Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The New Home Depot.....

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
    As far as the forum spell check not working, you need to have an add-on spell checker installed that works with your browser for the spell chack to work.
    Bob D -

Looks like you could use an online spell checker yourself! ("spell chack to work")

I'm an old Mozilla Suite user, but I started using SeaMonkey last week. One nice feature in SM is a spell checker that underlines misspelled words anytime it is being used. Even typing in this forum. See attached pic for underlined misspelled words in this window and right-click dictionary menu.

- djb
    Attached Files
    sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Originally posted by VLL View Post
      One of the thing I don't like is Huge Disappointment comes to town & runs other long time small retailers under. The small retailers have products that HD refuses to carry so when the little guy is gone we can no longer get these products locally & have to search far & wide to find them.

If HD left town tomorrow I would not be Hugely Disappointed.

The fault is not Home Depot on this one, it is on us. We have stopped thinking past the present. We want something and we seek it out for cheap forgetting what effect that will have on our future.

I love dealing with local hardware stores, if they don't have it they will usually get it for you. They always seem to know how it works, what it is good for and any limitations or things to look out for. However they aren't the cheapest, they can't buy a zillion and get big price breaks.

Now comes the tricky part I must think. Okay if buy the cheapest how is the little guy going to stay alive? What am I going to do tomorrow when I need advice and the little guy isn't there? Okay maybe the best decision isn't buying the cheapest but rather supporting the guy I can depend on to be able to answer my questions, listen to my stupid jokes and tell me if I use that thing for what I'm thinking on doing I will probably get hurt and most certainly disapointed.
      It requires us to think past today.
      Rev Ed

Comment

RevEd
        Senior Member has some valid points. If we all purchase most of our products from the Home Depot's and Lowe's then the independents may go out of business and we will be totaly under the control of the big boxers.
        I also remember a few not so romantic things about the good old days and the small independents.
        1) They set the rules for when you could shop. It wasn't that long ago when the normal hours for most dealers was 8:00-5:00 and maybe half a day Sat. and forget Sunday. As contractors in the "time is money era" the boxies open at 6:00 so we can pick up job site materials and get on the job at a decent time.
        2) The small guys usually had a limited amount of stock. It was very common to have to wait for an order for the materials we needed. Also the independents would only carry on or two brands while the boxies carry many competing manufacturers.
        3)In the early days Home Depot had very experianced reps in each of the trades in their stores. As an inexperianced home rebuilder I greatly appreciated this kind of help. Alas....for the most part that kind of excellance is gone from the new Home Depot and Lowe's.
        4)Convienence of one stop shopping. When I'm doing a jop I can make one stop and fill my needs for carpentry, electrical, plumbing and tools. Saves a lot of tiem and money.
        5)Customer service-I can remember many times purchasing a defective product from a small independent and having a big fight to have the product replaced or refunded. In all my years and with thousands of dollars purchased I have never had a problem getting a defective product replaced or refunded at the box stores. I recently had a Stanley tape break that I had purchased at a small store I use when I'm in a hurry for fast in and out. I took it back for replacement and they started to jerk me around with "the tape has to broken in a certain way for Stanley to replace". I took the tape to Hoem Depot and walked out with a new one no questions asked.
        There are many reasons other than price that I do a lot of my buying at the boxies. I just hope that product knowledge and contractor needs will become a priority for Home Depot again.

Comment

The independents where I live are terribly overpriced and give you bad service unless you are a contractor. At HD even if the service is bad at least the prices and return policy is better.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by VLL View Post
            One of the thing I don't like is Huge Disappointment comes to town & runs other long time small retailers under. The small retailers have products that HD refuses to carry so when the little guy is gone we can no longer get these products locally & have to search far & wide to find them.
            I agree, very irritating sometimes.
            While I do appreciate the hours, picking out my own materials, cheaper prices, I am often frustrated with being able to find whatever it is I'm looking for.
            If an item is not a fast mover or big seller chances are you won't find it at HD.
            The tool section, paint shop and kitchen centers usually have people around but I find that the aisles are usually desolate and if I do manage to flag someone down they usually reply "don't know" or "not my department"I don't know how many extra miles I've logged in there looking for left handed discombobulators etc.
            Oh well I do try and support the other local yards if they're open and if they're not too much more. In my business time is money so cheaper sometimes isn't
            Cheers! - Jim
            -------------
            All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

In my area, I just saw ground breaking for a new ACE HOME CENTER and from what I could see it's going to be a pretty large building. I really doubt that HD or Lowes will have anything to fear, but it's nice to see it coming.

