Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy Zero tol insert for TS3650

Hi gang;
    As above where can I buy one of these? (For a dado stack as well)

K

Re: Where to buy Zero tol insert for TS3650

You can order them at your HD. I use this http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41080,51225
    from Lee Valley. It's expensive but I can make as many phenolic inserts as I like for almost nothing. I have a couple of different ZCTI for dados. 3/4, 1/2, 3/8" All I have to do is cut a new insert for the throat plate and snap it in.

Regards, Daryl

Comment

It's cheaper to make your own...

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
        It's cheaper to make your own...
        Yes it certainly is, but once you get over the sticker shock of the the Lee Valley throat plate. It is much easier/quicker to make rectangulat inserts than it is to make elongated ovals.

Comment

Originally posted by darylb View Post
          Yes it certainly is, but once you get over the sticker shock of the the Lee Valley throat plate. It is much easier/quicker to make rectangulat inserts than it is to make elongated ovals.

technically it's not an elongated oval but rather a rectangle with the corners rounded and it takes only minutes to make. I make one master template and then use my router and a flush trim bit to make exact copies...

Comment

Originally posted by darylb View Post
            I find most thing at Lee Valley to have the sticker shock effect
            “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” - Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by SteveA(MD) View Post
              I find most thing at Lee Valley to have the sticker shock effect
              That may be true for a lot of their stuff but the quality level of their merchandise is top shelf. I've never been disappointed with anything that I've purchased from them.
              ================================================== ====
              All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                That may be true for a lot of their stuff but the quality level of their merchandise is top shelf. I've never been disappointed with anything that I've purchased from them.

Very true Dave - same here.

I do however find that tools in the midrange (between say Harbor Freight and Lee Valley) to be just as serviceable given the relatively low amount of stress they see in my shop (or as my wife would say...when are you going to finish that project ).
                “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” - Thomas Paine

Comment

I'll have to admit that I had all 1/2" mdf ZCI's until someone on here posted ones made from laminate floor scraps. Oh, boy, do I like the laminate ZCI's. I had a bunch of cutoffs left over from doing my floors, and I cannot wait to make some new ZCI's with them, as soon as the MDF units are wore out. I am in process of making the blanks.
                  Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

Not sure if you resolved your zero tolerence insert (ZTI) for the TS3650 yet, but just in case. Both SteveA and Dave are correct. Lee Valley: I don't think anything you buy from them will be a disappointment. Gosh knows, looking through their catalog will make you feel like a kid. Walking through their showroom is even better (Otawa, CA).

For a time saver, get the Lee Valley. You will not go wrong. After your purchase, you will probably find that on some project you have 1/2" MDF that is too small for much of anything but the trash can. It will then hit you, that you can grab some double sided tape and a flush trim bit and in short order you can make a dozen ZTIs. The screw hole ba be a tad bit tricky (anyone else can help me out here). I made mine the hard way: table saw, rasp, and then sander. Now that I have a bandsaw, router table, etc. it's no problem. Oh yea, did I mention the $1k bandsaw and the $0.5k router table.

The point is, you can't go wrong. Get the Lee Valley, but when you get a chance, make your own.

Comment

Working...
                    X