Oil vs. No Oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil vs. No Oil

I'm looking at picking up a air compressor for general around-the-house use, and I was wondering what the pros and cons were between compressors which use oil and those which do not.

Re: Oil vs. No Oil

Oil lubed compressors are generally of better build quality and outlast the oil-free type because of the reduced friction from the oil in the crankcase. They also tend to be much quieter for the same given size compressor as the oil-free counterpart. Whichever compressor you chose, make certain you anticipate future uses and get a large enough unit to provide enough SCFM rate for tools you might use. Also, I suggest you put an air line filter to remove unwanted dirt particles and condensed water to extend tool life.

Comment

Agree, enough said.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Yep, second the first post.

Had a buddy that bought a 30 gallon oil-less Craftsman. 3 compressors later, he finally bought an oil compressor. No more problems. I've got a Monkey Wards 30 gallon and it's going on 25 years now and never been down, and it runs 5 days a week! I have an oil-less hotdog Makita for taking to the job. It gets used maybe once a month so over use is not an issue.

Mark
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

I have a old Air-mate oil compressor I got used for $80. Dewalt sells the same compressor still for close to $200 both are made by emglo. I have had no trouble with it other than it likes to pop 15amp breakers. I also have a CH 20 gal no-oil I got in High School which was 7 years ago now. I have had no problem from it but I don't use it much other than for my impact and little things at the house. If you are going to just use it around the house. Dewalt has a 15 or 20 gal that goes to 200 psi. Gives you more with less space and would handle anything most home owners would throw at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
            Oil lubed compressors are generally of better build quality and outlast the oil-free type because of the reduced friction from the oil in the crankcase. They also tend to be much quieter for the same given size compressor as the oil-free counterpart. Whichever compressor you chose, make certain you anticipate future uses and get a large enough unit to provide enough SCFM rate for tools you might use. Also, I suggest you put an air line filter to remove unwanted dirt particles and condensed water to extend tool life.
            OH yeah! Quite air compressor? When things are that loud there is just loud and louder. And think it's because my stuff is old. I've heard plenty of new stuff out on jobsite and they are all loud. Nothing funnier than watching a home owner sh*t their pants as they walk by my air compressor when it comes on.

Comment

there are some stellar oil-less compressors on the market now, and they are actually quieter than any other oil-lubed compressors out there.

For the sake of comparison, take the Makita MAC2400, it's oil-lubed and registers at 79dB.

the thomas airpac pancake compressor is oil-ree and registers at 72dB.

the hitachi pancake compressor registers at 75dB.
              i have this one and have run it for weeks on end now, between framing and trimming, without problems. the induction motor can handle constant use.

figure out your future needs and decide accordingly (spraying, framing, trimming, tool use, etc).

Comment

Working...
              X