X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RevEd
    started a topic Ridgid and Home Depot are making a huge mistake

Ridgid and Home Depot are making a huge mistake

I was just in my Home Depot and found they are removing all stationary power tools from the store. In the future if you want to purchase a stationary tool like the 3650 tablesaw you have to decide looking at a picture.

I would never never buy a stationary power tool of any kind before I closely examined it. To me this way of doing business is like doing mail order and I would never mail order a stationary machine.

I know many do but I also believe there are many like me that would never consider it.

I want to touch it, feel it, see how smooth the cranks work, examine how it is built, check for slop and things not just right. I want to measure and poke it, heck I even want to kick the tires.

I will guess the sale of ridgid equipment will plummet from this decision.

• Wood_Junkie
    replied
    Re: Ridgid and Home Depot are making a huge mistake

I'm a pretty commited Ridgid user, having the TS3650, the bandsaw, the planer, a shop-vac, and the air filtration thing.

However, HD's idiocy has lost two rather large sales, one of which was a Ridgid jointer. The other was a $500 SCMS. This was over the last 6 months. So this thread now clarifies, perhaps, the reason why.. Anyway.

Both of my local HD's only had floor models of the jointer. I asked about getting a jointer, as the Ridgid model was at the top of my list, due largely to it's reviews and the included features. Every apron I spoke to said they didn't have any in stock, and didn't know when they'd be getting any. Mind you, this was about 5 months ago. They also would not sell me the display model (WTH!?) So, after waiting a few weeks to see if anyone knew *anything* about the possibility of me being *able* to purchase a jointer at HD, I decided to just get the JET from Woodcraft during a 15% off sale. I bought the display model from Woodcraft. It was in *immaculate* condition and perfectly setup... and I mean calibrated to the point that it saved me several hours when I got it home. With the discount it came out to $30 less than I would've paid at HD anyway (even using a 10% off coupon at HD). To be honest, I really, really like the JET so part of me is glad. But overall I was just utterly disappointed with HD.

This snafu occurred after I tried to purchase a Bosch 4410L SCMS through HD. They don't carry it in store. After 4 un-returned phone calls to the tool section, I finally got in touch with someone who gave me a price... $10 more than the website. Fine. When I called back another day to order it, the price had gone up $120 more than the website, and no one was "in" that could actually order it. I wound up buying it from Amazon for $30 less and it was en route within 24 hours.

Nearly $1000 in purchases lost primarily due to incompetence.
    Overall, I avoid buying at HD if I can find another source-- especially for lumber. Obviously Ridgid and Ryobi tools still require a trip to the orange hole... but by and large, I'm done with them.

Leave a comment:

• Woussko
    replied

Keep your eyes open as some Home Depot locations now have a new heavy duty RIDGID post hole digger. I saw one and it looks very good. I can't find it on the Ridgid web site and the other thread has yet to get any feedback of value from someone at Ridgid. I have a feeling this may be a brand new test item.

Leave a comment:

• Disaster
    replied

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
    I noticed that HD now has Ridgid shovels. What's next? Ridgid gardening gloves?
    The shovel is a not an uncommon tool for plumbers to use, Ridgid's classic market. I'm keeping my eye out for the Ridgid post hole digger someone mentioned in another post. It sounds like it will work a lot better on deep holes...where regular post hole diggers fail because the handles hit the edges of the hole.

Leave a comment:

• Rafael
    replied

I noticed that HD now has Ridgid shovels. What's next? Ridgid gardening gloves?

Leave a comment:

• Disaster
    replied

Originally posted by brianss View Post
    Disaster - Did you happen to see the MaxSelect 24v Impact Driver? I would be shocked, if HD actually had this tool in stock. Also, you referred to a new grinder. Is there actually a MaxSelect 24v grinder? I didn't see any mention of this tool on the web site. Thx.
    No driver. Grinder was a mental lapse on my part. I meant they had all the tools but the MaxSelect Impact Driver.

Leave a comment:

• brianss
    replied

Disaster - Did you happen to see the MaxSelect 24v Impact Driver? I would be shocked, if HD actually had this tool in stock. Also, you referred to a new grinder. Is there actually a MaxSelect 24v grinder? I didn't see any mention of this tool on the web site. Thx.

Leave a comment:

• garager
    replied

No he was there, lurking around the corner and watching your every move, LOL..

Leave a comment:

• Disaster
    replied

So I stopped by the Pontiac, Home Depot today. The same one I visited about two weeks ago. The one that told me there weren't any MaxSelect Ridgid tools. The one that said they never carried them...though they had special shelves full of them at Xmas.

Surprise, Surprise.

The MaxSelect tools were on the shelf with all the other tools. They were mixed around. They had all of them except the new grinder. Plus, they had the battery packs and chargers.

I was looking for the "associate" who told me they didn't make them, they didn't stock them and they never did...but he wasn't around. Hmmmm...wonder if he was retired.

Leave a comment:

• Disaster
    replied

Originally posted by RevEd View Post
    I was just in Home Depot.......Keep your eyes open there may be some huge deals coming.
    The real deals are when things are clearanced out. Through some bizarre corporate economics it makes sense to remove the remaining stock at near or sometimes, below cost.

