X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid and Home Depot are making a huge mistake

anytime i try to get my hands on stationary tools at HD, there are boxes or crap fortressed around them. the limited time they are accessible, it seems reqisite parts are absent, dangling or mutilated.

i never understand the moaning connected with hd purchases. where else can you basically try a tool for 90 days and return it for no reason at all, if you desire.
    Last edited by CheekyMonkeyWrench; 03-01-2007, 10:22 PM.

Comment

just got back from h.d. it's the busiest/ highest grossing h.d in the nation i understand.

the tool isle has been cleaned up and the only stationary tools on display are the benchtop models. the big stuff is stashed below the shelves of display cards. this even includes all the 3-9 pack kits of cordless. the individual cordless tools are on display both in the tool isles and end caps. dewalt, roybi, and ridgid.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Finally was able to drop by the local HD here today. All the power tools are still on display and no evidence of them being removed from the floor in the future. I wonder if some store managers are willing to fight a new policy at HD. There is only 1 more store near here and I'll check there too if I get the chance.
        If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Now theyve done it here in wilmington NC, stupid ,stupid stupid. I keep trtying to push ridgid wood working tools to my friends because I really love the tools and things like this keep happening that makes me look stupid to these people that i would support such a poorly managed brand
          \"practice is like farting; only you can do it yourself\' and no one can do it for you\"-sawaki kodo (zen master)

Comment

I live in eastern Canada, HD just closed a store and opened a brand new one a couple of miles (speaking American ah) away. I doesn't have a tool correl like the old one did but it defianatly has a large tool section. It has all the biggies out, drill press, bandsaw, both table saws. In fact I just bought a TS3650 there last week and to echo the majority "I would not have bought it with out getting to touch it" Conspicuously missing was the Rigid jointer. I've been told HD is dropping it. Don't know if that's just up here or all over. Glad I got mine for Christmas.

Regards, Daryl

PS: I came looking for a part number and decided to join.

Comment

I will do some asking around up here to see what is happening. It wouldnt suprise me though, there is a marketing genius in Atlanta that decides what goes where nowadays and all the stores are starting to be laid out the same. Those endcaps on the aisles are all planned out in Atlanta, and they are starting to design the layouts on the aisles also.

I havent been at Lowes too many times, but from looking at their tools on the web, I can see they have a much better selection than HD does. Im in the market for a bandsaw and dont want to spend alot. I have a 20% off coupon for HD, but I dont want the Ridgid, so guess where Im going to buy mine. Lowes will take the coupon, while there Im also buying a new miterbox and if I can talk the wife into it, a new bathroom floor. Sorry HD my loyalty ends at the wallet, and from the way they have been scheduling, thats where their loyalty begins. (sorry got into rant mode)

BTW if you want to complain (or compliment) HD on anything, the best way to do it is to fill out that survey on the bottom of your receipt. Those comments get printed up to each store and read at meetings and posted. If you had a good experience, make sure to put the employees name in. These comments and overall rating get added up, and stores get a bonus (that goes back to the employees--our store gave 3 random employees, who had their names mentioned in the survey, each $1000 AFTER taxes)

Comment

Originally posted by Orange Apron View Post

BTW if you want to complain (or compliment) HD on anything, the best way to do it is to fill out that survey on the bottom of your receipt. Those comments get printed up to each store and read at meetings and posted. If you had a good experience, make sure to put the employees name in. These comments and overall rating get added up, and stores get a bonus (that goes back to the employees--our store gave 3 random employees, who had their names mentioned in the survey, each $1000 AFTER taxes)
                This is good to know. I am always very pleased when I in to a good employee at HD. The majority seem to just try to send you to the other end of the store if they don't know what it is you are talking about. There is a HD about every half mile out here in northern Cali and my local one has a HD PRO right across the street, the difference with the PRO being they don't have all of the home owner stuff and it looks more like a true lumber yard. The people there (at the PRO store) seem to know what they are talking about more often. Anyway, my point is that now that I know they listen to customers I will be sure to give good feedback whenever I can.
                A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

[QUOTE=Orange Apron;70596}
                  I havent been at Lowes too many times, but from looking at their tools on the web, I can see they have a much better selection than HD does.

Lowes has alot of things on their website but most of them are internet catalog only. Home Depot and Lowes are both market driven which means they design the store to cater to dumba**es who know nothing about tools. If you really want a great tool buying experience then your going to have to find locally owned like Redmond & Sons here in Atlanta ([url]http://www.redmond-machinery.com/default.htm)[/url]. They have all the big names and have refurbished Delta tools. I have not been to their store yet but I have their catalog and I will be purchasing all my stationary tools from them.

On another note Ridgid has done every tool buyer a huge favor. They put true competition into the power tool market. They gave us great tools at a affordable price. That was something that no other company was willing to do. Unfortunately for Ridgid that took a deal with the devil (Home Depot). I am a contractor and I have just had to learn to take Home Depot for what it is worth. And try to do most of my business with locally owned businesses. Yeah sometimes it cost more but if for nothing else it is worth it for the service.

Comment

Originally posted by darylb View Post
                    I live in eastern Canada, HD just closed a store and opened a brand new one a couple of miles (speaking American ah) away. I doesn't have a tool correl like the old one did but it defianatly has a large tool section. It has all the biggies out, drill press, bandsaw, both table saws. In fact I just bought a TS3650 there last week and to echo the majority "I would not have bought it with out getting to touch it" Conspicuously missing was the Rigid jointer. I've been told HD is dropping it. Don't know if that's just up here or all over. Glad I got mine for Christmas.

