• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The New Home Depot.....

Originally posted by sluggo85024 View Post
    Long ago in Illinois there was a HW store -- Handy Andy - it is gone

In Arizona there was a HW store called Home Base - it is gone

If Home Depot doesn't correct this problem....... It will be next and Lowes and Menards will be the new "super powers"
    I have been following this thread since it started and wanted to chime in.

On the topic of dead home improvement stores in Illinois, Home Base was here too, but my dad loved Builders Square when he built their house in the early 90's. The Builders Square stores were always swamped in the late 80's and early 90's. I never did find out why they went out of business, but their buildings stood vacant for many many years. Makes you wonder if they lost focus...

Getting to the subject and current day situations, having worked for several large companies, both public and private, and working on their respective information security teams, I was fortunate/unfortunate enough to see a lot of the dirty laundry. I've seen management actions, and the effects of those actions on employees and customers alike, and I've been able to deduce from those actions what *I* think and witnessed works well, and what doesn't. And my conclusion... a clear vision from the top conveyed well all the way down to the bottom. The people working in the aisles and at the register should have a clear understanding of what the company's goals are. And most of those goals better be to service the customer. And there HAS to be buy in from everyone in the organization.

It just amazes me that these big corporations seem to always shift focus away from the customer and to the shareholders. I would be willing to bet most of the shareholders don't frequent a Home Depot retail store, or have never stepped foot in one, so they little if nothing to do with generating profits. But you sure will hear their calls for someone's head if the dividends and profits cease to roll in.

No news to anyone on this thread, but shareholders are not the ones help making the corporations get to their gargantuan size, they are not making these corporations money, they are merely benefiting from the profits. All they need to do is sit back and enjoy their dividends, and let a good executive management team execute on their customer focused mission. I may be optomistic, or making this overly simplistic, but I truly do think it is that easy. Take care of the customer, especially your regular customers, and success will be had more often than take care of your stockholders.

That being said, and regarding Home Depot, I must say our newest Home Depot 5 mins from here is actually fantastic when it comes to customer service. A large majority of the employees are over 35 years old and know their departments fairly well. I'm merely a hobbyist, but have yet to go in and not receive tips on what tools to use to complete a project, the best way to tackle a project, etc. The assistant manager I dealt with several times went out of his way to help me acquire R932 kits, and then he also honored a sale and coupon that expired when the kits didn't arrive in time. It's the little things that add up.

But it's sad that 2 home depots can be so different. Hearing a lot of the horror stories about Home Depots lately makes me happy and sad. Happy that we aren't exposed to that (yet), but sad that I feel it's only a matter of time that we will be. I guess when there isn't a strong clear direction provided from the top.. all of the regional managers have their own goals and visions, and then their district managers have their own goals and visions, down to the store managers who would again have their own. And then you have 2 stores that can be as opposite as described.

So again, I guess what it comes down to is leadership and direction from the top. Then, how and how well that direction is conveyed to the various levels of the organization. My analogy is always this...... An engine is a beautiful thing when all the moving parts are working together towards a common goal of moving the vehicle forward - efficiently and effectively... but when just one piston is off, the fuel line cracks, or a belt decides to fray, the lack of production is noticeable and damaging, always resulting in the vehicle coming to a complete stop. If HD as a whole doesn't fix their ways, their demise is inevitible and will be placed in sluggo's list of failed home improvement companies.

Just my $0.02 - sorry for the rambling,
    -Ed

Comment

Fasteddie,

Please do not take this as a negative spin, but do make sure that you get second opinions before taking any advice (at least where there are any kind of measurable stakes in money or enjoyment) from the tipsters you have met inside HD. I say this not because I doubt their personal expertise, only because I have been told in very convincing tones information I was lucky enough to know to be wrong. Just a tip from me to you, not a condemnation of the store or it's personnel, I swear. I could have been led astray quite a few times if I was less informed than I have to be as a pro.