This last Christmas you could buy the 4 piece 24 volt Ridgid combos for $317. The 24 volt drill was a mere $119. Heck, the battery alone is around $90. I bought Ryobi's most expensive 3 speed hammer drill for $30. $35 for the Ryobi circular saw. It is especially funny to see the new model, sitting beside it, for twice the price (and sometimes defeatured.)

Some other deals.

Ridgid 18 volt cordless planer for $80.

$450 customer return Honda lawn mower for $220.

Ridgid two piece 18 volt kits at Christmas for $137.

Ridgid, Two nailers and 9.6v pivoting screwdriver for $118.

Skil Lithium 10.8V driver for $47.

Happy hunting.

Leave a comment:

• RevEd
    replied

I also forgot to mention I think HD and this decision to remove the displays has really hurt business.

About two years ago Ridgid/Hd put the MSUV on sell for $99. You couldn't get one. I saw lines of people buying them the instant they were put out. I know I stood in line and watched the guy two people in front of me take the last one.

While I was in the HD I saw the MSUV was once again on sale and they had a ton of them. I asked about it and the employee said they hardly sold one. He felt the customers were feed up with HD/ridgid and were going elsewhere.

Well if nothing else this move to remove displays might be used in business management as a demostration of how to shoot yourself in the foot. I can hear the concept now.

If something isn't selling well make it harder for the customer to see and buy and sales will get worst.

That goes alone with the current teaching if something isn't selling well don't stock it, that way it will never sell.

Which I think is tied into the one where if something is selling don't reorder it, you will only increase cost of labor having to pay someone to put in on the shelves.

Leave a comment:

• RevEd
    replied

I was just in Home Depot and noticed a price drop in the 3650. I wonder if this is an attempt to spur sales? I will bet they experienced a huge drop in sales by taking the machines out of the store and now they are trying to save something.

What I find real interesting is Home Depots decision to remove the machines just after Lowes redid their tool coral and dedicated an area to free standing power tools.

In the old Lowes layout the power tools were almost aisle blockers now they are in one area and very accessible to the customer but easly observed to protect them from people that want to see if they can hang off the rip fence locking handle until it breaks.

All things are circular so I suspect before long HD will bring back the tools displays. I just wonder how low they will of cut the cost of the 3650 until then. Keep your eyes open there may be some huge deals coming.

Leave a comment:

• erngum
    replied

Interesting response from Frank Blake (new CEO). He is in a very good position to "blame it on the last guy" with whom everyone appears to be disgusted with anyway, and use that as a springboard.

I have noticed that, as mentioned in "the response" that I usually get a greeting when I enter the store no matter how filthy I am from working in the yard or shop. I have high hopes, yet at the same time, I can't wait for my town to get a Lowe's even though they don't sell Ridgid and the sheet goods are equally pathetic. I no longer buy power tools at HD other than the occational Ridgid. I go to Amazon for better price and selection. HD does not carry many of the woodworking items I need either.

It's funny that CWS mentioned the condition of the display tools. I was at a Cummins Tools truck sale and saw some reconditioned Ridgids. I started laughing becuase they were in the same sorry condition as the display items at my local HD. But at least the Eagle's Hall was cleaner.

I'll keep hoping for the best, while spending my tool money at Amazon. Maybe the new CEO's Home (Depot) improvement project will work.

I don't think Ridgid should go as far as solo store front (it would raise the cost for consumers). I would like to see them in other hardware stores, and on Amazon (new not recon.). They would make a killing, and we'd probably end up with an even wider selection of tools as a result.
    Ern

Leave a comment:

• Disaster
    replied

Originally posted by shadow View Post
    Hello All,

Not to change the subject, but regarding the current conditions at HD, there was a recent article on msn.com from a writer who used to frequent HD on a regular basis. He and his wife initially called HD "our store", as in "Honey, I going to our store", and everyone knew what store.

With the decline in conditions at many HD's, his article addresses many of the problems posted here. He talks about the lack of staff, especially the knowledgeable people ( the actual carpenters, electricians, plumbers who hold part-time jobs at HD- this was one of the BIG reasons I started shopping there; the guy instructing me did it for a living), the dingy conditions, why they do not shop there any more.

His article must have have hit home in a big way, as the new CEO of HD felt compelled to write back to him, addressing many of these points. His response is also available for viewing, a link was provided.

Here is the link:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...gShoppers.aspx

Here is the link to the CEO's response:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...etYouDown.aspx

OK, we can go back to the original ranting.

Cheers
    Thanks for pointing out that article. As was requested by the new CEO we should all send our comments and suggestions to wehearyou@homedepot.com

Leave a comment:

• shadow
    replied

Hello All,

Not to change the subject, but regarding the current conditions at HD, there was a recent article on msn.com from a writer who used to frequent HD on a regular basis. He and his wife initially called HD "our store", as in "Honey, I going to our store", and everyone knew what store.

With the decline in conditions at many HD's, his article addresses many of the problems posted here. He talks about the lack of staff, especially the knowledgeable people ( the actual carpenters, electricians, plumbers who hold part-time jobs at HD- this was one of the BIG reasons I started shopping there; the guy instructing me did it for a living), the dingy conditions, why they do not shop there any more.

His article must have have hit home in a big way, as the new CEO of HD felt compelled to write back to him, addressing many of these points. His response is also available for viewing, a link was provided.

Here is the link:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...gShoppers.aspx

Here is the link to the CEO's response:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...etYouDown.aspx

OK, we can go back to the original ranting.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

Working...
X