X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid and Home Depot are making a huge mistake

All of the above are reasons I only purchased the Ridgid MSUV & never any other Ridgid tools the relationship between Ridgid & Huge Disappointment stinks & always has.

Comment

Around here they told us that people have "their" store and rarely check anything else out. I can see that, I have 2 neighbors who buy alot of stuff from Menards. One I have never seen in HD and the other one came in once. Yesterday I checked out Lowes, and the place was dead. I stood in their tool dept for 20 minutes and not one vest came up to me. An hour later I was at work at HD and the place was packed. For once we had too much coverage in the tool dept, so the customers were getting helped right away (whether they needed it or not)

Comment

I worked at HD for about five years. I was hired just before Bob Nardelli (the former CEO) was hired. There was a noticeable change in the atmosphere and running of the stores when Nardelli came in. Many HD faithful see his hiring as the death of what used to be a pretty good company. Focus shifted from the customer to share holders. I have worked in four different stores in two different states so I feel like I have a good foot to stand on. It's been a couple of years since I left HD but it doesn't look like much has changed. The bottom line is that HD is a business and as such will do whatever they can to maximize profits. If that means hiring less experienced people for a lower wage, cutting the number of employees on the floor or removing big items from display, then they will do it.
        In my opinion customer service is all but dead. My devotion lies with selection and price. I go to who has the tool at the cheapest price. Although it would be a pain remember that you can always buy the tool and take it back, no questions asked, if you're not satisfied.
        I whole heartedly agree that pulling the big tool displays is a huge mistake. However, after being with the company for 5 years I am no longer surprised by anything that they do in the name of higher profits.

Comment

Why doesnt ridgid just open its own store fronts and sell thier tools ?? Who says a store HAS to sell all the big names? Just open a ridgid store and be done with it. I have a dewalt only store about 2 min from me. I still buy ridgid. I have a ridgid service center 5.5 miles from me but if ridgid had its own store......HINT HINT. I will shop lowes or other stores from now on. I have had 3 bad strikes with HD. They all concern customer support. The people in all 5 of my HD stores really need to go back to school and learn what the hell the tools are. I know more about what they sell than the people working there. If HD's become in way a knock off of supermarts, I know many people who will join me in shopping elsewhere.

Comment

When I was in the market for a table saw I research the field in magazines and on the WWW. I had pretty well made up my mind to buy a Griz until I went to HD and layed my hands on the TS3650. Had it not been there, HD wouldn't have sold me anything, including several other tools.
            Josh, are you listening? Maybe you could ask management at the corporate level to take a look at this thread.

Blind Bill

Comment

Notice has been taken (actually since day 1 of this thread).

Originally posted by blind bill View Post
              When I was in the market for a table saw I research the field in magazines and on the WWW. I had pretty well made up my mind to buy a Griz until I went to HD and layed my hands on the TS3650. Had it not been there, HD wouldn't have sold me anything, including several other tools.
              Josh, are you listening? Maybe you could ask management at the corporate level to take a look at this thread.

Blind Bill

Comment

At least one Home Depot in NJ hasn’t gone to pictures the one by me recently redid the tool area, there are little platforms for the stationary tools, they are divided up by manufacturer, Dewalt, Ridgid, and Ryobi. Its kind of nice but you have to walk between 3 displays to look at three of the same type of tool.

Unfortunately most of the Aprons in the tool area don’t know anything about the tools other than what the sticker on the display says, fortunately I can find info on the net.

Comment

As I mentioned in another thread, my local Home Depot not only doesn't have any MaxSelect tools on display, they don't acknowledge they exist. The wouldn't even admit, or remember having them on display this Christmas. Told me Ridgid had discontinued their entire 24V line.

Comment

Well it hit my local store here in the Corning, NY area. I haven't visited the store in a couple of weeks and went in this afternoon. The display units are all gone. Up front near the main entrance they had the 3650 and the Ridgid bandsaw on display with a big sign that said "Buy these tools together and save $75.00"

What a joke, you'd think these guys would be embarrassed to death by this. The tables are so stained and corroded that you'd have to spend a week sanding the heck out of them to reach a polished iron look. Missing parts, screws, manuals, safety guard on the BS is just sitting there with no mounting screws, etc. Back in the tool area, where these tools have spent the last three years, they've constructed some crude wood shelving and have the various brand combos on display. No prices, or model numbers, just the tools spread out in groups.

It looks like a bunch of "can't make the grade" local yokels got together for a beer party and threw this stuff together. The Senco, auto feed screw guns are resting on a board stretched across and end-cap, with at least a couple hundred screws driven into it... Looks like the orange apron boys got pumped up and had some fun!

But it all fits in with the dirty, grubbed up stuff the local store hawks as being "reconditioned" and for sale at a whopping 10% off the regular price.

I don't know what's going on, but this particular Home Depot appears to have lost any sense of retailing and, at least in my opinion, is doing a great disservice to the Ridgid and Ryobi brands that it has an "exclusive" agreement with.

CWS

Comment

Hello All,

Not to change the subject, but regarding the current conditions at HD, there was a recent article on msn.com from a writer who used to frequent HD on a regular basis. He and his wife initially called HD "our store", as in "Honey, I going to our store", and everyone knew what store.