This forum is a great place to check on anything you may not be sure about, BTW. I have been steered in the right direction over and over.
      A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

On Builders Square....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Builders_Square
        “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” - Thomas Paine

Comment

Guess I'll add my $.02:
          I live in NC, the home state of Lowes. We have a local Lowes as does every neighboring town of any size. I have visited all within a 50 mi radius and all seem to be about the same. The nearest HD is 38 miles away. Been there twice and won't be back. Lousy service, lousy displays. We have another that is 45 miles away. Great store and where I bought my TS3650. Shop there occasionally because they carry a few items different than Lowes. Pricewise they are all within a dime or two for any given item.
          When I lived in NW FL, we at first had 5 local builder supply companies. Parts and lumber were well priced but tools were expensive. Lowes moved in and three of the locals shut down. Still bought supplies/materials at the locals (better price) but bought power tools at Lowes (better price). HD built a store across from Lowes. Last two locals folded and for a year life was good due to price competition. After a year, tho, again only a dime or two between the two stores. Here, I buy most materials from the local builders' supplies because the quality is better and the price is lower. Brand name items are still cheaper at the larger retailers.
          Back to the 3650 purchase. I thought I wanted a contractor saw, and it was between the Ridgid 2400, the Dewalt and the Bosch. Narrowed it down to Dewalt and Ridgid. When I made a last trip to check out the Ridgid, I took a lot closer look at the TS3650 and re-evaluated what I really could use best. The 3650 won hands down and I have not regretted buying it for an instant. However, had I not seen a display model to start with, I would never have even considered a Ridgid. If it had not been set up where I could look at it, and if the department person hadn't been nice enough to go find me a screwdriver so I could pull the inserts out of it and the 2400 to get a closer look at the insides, I would have come back and bought the Dewalt or a full sized Delta.
          I do not buy tools sight unseen. Most serious woodworkers I know are the same. The rule is "Caveat Emptor" buyer beware, and I can't be wary if all I see is a small picture with limited description. How many items do you think Sam's club would sell if everything was kept in a box and no display model was there to look at? If HD is no longer setting up display tools, I will buy none there. Ridgid may want to seriously consider another outlet, including making overtures to the local builder supplies and woodworking supply companies like Woodcraft or Klingspor's to carry their tools. With the quality of tools changing with the model number, I no longer buy based on a brand name. For tools I use everyday, I need to pick it up, feel the grip and balance, etc before throwing $$ down the drain for something that won't do what I need or will wear me out too much to use it.
          If Ridgid is serious about selling power woodworking tools, I suggest they may want to ensure they are displayed and marketed. If not, I am sure Delta, Grizzly, Craftsman, DeWalt, Bosch and a few others will be more than happly to fill the void.

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Our HD here in Hilo, Hawaii is pretty much in line with most of the posts about incompetent (read: useless) orange aprons. The tools on display look like they were partially and loosely assembled, with many parts installed backwards, upside-down or worse. Nothing works. Ever. The orange aprons, when you can find one, rarely have a clue about what they're selling. In all fairness, there are one or two people there occasionally who seem out of place in that they are knowledgable, courteous and competent. But that's rare enough to make the overall picture pretty bleak. I guess HD doesn't give a rip, so they must be selling enough to show a profit. They could do a lot better, though with some decent help. Most of our local contractors here have gone back to the old vendors whom they can rely on.

Regarding the contractor's department, what a joke! The one person there who was really sharp quit because it was so tough for her to get any kind of cooperation from any of the other employees. I used the contractor's department a few times and after they screwed up everything possible, never again. Besides, I can get most anything cheaper at our local lumber yards.

Aloha!

Hiloguy
            Unanswered Questions
            are far less dangerous
            than Unquestioned Answers.