Comment

Here is my deal with Home Depot. I have bought tools, equipment, material, carpet, lumber, trim, something from just about every department with many thousands of dollars. It was fairly competitive and pretty good selections. RECENTLY, though, customer service is absolutely terrible. I get frustrated tracking down help, getting questions answered and frankly the stores i shop in JUST DON"T CARE. I bought Rigid compound miter, the big one, and a Rigid router among other things. Both the saw and the router needed to be fixed. I got so pissed at the return desk trying to get help I walked out of the store before it got ugly. That was with the department manager arguing with me about it.
                There are other places to shop I will not purchase anything major again unless something DRASTICALLY changes. I will start shopping other places first before i buy any equipment or material.
                There are a lot of mom and pop shops i will start giving my business to.
                PS Home Depot, i am a GC in the remodeling business and have a trim carpentry business and 12 employees. my money spend other places too! Homeowners ask me all the time where to get something they are interested in.

I have more than a bone to pick with them. Thanks for treating me like crap.

As a side note, the rigid parts.com site is broken. Everytime i try to order a collate for my router the web site breaks.
                Last edited by zimba; 03-07-2007, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                  RevEd
                  Senior Member has some valid points. If we all purchase most of our products from the Home Depot's and Lowe's then the independents may go out of business and we will be totaly under the control of the big boxers.
                  I also remember a few not so romantic things about the good old days and the small independents.
                  1) They set the rules for when you could shop. It wasn't that long ago when the normal hours for most dealers was 8:00-5:00 and maybe half a day Sat. and forget Sunday. As contractors in the "time is money era" the boxies open at 6:00 so we can pick up job site materials and get on the job at a decent time.
                  2) The small guys usually had a limited amount of stock. It was very common to have to wait for an order for the materials we needed. Also the independents would only carry on or two brands while the boxies carry many competing manufacturers.
                  3)In the early days Home Depot had very experianced reps in each of the trades in their stores. As an inexperianced home rebuilder I greatly appreciated this kind of help. Alas....for the most part that kind of excellance is gone from the new Home Depot and Lowe's.
                  4)Convienence of one stop shopping. When I'm doing a jop I can make one stop and fill my needs for carpentry, electrical, plumbing and tools. Saves a lot of tiem and money.
                  5)Customer service-I can remember many times purchasing a defective product from a small independent and having a big fight to have the product replaced or refunded. In all my years and with thousands of dollars purchased I have never had a problem getting a defective product replaced or refunded at the box stores. I recently had a Stanley tape break that I had purchased at a small store I use when I'm in a hurry for fast in and out. I took it back for replacement and they started to jerk me around with "the tape has to broken in a certain way for Stanley to replace". I took the tape to Hoem Depot and walked out with a new one no questions asked.
                  There are many reasons other than price that I do a lot of my buying at the boxies. I just hope that product knowledge and contractor needs will become a priority for Home Depot again.
                  Junior members also can make good points.
                  I agree there is trade offs to be made on both sides of the stick.
                  I know an independant that takes very good care of me, even insuring a delivery was made before normal store hours so I could get a job done.

Your right about returns, usually a small guy eats the lost. However I have witnessed some returns at HD that were anything but smooth. In fact one guy backed his truck through the front, hence the reason most HD have concrete poles in front of the doors.

Price is usually lower at the big box but often the quality is too, especially in wood. Selection is usually greater in the big box unless you go to a speciality items. I dare you to find soffit dry wall or fire code dry wall in a big box but both are common items at the dry wall store. Incidently soffit dry wall is somewhere between regular dry wall and green board. I use it in bathroom ceilings so steam doesn't effect the ceiling and make it sag. Fire rated dry wall has a fire rating stamped on it and is required in commerical apps. My big boxes doesn't even know they exist much less carry them.

I will match the hardwood bought in any HD with the Hardwood bought at my local dealer and his hardwood will win every time hands down.

Yes it is trade off, you have to decide what you want and what you have to do to get it. Sometimes the big box wins and other times the local dealer wins. But I assure you it is not he big box that is driving little guys out it is our mentality that refuses to think past the present that does that.
                  Rev Ed

Comment

Long ago in Illinois there was a HW store -- Handy Andy - it is gone

In Arizona there was a HW store called Home Base - it is gone

If Home Depot doesn't correct this problem....... It will be next and Lowes and Menards will be the new "super powers"

Comment

"left handed discombobulators"

Where did you find these? I was looking for one the other day with no luck.

---
                      djb, The spell check only works if you click on the Spell Check button, which I apparently did not on my last post to this thread. DOH!
                      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        "left handed discombobulators"

Where did you find these? I was looking for one the other day with no luck.
                        I finally had to go to a place called Slegg Lumber and I found them next to the whatchamacallits, thingamajigs and dealy-o's
                        Cheers! - Jim
                        -------------
                        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Hey jbergstrom, did you happen see any thingilmeboppers or doohickeys
                          while you where there? No one seems to carry those anymore?