With the decline in conditions at many HD's, his article addresses many of the problems posted here. He talks about the lack of staff, especially the knowledgeable people ( the actual carpenters, electricians, plumbers who hold part-time jobs at HD- this was one of the BIG reasons I started shopping there; the guy instructing me did it for a living), the dingy conditions, why they do not shop there any more.

His article must have have hit home in a big way, as the new CEO of HD felt compelled to write back to him, addressing many of these points. His response is also available for viewing, a link was provided.

Here is the link:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...gShoppers.aspx

Here is the link to the CEO's response:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...etYouDown.aspx

OK, we can go back to the original ranting.

Cheers
                      ----------------------------
                      "Most computer problems can be traced back to ID 10 T errors."

Comment

Originally posted by shadow View Post
                        Hello All,

Not to change the subject, but regarding the current conditions at HD, there was a recent article on msn.com from a writer who used to frequent HD on a regular basis. He and his wife initially called HD "our store", as in "Honey, I going to our store", and everyone knew what store.

With the decline in conditions at many HD's, his article addresses many of the problems posted here. He talks about the lack of staff, especially the knowledgeable people ( the actual carpenters, electricians, plumbers who hold part-time jobs at HD- this was one of the BIG reasons I started shopping there; the guy instructing me did it for a living), the dingy conditions, why they do not shop there any more.

His article must have have hit home in a big way, as the new CEO of HD felt compelled to write back to him, addressing many of these points. His response is also available for viewing, a link was provided.

Here is the link:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...gShoppers.aspx

Here is the link to the CEO's response:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...etYouDown.aspx

OK, we can go back to the original ranting.

Cheers
                        Thanks for pointing out that article. As was requested by the new CEO we should all send our comments and suggestions to wehearyou@homedepot.com

Comment

Interesting response from Frank Blake (new CEO). He is in a very good position to "blame it on the last guy" with whom everyone appears to be disgusted with anyway, and use that as a springboard.

I have noticed that, as mentioned in "the response" that I usually get a greeting when I enter the store no matter how filthy I am from working in the yard or shop. I have high hopes, yet at the same time, I can't wait for my town to get a Lowe's even though they don't sell Ridgid and the sheet goods are equally pathetic. I no longer buy power tools at HD other than the occational Ridgid. I go to Amazon for better price and selection. HD does not carry many of the woodworking items I need either.

It's funny that CWS mentioned the condition of the display tools. I was at a Cummins Tools truck sale and saw some reconditioned Ridgids. I started laughing becuase they were in the same sorry condition as the display items at my local HD. But at least the Eagle's Hall was cleaner.

I'll keep hoping for the best, while spending my tool money at Amazon. Maybe the new CEO's Home (Depot) improvement project will work.

I don't think Ridgid should go as far as solo store front (it would raise the cost for consumers). I would like to see them in other hardware stores, and on Amazon (new not recon.). They would make a killing, and we'd probably end up with an even wider selection of tools as a result.
                          Ern

Comment

I was just in Home Depot and noticed a price drop in the 3650. I wonder if this is an attempt to spur sales? I will bet they experienced a huge drop in sales by taking the machines out of the store and now they are trying to save something.

What I find real interesting is Home Depots decision to remove the machines just after Lowes redid their tool coral and dedicated an area to free standing power tools.

In the old Lowes layout the power tools were almost aisle blockers now they are in one area and very accessible to the customer but easly observed to protect them from people that want to see if they can hang off the rip fence locking handle until it breaks.

All things are circular so I suspect before long HD will bring back the tools displays. I just wonder how low they will of cut the cost of the 3650 until then. Keep your eyes open there may be some huge deals coming.
                            Rev Ed

Comment

I also forgot to mention I think HD and this decision to remove the displays has really hurt business.

About two years ago Ridgid/Hd put the MSUV on sell for $99. You couldn't get one. I saw lines of people buying them the instant they were put out. I know I stood in line and watched the guy two people in front of me take the last one.

While I was in the HD I saw the MSUV was once again on sale and they had a ton of them. I asked about it and the employee said they hardly sold one. He felt the customers were feed up with HD/ridgid and were going elsewhere.

Well if nothing else this move to remove displays might be used in business management as a demostration of how to shoot yourself in the foot. I can hear the concept now.

If something isn't selling well make it harder for the customer to see and buy and sales will get worst.

That goes alone with the current teaching if something isn't selling well don't stock it, that way it will never sell.

Which I think is tied into the one where if something is selling don't reorder it, you will only increase cost of labor having to pay someone to put in on the shelves.
                              Rev Ed

Comment

Originally posted by RevEd View Post
                                I was just in Home Depot.......Keep your eyes open there may be some huge deals coming.
                                The real deals are when things are clearanced out. Through some bizarre corporate economics it makes sense to remove the remaining stock at near or sometimes, below cost.

This last Christmas you could buy the 4 piece 24 volt Ridgid combos for $317. The 24 volt drill was a mere $119. Heck, the battery alone is around $90. I bought Ryobi's most expensive 3 speed hammer drill for $30. $35 for the Ryobi circular saw. It is especially funny to see the new model, sitting beside it, for twice the price (and sometimes defeatured.)

Some other deals.

Ridgid 18 volt cordless planer for $80.

$450 customer return Honda lawn mower for $220.

Ridgid two piece 18 volt kits at Christmas for $137.

Ridgid, Two nailers and 9.6v pivoting screwdriver for $118.

Skil Lithium 10.8V driver for $47.

Happy hunting.

Comment

Working...
                                X