Comment

Does anyone remember the totally hopeless and worthless CHANNEL stores of the mid Atlantic area? Friends and I used to have some pretty nasty names for them and their worthless staff. When they left people all over were happy to see them gone. Hechinger called themself "The World's Most Unusal Lumber Yard" and people in the know never bought their lumber unless they wanted to use it as fire starter. I'm lucky to have many choices where I can do business. Yesterday I looked over the tool department at SEARS and can see they are changing. No more serious hand held power tools and their overall stock was poor. The place was a real mess with NO ONE working in the department at all. This is bad news. My bet is that soon I'll see "Sears-Mart" on the side of the building. It will simply be another K-mart dump.

Comment

Recently in Home Depot with my journeyman cabinet maker nephew who is a very strong user of Makita and DeWalt products. He was with me to offer his input as I evaluated the Ridgid 24V LI combo set. He was in the market for a 12" miter saw and had pretty much decided to puchase the DeWalt at Lowe's which has been in this area for quite some time and has attracted a pretty strong customer base.
                Home Depot at that time had a very complete display of 12" miters including the Makita, DeWalt, and Ridgid. He pushed, pulled and fondled all three and decided he liked the features of the Ridgid. His preference of the features combined with the LSA led to the purchase of the Ridgid 12" miter saw plus table/cart. I believe the total sale was around $650 which was directly related to the products being on DISPLAY at HD. Craftsman are by their nature very hands on and need to see, hold, lift and try tools that they intend to work with. I understand that the corporate mentality of retail stores is all about productivity per square foot. I suggest that in the case of tools that concept might be short sited. There is a synergy with the purchase of tools. In the case of my nephew he had never considered purchasing Ridgid tools due to his satisfaction with DeWalt. Because HD invested in the floor space for the Ridgid miter saw there is a strong possibility he will give Ridgid a good look when considering other tools in the future. The other part of this picture is his comfort level at HD has been greatly increased through this purchase. He had been pretty much a Lowe's man when big box shopping. He has continued to give HD a look when shopping for materials and tools. It's important for HD to undrstand the big picture when deciding how to use floor space.

Comment

Guys, I don't know if any of you have paid any attention to MSN.COM recently, if not, then you missed a good article concerning HD and customer dissatisfaction. http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...gShoppers.aspx

It seems that more than 10,000 customers responded with their own horror stories such that the new CEO of Home Depot responded on March 13. Check out this article for his response to the overwhelming complaints:
                  http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com....aspx?GT1=9145

This is obviously a nationwide problem and maybe with their restructuring something will get done and soon. I too have recently become agitated with customer service and employee knowledge at HD. All of our locations in Knoxville, TN have gone to fewer cashiers and the check out lanes are more customer self service rather than an assistant. I get so tired of having to check myself out at register anymore, especially when I have several carts of lumber and the only lanes open are the self service. Not to mention, if a rebate coupon is supposed to print, it never seems to at the self service lanes. Since when did HD become a grocery store. If I wanted to work all week and then have to bag my own items as well as scan them on the weekends, I would expect to be paid for my services. I suppose working for HD is beneath this current generation of teenagers so employees are scarce. I waited 45 minutes and went through 4 different customer service employees waiting for someone to help me get down an air compressor that was stuck on the top racks in the tool world section. I finally went and got one of their rolling ladders out of another isle, and between myself and a friend we managed to get that compressor off the rack and pallet ourselves; no thanks to HD employees. What really amazed me, was that while hauling the ladder back to tool world from the lumber section, I passed three different employees and not one offered to assist me or ask what the heck I was doing. One of them even gave me the quick head nod as if to say "hey, thanks for doing my job buddy, I can go on break early now". Maybe now that a Lowes has officially opened across from every possible HD in east tennessee, these CEO's will finally wake up. I really love Ridgid products and hate to switch to anything else, but I am getting tired of spending hard earned time and putting several miles on my shoes just trying to track down an employee everytime I go to HD. Maybe you guys are on to something.

