drive Circular Saw, or Skil???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Worm Drive Circular Saw, or Skil???

Hello everyone, i am currently in the market for a new circular saw, preferably Worm grear driven.

I have seen and held both the Ridgid and the Skil-Saw brand Worm drive saws at my local Home Depot.

The only real differnce i have seen is the orange plastic handle seems to be beefier than the red plastic on the skil brand, and the finish on all the machined parts is better on the ridgid. Ridgid also has the LifeTime Service plan, which is a plus.

Any suggestions on which band saw is a better buy/better quality???

Thanks in advance,
    Jon

Re: Ridgid Worm Drive Circular Saw, or Skil???

The skill is tried and true...
    Ridgid is made in China and the Skil is made in USA. I've owned many saws worm drive and sidewinders and I prefer the Bosch wormdrive which is basically a refined skil wormdrive...

Comment

For a 7-1/4" I would go with either the Skil HD77M or the similar Bosch 1677M Please note the "M" which comes with a lighter weight magnesium body. The aluminum models weigh a bit more, but normally come at a lower price.

http://www.skiltools.com/en/AllTools...D77&cid=192162
      http://www.skiltools.com/en/AllTools...77M&cid=192162

If you need a larger capacity 8-1/4 inch model, I would look at the Skil HD5860
      http://www.skiltools.com/en/AllTools...860&cid=192162

As for the Ridgid, time will tell. It might be a good one, but it might not.

Here's something you might want to look over.
      http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/artic...ticle&partID=1

The Skil HD77 series has a great track record as a tried and proven saw. What kinds of prices have you found so far? It pays to check prices at several places. Also, keep in mind that most included blades are junk.
      Last edited by Woussko; 02-26-2007, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Skill mag77,bomb proof,been abusing mine in the construction field(plumbing,framing and concrete) for 3 years.

I may want to get a second saw.

Could you guys tell me what type of improvements bosch has made on the skil worm drive.

Comment

Definitely get the lighter weight Mag saw, I have the HD77 from before the MAG version was available and it does get heavy when you are using it for any length of time. The Bosch looks to be a nice saw, I've never used one though.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I haven't used the Ridgid, but I can definitely speak for the Skil. I have been using the HD77 for about 10 years now on wood, brick, block and concrete and nothing stops this saw. If it ever goes down, I will buy another (but in Magnesium). Can't go wrong with it.
            Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Skill mag77,bomb proof,been abusing mine in the construction field(plumbing,framing and concrete) for 3 years.

I may want to get a second saw.

Could you guys tell me what type of improvements bosch has made on the skil worm drive.
              Bosch 1677MD-XC vs. Skil HD77M

Bosch is a pound lighter, has more power (15A vs. 13A), has Direct Connect™ cord, built in sky hook, and looks a lot nicer

Comment

Newman,
                I am not the big burly type with forearms like popeye.

A few years back Makita made a powerfull saw with a brake,the hypoid saw.That thing used to flip around like a mako shark on the deck of a small boat.

One pound lighter I like,how does it torque affect the saw on start up.

Is it as easy to see cut line from various angles (any blind spots).
                Last edited by drtyhands; 02-26-2007, 09:30 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

I have had the mag 77 for about 8 years and it has never had a hint of a problem. I used it to cut literally hundreds of window and patio doors out of stucco, untold numbers of 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x... sheet goods? you wanna talk about shee--you get the picture. I haven't used the ridgid so my opinion doesn't add anything the others haven't said, just one more rave for the mag.
                  A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    Newman,
                    I am not the big burly type with forearms like popeye.

A few years back Makita made a powerfull saw with a brake,the hypoid saw.That thing used to flip around like a mako shark on the deck of a small boat.

One pound lighter I like,how does it torque affect the saw on start up.

Is it as easy to see cut line from various angles (any blind spots).
                    The start up torque twist is not very pronounced on the Bosch - it's got some, but I'd say it's no more than the skils I've used. Cut-line visibility is one of the benifits of using a worm drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                      Cut-line visibility is one of the benifits of using a worm drive.
                      This reminds me about a saw my old foreman used to have that was a direct drive PC, but reversed so the blade was mounted on the left. It was a sweet saw, so much lighter than the worm drives, and also directed dust away. What are the other benefits of a worm drive besides the blade mount/visiblity?

Comment

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
                        This reminds me about a saw my old foreman used to have that was a direct drive PC, but reversed so the blade was mounted on the left. It was a sweet saw, so much lighter than the worm drives, and also directed dust away. What are the other benefits of a worm drive besides the blade mount/visiblity?
                        I think you're referring to the Porter-Cable 743 sidewinder. I own one and it's a great sidewinder - very smooth and powerful, but still no match for the my wormdrive...
                        I prefer the inline design of the wormdrive and if you make use of gravity plus the weight of the saw, it just goes through wood like it's nobody's business...
                        Other advantages - powerful wormdrive doesn't get bogged down in wet lumber, they last forever and it's easier to cut a straight line freehand.

Comment

do not buy the ridgid. I had mine and it worked for 4 days. Huge P.O.S. buy the skill hd77m. I have had a skill for 8 years and it has never had one single problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                            I think you're referring to the Porter-Cable 743 sidewinder. I own one and it's a great sidewinder - very smooth and powerful, but still no match for the my wormdrive...
                            I prefer the inline design of the wormdrive and if you make use of gravity plus the weight of the saw, it just goes through wood like it's nobody's business...
                            Other advantages - powerful wormdrive doesn't get bogged down in wet lumber, they last forever and it's easier to cut a straight line freehand.
                            That is true, good point. For toe cuts there is next to no effort involved with the heavier saw.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys, i have decided to get the Skil 77 Magnesium.
                              I went to HD yesterday to get one, and they are all out of stock!!

I did however find out that Skil sells a kit for $10.99 that allows me to bolt a Sky-Hook onto the skil......That made my day, as i am the biggest fan of skyhooks, and that was one big reason i didnt like the skil.

So ill be picking up the skil when HD gets some more in!

Thanks,
                              Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X