X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The New Home Depot.....

Have had similar experiences with various stores. We have four Home Depot's in the area and two have horrible customer service, one is decent and one is just great. Thankfully the great customer service is the closest store. So there are good customer service stores you just have to find one. Unfortunately I was in one of the other Home Depot's than my regular one (due to out of stock issues) recently and had to wait about 2 hours to obtain a product that was on the overstock rack about 20 feet off the floor. Just kept being told 'just another minute'. Glad that my store usually has what I need.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
      I like the self serve lanes at the HD here, it means I can get out of the store in a minute or two instead of waiting in a line that has someone with 100 small parts that have no bar codes and must have the clerk look each one up in some book.
      I think a happy medium would be a 10 item or less line.

I am not attacking anyone here accept the establishment.

No self check out should be the normal way. Just remember you pay just as much for the item whether you are assisted with check out or do it your self. If you going to pay for the service you should be receiving it. The only time I tried to us self check out it didn't work. It claimed there was a foreign object in the package or bagging area.

The young lady that insisted I use self check out & started showing me how it was done disappeared no where to be found. I decided I could wait & go to Ace in the morning so I just left the $3 worth of hardware setting there & left. I've never used self check out again & never will, service is what I pay for in the price of the product.

Personally I think its stupid to allow them to make more money while you do their work for them after not doing their work properly all around the store & making your shopping experience miserable.

Huge Disappointment is always always always my last resort short of leaving town & going somewhere else to find what I need.

Comment

Here, Here,

VLL, I totally agree with you. It seems like everywhere we go in this country, they've tried to convince us that "self-serve" is for our convenience and satisfaction. Excuuuuse Me, IT'S NOT!

I look at it this way... every time some place tries to get you to "self-serve", that means it intends to do away with somebody's job.

It used to be I could pull into a gas station, some guy would run out, ask how much, and while the nozzle was running, he'd check my oil, wipe my windshield and even hand me a free steak knife.

In the market, they'd pack my groceries and carry them to the car.

In the drive-in, they'd step up to my window and I'd give them my order which would be delivered a few minutes later.

I'm sure anyone over the age of 60 would remember when "service" meant exactly that. Today, we seem to have forgotten in all but a few instances (like there still is one store in my area that packs my groceries and carries them to the car).

Today, prices are higher than ever and it's not just inflation either. (For some things, I look at what percentage of an hourly wage I used to spend then, vs now.)

We have a lot more population, but we have a bigger percentage doing little; and while some might argue that we have more on social services, we've also done away with an awful lot of so-called low-end service jobs.

Service doesn't just provide jobs, it also provides much better interaction with people and the social graces that comes with learning to be of service.

No thanks, I like to see somebody ring up my purchase, deliver my meal, check my oil and in the process make a friendly acquaintance. It also provide an income for somebody.

CWS

Comment

Joke:
          Remove Lawyer reference.

"Do you know what they call 600 dead CEOs on the bottom of Lake Michigan?"

"A good start."

Comment

Originally posted by VLL View Post
            I am not attacking anyone here accept the establishment.

No self check out should be the normal way. Just remember you pay just as much for the item whether you are assisted with check out or do it your self. If you going to pay for the service you should be receiving it. The only time I tried to us self check out it didn't work. It claimed there was a foreign object in the package or bagging area.

The young lady that insisted I use self check out & started showing me how it was done disappeared no where to be found. I decided I could wait & go to Ace in the morning so I just left the $3 worth of hardware setting there & left. I've never used self check out again & never will, service is what I pay for in the price of the product.

Personally I think its stupid to allow them to make more money while you do their work for them after not doing their work properly all around the store & making your shopping experience miserable.

Huge Disappointment is always always always my last resort short of leaving town & going somewhere else to find what I need.

Good Point, and not to change the topic, but I was disgusted by the ATM fee when those became popular. I understand a seperate company usually ownes and/or maintains the ATM, however, we actually have to pay a fee for self-serve banking. The bank does not have to employ a teller and saves money, yet we pay between $1 and $5(depending on if it is a tourist place) for saving the bank money. The bank should pay the charges involved in ATM transactions.
            Last edited by onlycordless; 08-27-2007, 12:19 AM.
            http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

I refuse to use the self checkout lines. To me, they are a slap in the face. "Welcome to our store. Pick up what you want, if you don't see it, don't bother asking if we have one in back because we don't know where the back is. When you are ready, just leave the money on the counter. Please don't bother us, we are on break."
              I'll wait in line for a live person. If the line is too long or the cashier is inept and taking too long, I go somewhere else.
              On a side note; ever notice that there are more people running around the store with "Vendor" written on their shirts than employees of the store?
              ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

I can sort of remember a market where if you were willing to bring your own boxes or bags and box or bag your purchases that you got 2% off. They still did all the checkout part. At Home Depot they should give customers some off for NO service. At Walmart near me they have self service checkouts but they are constantly marked "Out Of Order" which makes me laugh. It costs them good money for that joke and now they are paying for it. ***** heads

Comment

Yeah, Home Depot and Lowes usually have 4 of the self serve checkouts to save labor costs, but there are usually at least 3 employees hanging out there.
                  Meanwhile, only two of the regular checkouts are open on a Saturday morning. Big savings.
                  ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X