Comment

Guys, I don't know if any of you have paid any attention to MSN.COM recently, if not, then you missed a good article concerning HD and customer dissatisfaction. http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...gShoppers.aspx

It seems that more than 10,000 customers responded with their own horror stories such that the new CEO of Home Depot responded on March 13. Check out this article for his response to the overwhelming complaints:
                    http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com....aspx?GT1=9145

This is obviously a nationwide problem and maybe with their restructuring something will get done and soon. I too have recently become agitated with customer service and employee knowledge at HD. All of our locations in Knoxville, TN have gone to fewer cashiers and the check out lanes are more customer self service rather than an assistant. I get so tired of having to check myself out at register anymore, especially when I have several carts of lumber and the only lanes open are the self service. Not to mention, if a rebate coupon is supposed to print, it never seems to at the self service lanes. Since when did HD become a grocery store. If I wanted to work all week and then have to bag my own items as well as scan them on the weekends, I would expect to be paid for my services. I suppose working for HD is beneath this current generation of teenagers so employees are scarce. I waited 45 minutes and went through 4 different customer service employees waiting for someone to help me get down an air compressor that was stuck on the top racks in the tool world section. I finally went and got one of their rolling ladders out of another isle, and between myself and a friend we managed to get that compressor off the rack and pallet ourselves; no thanks to HD employees. What really amazed me, was that while hauling the ladder back to tool world from the lumber section, I passed three different employees and not one offered to assist me or ask what the heck I was doing. One of them even gave me the quick head nod as if to say "hey, thanks for doing my job buddy, I can go on break early now". Maybe now that a Lowes has officially opened across from every possible HD in east tennessee, these CEO's will finally wake up. I really love Ridgid products and hate to switch to anything else, but I am getting tired of spending hard earned time and putting several miles on my shoes just trying to track down an employee everytime I go to HD. Maybe you guys are on to something.

Comment

I like the self serve lanes at the HD here, it means I can get out of the store in a minute or two instead of waiting in a line that has someone with 100 small parts that have no bar codes and must have the clerk look each one up in some book.
                      I think a happy medium would be a 10 item or less line.
                      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
                        I like the self serve lanes at the HD here, it means I can get out of the store in a minute or two instead of waiting in a line that has someone with 100 small parts that have no bar codes and must have the clerk look each one up in some book.
                        I think a happy medium would be a 10 item or less line.
                        The self serve lanes are great, especially when I have one purchase for myself and one that I need to turn in the receipt for work. One funny thing though, I was buying paint thinner and the beeper went off to alert the attendant. It seems they check ID anytime you are buying strong solvents.

The local LOWE'S here has the same self serve set up.
                        A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I live in a small town in Oregon. Recently we got a Home Depot. Overall, it has been great. Much better customer service than Lowes (actually, customer service at Lowes is non-existent). I have been very impressed with the help I have recieved and the knowlege of the sales people.... with one exception.. I was looking for a plastic featherboard for the new TS2400LS, and both the sales people in the tool dept had no idea what a feather board was. Go figure.

Comment

Do people actually work at Home Depot, last week I purchased 18 sheets of plywood, 2 2x10x8, 8 pieced of molding and 4 pieces of MDF. I asked to have the MDF cut into the 4x4 sheets I needed. There was "NO" One available to cut, let alone help this 62 year old load the two carts, unload them in my pickup.

They did not have a problem taking my cash.

Comment

Okay, I stand corrected. For about the first 3 weeks after opening the customer service was great. Now, after having been open for awhile, things have changed. When you can find help, the person is usally very helpful. However, finding someone to help has definately been a challange. They always seem to be understaffed and never have enough cashiers.

Jeff

Comment

TOO FUNNY........... I read your first response and said that would not last long.... I was correct. lmao

Originally posted by Jeffdanz View Post
                                Okay, I stand corrected. For about the first 3 weeks after opening the customer service was great. Now, after having been open for awhile, things have changed. When you can find help, the person is usally very helpful. However, finding someone to help has definately been a challange. They always seem to be understaffed and never have enough cashiers.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X