Comment

I think its a "Merry Go Round" for me, I'll get pissed off at my local center, make a promise to myself never to shop there again. Then I'll go to Home Depot, get mad there eventually, then move on to Menards. Get mad there moved back to H.D., then back to the mom and pa center, back to menards. We'll always get mad at these places, something will go wrong. People come and go from the big box centers, just when you think you have a friend there with knowledge and is very helpful. now he or she is gone. So now your stuck with some kid with no knowledge, I try to teach these people when I'm shopping or ordering, they don't forget what you have done for them, so the next time you come in he or she will be right there to help you. Yes it gets frustrating, I know it would make my life easier if someone there knew what I was talking about, and go some thing like, Wait a minute you don't want that, you need this, cause this is the new and improved version. To stay on top of things, everyone must keep on learning, so try to teach and hopefully they will be listening and they won't forget, and they will look at you with respect, hopefully...
                            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Davet View Post
                              Hey jbergstrom, did you happen see any thingilmeboppers or doohickeys
                              while you where there? No one seems to carry those anymore?
                              Davet I live in Canada, those must be American products
                              Cheers! - Jim
                              -------------

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                                My entire experiance with Home Depot until recently has been in the west including Oregon, California, and Arizona. I loved shopping there. As a retiree who has been purchasing and rehabing old houses for resale I appreciated their expertice and get-er-done attitude. HD staff were generally knowedgable and had the desire and independence of action to come to a positve resolution of problems.
                                I have been in the east for a couple of years and have recently started shopping at a newly opened HD in this area. This is a whole new corporation and not in a positive way. I have found most people I have been dealing with in the tool department to have very poor product knowledge and a beauracratic approach to dealing with questions. They seem to have no independent ability to make decisions at the local level.
                                I recently purchased the Rigid 24V LI four tool set. That process was more difficult than it should have been. One of the tool salesman told me they did not carry the Max/Select jig saw and in fact "had never heard of it". After leaving the store I called to determine if their inventory planning showed the product on delivery schedule. Customer service checked and informed me that they had 5 of the jig saws in stock.
                                On another visit a lady working in the department tried to sell me the extended warranty package that Home Depot sells. She would not believe me when I informed her that all Ridgid tools carry a Lifetime service agreement.
                                Today I walked into HD and was very happy to see a large Ridgid tool display extolling the virtues of Ridgid Max/Select tools. This display included a very large sign listing the Max/Select tools including the R8823 Impact Driver which I had been anxiously awaiting. There were boxes of saws, planers, and jig saws, but alas no Impact Drivers.
                                I asked the tool department guy who proceeded to walk me to a 18V set containing a Impact Driver and tried to tell me they are the same tool. I walked him to the large Ridgid display and showed him the sign and explained the nuances of the Max/Select tools. I'm not making this up. He had no knowledge about the features of the Max/Select tool line.
                                I went to customer service who found the R8823 listed on their inventory tables but informed me that there was a notation in their computer records showing they no longer carried this product. I informed him that this was a brand new product that they had never carried before. He called the tool department manager. She checked the computer and told me that the R8823 impact driver was a they no longer carried. I told her it was a new product and walked her out to the giant Ridgid Max/Select display and pointed to the large sign talking about the introduction of the R8823 Impact Driver. She was totaly unfazed about all this and told me that if the computer showed the R8823 as discontinued then it was discontinued. I suggested that sometimes computers made mistakes, and wasn't there another way. She demonstrated no knowledge of the point of the whole Ridgid Max/Select program. She said she could special order R8823 and asked if I would like her to do so. I replied in the affirmative. She called a number and gave them the information for ordering R8823 and informed me that the product was not available in that stores district and therefor could no tbe ordered. At that point I gave up on poor old R8823.
                                I then asked her when she would have extra batteries available for the 24V LI products. She said she had no idea. When I responded in a stunned and incredulous manner she informed me that all products in her department were controlled by a plan from some higher level and she had no input regarding products nor knowledge beyond what they send her.
                                I remember Home Depot reps breaking up sets to replace a tool that had broken. I remember Home depot reps talking about ordering in extra quantities of a product due to local conditions. I remember Home Depot reps who had used most of the types of tools in their department. I remember Home Depot reps calling a supplier and arranging special handling of a needed product. I spent a lot of money at the old home Depot.
                                I had heard that there was a new Home Depot, but didn't belive it until today.
                                Its very disapointing. I don't know if I have the time or patience to spend much money at the new Home Depot.
                                Why am I ragging on Home Depot on a Rigid forum? I had always believed Home Depot and Ridgid were partners in the tool business. Ridgid might be interested in how their products are supported in the new Home Depot. Sorry about the spelling errors. Couldn't get spell check to work.
                                people from home depot atlanta should read this..

Comment

Working...
                                X