Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router table electrical hook-up

Hello all -

I'm building a router table insert for my TS2400 (inspired largely by ideas presented on these forums), and I want to install a switch so I can easily turn the power on and off. I've read mention of several of you doing the same, so I could easily assume it's safe for me and the router...but when it comes to safety, I don't like to make an *** out of U or Me.
    Anywho...isn't any switch that I hook up going to have the same effect on the router as turning it on before plugging it into power? I guess that's my question...is that safe for the router, and for me? I've got the Ridgid 3-piece set with the soft-start, so I want to make sure I'm not shortening the life of my router. Or my life.

On a related note, the lexan/polycarbonate sub-base that comes attached to my fixed base...could I design my router table to incorporate that as part of the table surface, or do I have to mount that below the actual surface? Or remove it altogether?

Thanks

Re: Router table electrical hook-up

Originally posted by Fightgar View Post
    On a related note, the lexan/polycarbonate sub-base that comes attached to my fixed base...could I design my router table to incorporate that as part of the table surface, or do I have to mount that below the actual surface? Or remove it altogether?

Thanks
    I think it's best to remove it altogether. If you leave it on you'll lose in cut depth what the base is in thickness. I removed mine and bought longer screws to accommodate the thickness of the table.
    If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

You can either make a switch with an electrical box and a switch or you can buy pre-made unit like this on...

http://www.amazon.com/Highland-Woodw.../dp/B0001YRCKQ

or

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...2&cookietest=1

Comment

Originally posted by Fightgar View Post
        Anywho...isn't any switch that I hook up going to have the same effect on the router as turning it on before plugging it into power?
        I'm not sure I understand the question, so are you asking if the "softstart" capability is somehow activated by the mechanics of the router's own switch? I would presume NOT, but honestly don't know. While my knowledge may be limited with regard to the "softstart" circuit, it would seem logical to me, that the initial application of electrical current would be controlled by the circuitry, and not by the specific use of the Router's integral switch.

Safety-wise, I wouldn't put myself in jeopardy by trusting a "switch" of any kind. Best practice is to always unplug the power tool before making adjustments, especially when any appendages are coming into close contact with the tool. Always unplug!

As previously mentioned, most router table mounting is done with the subbase removed from the router. This provides for maximum cutting depth.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
          I'm not sure I understand the question...
          I think he's saying that wiring an external switch between the router and the source of electricity is like plugging the router into an electric plug with the router turned on already. It's effectively by-passing the ON/OFF switch on the router. And the question is will that harm or damage the electrical workings in the router.

Sounds like a reasonable question, but I haven't a clue...
          I can't hear a difference between using the router switch and plugging it in already turned on, but not sure that means anything.

- djb

Sorry, CWSmith, after re-reading your post, I think you read the question same as I do. I looked around on the net and can't find anything relevant. Maybe a Tech Support question(?)
          Last edited by djb; 03-01-2007, 09:29 PM. Reason: post comment
          sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Working...
          X