X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to look for in an angle grinder?

I am in the market for an angle grinder for home use. It would only be used occasionally, maybe to cut max 5/8" rebar, trim ventillated shelving components, etc. I found a Kawasaki 4.5", 7.6A & 11K RPM unit for about $30 from Northern Tool. I know someone in China prob mfrs it & slaps the Kawi green & name on it w/ a 2 yr warr. Am I spinning my wheels on a cheapo angle grinder?

Re: What to look for in an angle grinder?

I've got the Ridgid one and it's been a trusty companion over the past few years.

That said... for home use the $30 one you have is probably going to be good enough. Just get some good cutting discs for it and you should be good to go.

Make sure you know the difference between cutting and grinding discs. I brought mine to a friend's house to cut up some old iron fencing for disposal. He bought one for around $30 CAD and it came with something like 30 discs but they were all somewhat thin grinding discs. I was going through the fencing like butter with my Ridgid while he pretty much gave up trying after a few attempts with the grinding discs.

Comment

Curiously... the Ridgid one isn't currently listed on the HD Canada website... ??

Comment

The only thing I'd consider is getting one with a deadman switch. They are fairly common on angle grinders.
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Thanks for all of your replies. I will check on the disc quality & deadman switch.

Comment

if you live near one go to a few pawn shops and you could end up with a good one for about the same money and it might come with 4-5 extra wheels. i got a makta 4.5 with about 20 wheels even one of the diamond wheels for $40 last year. just a thought
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Looking for a grinder for around the house right? FWIW, I've been using a noname, made in China 4½" angle grinder that I bought at Menards about 6 or 7 years ago, maybe even longer. It's still going strong and show no signs of slowing down. It even came with an extra set of brushes which I haven't had to use yet. Paid $10 for it.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave,

That's about what I am looking for, something just to an occasional odd job, nothing too commercial. Where is the best place to buy the cutting discs, as this model only comes w/ the grinding disc?

Comment

Do you have a Harbor Freight near you? If so, you can get the cutting discs there. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45430
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Yes, I do. The discs are pretty cheap.

Comment

I have the same question. What to look for? I don't have a need to cut metal very often, but a few years ago, I needed to cut off a hollow 3" post that was concreted into the ground. I bought a $20 6.something amp grinder from Cummins Tools thinking it would be good enough for a single job even if I threw it away afterwards. The thing was so underpowered, that it stopped cold in the cut if I got more than about 1/4" deep. I had to graze the pipe a little at a time to finally work my way through without bogging down the little motor.

Now, I'm looking for a grinder to cut inside corners on porcelain tiles with a diamond blade. I don't want to make the same mistake, but I'd like to avoid spending $100+ for a "good" grinder for occassional use.

Pawn shops are a good idea and I'll check that out. Still, what kind of power is a reasonable minimum for cutting metal and tiles? Or is power only one measure of a decent grinder?

Thanks,

Ray

Comment

I bought the $60.00 dewalt for occassional use(approx.3hours on motor).

Use it for cutting steel,concrete,tile.Grinding the same and more.

Bearings still sound good.

Comment

I have no problem buying Dewalt. I have a corded drill, two cordless drills and a cordless circular saw. Which Dewalt model did you find for $60?

Comment

get the dewalt d28402

Comment

Generally, unless you are doing a lot of rough grinding work, like grinding on elektrode welds, then you are going to be using mainly cutting, and finishing discs. For most jobs a 5 inch, (125mm) is perfect, also for tricky precise cutting. All sorts of discs & wheels are available in 125mm, whereas things are more limited in 110mm, as 110 is "hobby only". I wouldnt worry about a "deadman switch". I've never seen that on a 125mm. I think it would irritate more than contributing to safety. A big 9 inch, is a different matter!
                              Doing serious precise work, as people on this forum do, then quality is very relevant. Better, heavy duty bearings, and close tollerance gears, make jobs like finishing, & precise cutting, unbelieveably easier. Likewise, don't get one thats under 650W. Personally I like a grinder at 1000W at least, as this gives better RPM stability, especially for longer shaping cuts, in materials like stainless. There are lots of good makes, I know mainly the European ones,because I live in Norway, but if your on this forum, then a "cheapo" won't do!

Comment

Working...
                              X