X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid and Home Depot are making a huge mistake

I was just in my Home Depot and found they are removing all stationary power tools from the store. In the future if you want to purchase a stationary tool like the 3650 tablesaw you have to decide looking at a picture.

I would never never buy a stationary power tool of any kind before I closely examined it. To me this way of doing business is like doing mail order and I would never mail order a stationary machine.

I know many do but I also believe there are many like me that would never consider it.

I want to touch it, feel it, see how smooth the cranks work, examine how it is built, check for slop and things not just right. I want to measure and poke it, heck I even want to kick the tires.

I will guess the sale of ridgid equipment will plummet from this decision.
    Rev Ed

Re: Ridgid and Home Depot are making a huge mistake

does that mean the tool will not be in stock to pick up? or is it will not be on display to see the assembled product?

i guess we have to have good reviews for the tools to sell in the future. i would think that some new buyers are looking into this forum prior to the big purchase. probably more if the tools are not on display.

i noticed that alot of the combo kits are not on display. just the pictures of what's included. there are still plenty of drills and saw on display. just not every combo kit. i would think that at the end of the year, h.d. ends up with alot of tools out of the box.

rick
    phoebe it is

Comment

So far at my store I know there are no plans for that. I agree that it would be sales suicide if that decision would happen.

My store has a whole dedicated 'showroom' for all the stationary tools and i don't think anything else put there would sell as well as the stationary tools. I'm not sure where you heard that but i can only assume it might only be a store wide decision and not a company wide one.

Comment

It would not surprise me if DeWalt is bringing pressure on HD due too the dent they are taking in the tool sales.

Some years ago, the Dewalt service center used to sell recon Dewalt tools. When Dewalt got the big contract with HD, they (HD) made the service center stop selling recons. Really sucks!! Nothing like good competition but this DW BS is getting on my nerves. I've been a DW fan for years but their antics are starting to change my mind.

Mark
        Last edited by The Wood Meister; 02-27-2007, 06:40 PM.
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

My local HD (Jacksonville, FL) did this sometime in the last week. Weekend before last, TS3650 and other stuff out on display. This weekend, I went in to buy the TS3650 and every last stationary tool was packed up. Nothing on display except the benchtop lightwight tools.

Comment

They did the same thing in the two stores near me. Palm Bay and Melbourne, Fl. Look for them to put the floor models on sale I missed the 25% or more savings by a couple of hours.

Comment

I stopped in my nearest HD last weekend to pick up a new breaker and was kind of surprised to see the opposite. They have at least 2 and some up to 5 of the stationary tools set up on the floor and selling them that way! They had 2 of the TS3650's, many of the MSUV's, 5 jointers and a couple of planers all set up and at regular price. I wouldn't care to buy one of those and get it home (except maybe the MSUV) all set up.

I remember some time ago I had an argument with a HD manager because they wanted to charge me a $25 assembly fee on a wheel barrow and had 15 of them set up ready to sell and none in the box to even give me an option! He ended up seeing the reality of the situation but it was a silly conversation to even be having. Buddy of mine had same situation with a grill he got there. Wonder if they might try to do the same at this store with those tools....
              Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

It is starting to appear to be a Florida thing. Is anyone outside of Florida seeing the stationary tools being removed from the floor?

Comment

I'm not surprised, eventually HD will not be selling tools at all. The tool crib will become either a small supermarket or something like a mini TV store.
                  www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

That's really a shame. It was the tool on display at Home Depot that made my decision. Seeing the 3650, and actually being able to work the fence and see how well it moved and locked, as well as the absolutely spiffy mobile base were what made the sale for me. A picture just doesn't do it. I wouldn't have bought the 3650 were it not for my local HD having it on display. That purchase then led to the Ridgid jointer, the drill press, and the band saw. They need to understand that real people need to touch real products if we're gonna part with our real money.
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Sears learned the hard way by getting rid of their display tools some years ago, now they have brought them back.
                      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

My decision for me to but the TS 3650, and not another brand ( and I look at a bunch of them) was, I locked the fence up and hit it with my hand, and it didn't move. Sold right there, the stand wiggled like crazy but I new I could beef that up. Stationary tools I must see or I will go to another store, however if a lot of people say this machine is a very good one then I'll go for it. O fcourse I will do a lot of comparison no matter what...
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

That is also the case in Georgia. A few months ago they got rid of all the floor model units. The only things that remains is a jointer. Everything else was sold at reasonable mark down price. However, there were now LLSA's to go along with those products. I will admit, it cleaned up the section but I like to fidget and kick tires when I am looking at buying new tools.

Comment

This is effecting all the stores in the Tampa region and it is all power tools. One HD had Dewalt planer on close out, reason "slow mover".

I talked to the tool guy and he just shakes his head. He couldn't believe they were doing it. In fact he mentioned when they first open one store in the area they have a Ridgid corral (work site) in the store, he said on Saturdays they have guys that knew what they were doing demo'ing the tools and were selling them like crazy. He said sales dropped off because they didn't have any more machines in stock, so the store manager decided it was not worth it and closed the whole thing down.

He agrees he believes they might as well just pull all remaining Ridgid stock out of his store cause he can't believe to many will buy sight unseen.

Ridgid I think this is going to effect your bottom line big time.
                            Rev Ed

Comment

this is also happening in CT. I just dont understand who is running this company? Are they running it into the ground for a reason? For now we have about 10 feet of pictures to buy our tools from.
                              I was so surprised when I went to Lowes and their set up of tools was just friggin fantastic! So many more to choose from and set up nicely and a better variety. Can't wait for a closer one to open. I'm saying this because I've been a HD customer for 17 years and as a company should have improved instead of drasticaly declined with service, products maybe just everything and I am sorry to say this.

Comment

Working...
                              X