X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to drill right angle

I am going to be drilling studs for wiring with screw-type auger bits (Ridgid brand purchased at Home Depot). I own the Ridgid right-angle impact driver that came with the cordless drill I purchased. Is this impact driver ok to use to drill these holes with this bit or do I need a right angle drill (as opposed to a right angle impact driver)???

Re: Looking to drill right angle

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work. The process of drilling a hole with an impact driver vs. a drill/driver is a little different since it you will hear the hammer mechanism kick in a lot but don't worry. I've drilled lots of holes with a spade bits on the ridgid 14.4 impact driver and it worked just fine, nice clean holes.

Comment

I dont think the impact driver is going to work out too well. May be ok for a few holes.

If you are building a house, do yourself a BIG favor and get a 1/2" drive right angle drill. (NOT Cordless). You will thank yourself before you finish.

Regards,

Comment

I am finishing off half of my basement, so I will be drilling several holes, but not a whole house worth

Comment

Heck, you can give it a try and see how it goes.

If you do try it, let us know how it works out.

Regards,

Comment

Yeah I think I will before I go out and spend money on ANOTHER power tool - hey, that might not be a bad idea - doesn't the guy with the most tools at the end win????

Comment

The guy with the most tools that he actually used wins.

I bought a Milwaukee right angle drill when I built my last home and did all the electrical work myself. If memory serves my correct it cost around $250.00. But it was well worth it. Lots of power, which the auger bits will need. However, I have only used it once since i built the house to drill rivets on some ball joints for a chevrolet pickup.

However, lots of "friends?" borrow it., Come to think of it, its amazing how many friends you have when they find out what tools you own.

Regards and good luck.

Comment

I've had very little luck using the 12v RA impact driver as a drill in tight places. I had better luck using a regular drill and a right angle adapter.
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by db415 View Post
                  I am going to be drilling studs for wiring with screw-type auger bits (Ridgid brand purchased at Home Depot). I own the Ridgid right-angle impact driver that came with the cordless drill I purchased. Is this impact driver ok to use to drill these holes with this bit or do I need a right angle drill (as opposed to a right angle impact driver)???

I've used my Ridgid right angle impact for this same purpose many times. I've drilled using a stubby paddle bit and it's worked out great. Just use a sharp bit and apply light pressure and it will work fine. You're not drilling an entire house worth of studs so it will be fine...

Comment

If you find yourself needing more drill, try looking around pawn shops, flea markets, auction barns and such. You might setup a day or two for just driling and then rent one.

Comment

Not to put down Ridgid power tools, because they are the best I around, but I bought one of those Craftsman mini T right angle drills (3/8, corded, 3.2 amp, vs) and it does the job pretty good. It fits in tight spaces and has no problem drilling through studs.

Comment

Working...
                      X