Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Ridgid bandsaw upgrades??opinions wanted!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid bandsaw upgrades??opinions wanted!!

What upgrades have you done to your ridgid bandsaw big or small ,and how much/little did it improve? First , this may not be an upgrade , but i switched to the highland hardware woodslicer blade, and i swear after trying every blade known ,it was like i put a new motor in the machine. Cant use anything else now.The real upgrade was going with a link belt and got rid of the standard v-belt, HUGE diffrence.NEED to go that route with all my tools now.
    Thinking abot roller guides insted of the cool blocks. What do you guys think?
    \"practice is like farting; only you can do it yourself\' and no one can do it for you\"-sawaki kodo (zen master)

Re: Ridgid bandsaw upgrades??opinions wanted!!

I have been using the olsen 3 tooth ripping blade - works great. Does anyone know if .there is a riser kit avaliable for this saw to increase the rip capacity.

Comment

Re: Ridgid bandsaw upgrades??opinions wanted!!

I added (in this order):
      Urethane tires
      Link belt
      Cool blocks (not rollers)
      and a Timberwolf 1/2" 3-TPI blade.
      All told, this came to about $60

Without doubt the link belt and the blade saw the most substantial increase in bandsaw performance. The urethane tires were a necessity as the cheapo rubber ones were coming off.

I also finely tuned the balance of the wheels and aligned the top and bottom wheels using a 48" straightedge.

The blade is now, and stays, centered. I have a Kreg bandsaw fence and now I can cut use it to make straight line cuts, with NO drift adjustment. The fence is parallel to the blade, and the cuts are straight as an arrow.

I recently added a riser block and quick-release tension arm, as well as a vibration mat and in the spring I'm going to begin resawing some logs from trees we took down. Longest one is about 4 feet... We'll see how that goes.

With all these upgrades, this added almost $300 to the cost of the bandsaw, over time... In retrospect, that makes it about a $650-700 bandsaw. But I can't find anything really comparable in that price range for a 12" resaw, top notch fence, quick-release tension, 1/2" premium blade, link-belt, stand, etc etc..

Comment

Working...
      X