Regards, Daryl

PS: I came looking for a part number and decided to join.
                    the display jointer just got removed and none in stock at my local hd.

Comment

It may just all boil down to business. It's possible that the big tools just don't sell often enough to warrant all the floor space. Every square foot in any store is worth money and if the product is not making that money, it needs to go. When you think about it, just try to figure out how often someone comes in and buys a big tool! Maybe a few a week, 3 or 4 a week? I dunno, but if the sales are slow and they can move in something else into that same space that sells faster and brings in more money, it's just smart business. The reason Sears did it for so long and still does is because they are known for having good entry level woodworking tools and sell a ton of them! While they are not the best, they have a good rep and good advertising. Guess Ridgid will just have to find a different place to sell their goods.
                      Dewalt has a big TS but i've never seen one on the floor of HD yet either.

Mark
                      Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
                        It may just all boil down to business. It's possible that the big tools just don't sell often enough to warrant all the floor space. Every square foot in any store is worth money and if the product is not making that money, it needs to go. When you think about it, just try to figure out how often someone comes in and buys a big tool! Maybe a few a week, 3 or 4 a week? I dunno, but if the sales are slow and they can move in something else into that same space that sells faster and brings in more money, it's just smart business. The reason Sears did it for so long and still does is because they are known for having good entry level woodworking tools and sell a ton of them! While they are not the best, they have a good rep and good advertising. Guess Ridgid will just have to find a different place to sell their goods.
                        Dewalt has a big TS but i've never seen one on the floor of HD yet either.

Mark
                        Mark
                        I agree it is a cost versus space versus profit versus number of sales. But if you look at it from Ridgid point of view. HD is their exclusive retailer now that the products are not on display where does a person go to see them.

I think you highly overate Sears, in my neck of the woods their reputation is in the gutter and the fact that bankrupted K-mart was able to buy them I would say that reputation was probably true everywhere.

At one time nearly every garage had a Craftsman tablesaw or Radial arm sitting in it. Today only those that don't any better buy from Sears.

Ridgid and HD were in an excellent position to have Ridgid tools in every garage until HD decided they were going to follow Sears marketing practices and Ridgid allowed them.
                        Rev Ed

Comment

Just got off the phone with Duluth MN. Home Depot, and so far they haven't heard anything about this. As far as the manager knows and understands they will always carry stationary tools. Famous last words "knows and understands", I wouldn't doubt that with in this month they will stop also. I actually went to Menards to buy the Jet table saw, and they no longer display them, so I looked at other brands there, small, cheap, unreliable,( their main brand is Toolshop major piece of crap) then I went to H.D. and fell in love with the TS 3650. Menards lost my business because there wasn't any bigger table saw. I think Ridgid will lose $$$ because of Home Depot decision, but not from me, I own about $1800.00 of Ridgid tools and I am pleased with every one of them, so Ridgid all I have to say is, start selling your tools at Amazon.com, and hopefully we'll get free shipping with all tools.
                          I just emailed H.D. this post and asked them to respond back in this forum, so hopefully we'll see a response back from the main department.
                          Last edited by garager; 03-06-2007, 09:53 PM.
                          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

i bought stock in lowes about 5 years ago. i had never been inside a lowes until a couple of years ago. not to close to where i live

but the way this is going, i made the right decision. lowes stock has tripled and h.d. is flat

i believe there is alot more profit in all the accesories for these items. too bad h.d. doesn't stock them either. it would help offset the cost of floor space.

out here the cost leasing a place like h.d. would run over $4.00 a square foot per month, triple net so that little saw that sits more than it's sold might not have the profits to justify the floor space.

the saw is still for sale, it's just boxed up and laying flat

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I believe thats true plumber rick, there probably is more dollars in accessories, no dispute in that. However there is probably 20' above those stationary tools that is nothing but air. If the layout is done properly everything can fit in these giant size stores. Why take the risk of removing the bigger items and losing customers. And with out people buying your bigger items, then theres no need for them buy accessories to build a nice set up. I know people get very offensive when changes happen, and it does all the time everywhere. But in this case I need to look at a machine that I'm going to spend a few hundred of dollars on or thousand $, not having to wait 3 weeks for it to show up at the store, then spend a day to set up, and if I don't like it now theres even more time taking it down, returning the item and spending more time looking all over again, and possibly doing the whole process over again, what a major headache that would be. I like H.D. and hope their stocks do not drop, even though I don't own any...
                              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I have received an email from H.D. Consumer Affairs, this is what they said.

Hello,

We appreciate your feedback. Listening to our customers is very
                                important to us. Your information has been received by Home Depot's
                                Customer Care Department and will be responded to as soon as possible.
                                Customer Care will create a record of your feedback and ensure it is
                                given to the appropriate individuals for review. If further action on
                                our part is needed, a Customer Care Professional, or a member of our
                                Home Depot store's management will be in contact with you.

Again, thank you for providing us with your comments.

Sincerely,

Home Depot
                                Customer Care Department

"If further action on our part is needed"

I don't want to be judge mental but I have received to many letters in the past to know whats going to happen next and thats, "NOTHING". I sure hope that I'm wrong on this and they will give an explanation regarding our topic here.

Comment

Working...
                                X