Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fein Multimaster...

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
    Yes, it's pretty much like a killer vibration. It barely moves at all but just enough to do a spendid job! It's pricey but if you need one for work, it's worth the money. For the everyday hobbiest or casual builder, it would probably be overkill.
    Overkill? There's no such thing when it comes to power tools.

I just got one today and have only 10 minutes of "stick time" so far, but it has saved me a couple hours already. If it weren't a home project, it would have paid for itself already. Blades are pricey. I'd be interested in hearing how other make blades perform, and if they fit the new model Multi-Master with the star-shaped arbor.

I like the tool-less blade change feature.

Hard shell storage box could be better. The shell is decent but the interior separators are not the best. No where near as nice as Festool boxes.

Bi-Metal blade cuts through 16d nails no problem (at least when new). When time is money a $42 blade is not an issue, around the house it's a different story.

Haven't used the other accessories yet.

Too bad RIDGID didn't release one for this holiday season, I would have probably given it serious consideration.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

other companies are now coming out with them, I understand the Patent has expired on the design,

Dremel 6300 Multi-Max and Bosch has a cordless version,

the dremel will take the Fein cutters by using a section of dremel blade as a washer http://tool-rank.com/tool-blog/news/...x-20081113294/.

the battery life of the Bosch seem a little short about 8 mins by reviews,

bosh and dremel bits will not interchange, (you tube demonstration) not the best demonstration but the info on the not interchanging of the blades is there,
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgCjlhngSf0 there are a number of other videos out there as well on YouTube on the tools may be better to go to the You tube site for more videos,

and there is a company called Rockwell that is making a unit as well,
      I saw a you tube video on it as well but did not watch it,

most have some form of you tube demonstration or you can find demonstrations by companies selling them,

a basic review of the oscillating tools out there,
      http://www.toolsnob.com/archives/200...ax_oscilla.php

the Dremel tool is about $100+ the Bosch is close to $160 and the Rockwell is about $120
      Last edited by BHD; 12-13-2008, 06:05 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I am waiting for a corded Bosch version which I have no idea if they actually will make one. The Bosch can use the Fein style blades. This is not a complex tool, much simpler than a router, so I can see other making them. Very similar to the cast cutters surgeons have used for years. Fein also makes an air driven one too.

Comment

Heres a guy who makes his own blades.
          http://home.comcast.net/~dldecker/fein.html

And a source for non OEM blades.
          http://www.multiblades.com/
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

hm, this tool design reminds me of the SKLAR cast cutter/bone cutter you see in morgues and emergency rooms. OK the medical electronics career is showing, but that tool also had a fine tooth blade and vibrated.
            Thus when you had your "cast" removed it would cut the plaster and not your skin.

The tool concept is very clever. I hope the after market impersonators will be kind in their model designs. I remember the original "rotozip" tool and since it was absorbed by another
            tool company the design has changed and it has cheapened it's value. My rotozip has a removable handle and a trigger switch. The newer ones I have seen do not offer a trigger switch just the rear bump switch.

Cactus Man

Comment

its probably junk but harbor freight has one for $59.99 on sale for $39.99 might be ok with good blades but also might burn up first time you use it

Comment

I've had good luck with Harbor Freight tools. I'd never buy one to replace any of the most-used tools in the shop, but I bought a biscuit joiner and a trim router that have served me very well in the limited use they get. I also have a sliding compound miter saw that works well. The stock blades are junk but the saw has been in the shop for almost 4 years, used a couple of times a week, without a problem.

John

Comment

I had to remove a toilet today with hardened caulk around its base. Too hard for a razor knife and I'm too chicken to use a hammer and chisel.

I wonder if the fein or dremel oscillating tool would cut through this. Any thoughts from owners? I have broken tile attempting to bump the bowl loose.
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I have a Dremel on order but has not arrived yet, so I can not give any suggestions,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I just bought the Dremel from Lowe's last week. It's not as solid as the Multimaster, but it works OK if you don't push it too hard. The allen bolt that holds the blade kept coming loose while I was cutting a notch in a 2x4, so installed a lock washer and that seemed to work for the time being. It worked well for cutting out some pine baseboards.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
                        I am waiting for a corded Bosch version which I have no idea if they actually will make one. The Bosch can use the Fein style blades. This is not a complex tool, much simpler than a router, so I can see other making them. Very similar to the cast cutters surgeons have used for years. Fein also makes an air driven one too.

Me too! I am not interested in the battery one at all. It looks like they have one for the German folk but it falls in the category of homeowner instead of the professional category. Don't know if that means it is not as heavy duty or not. The battery one is in the professional area.

Here is a link. http://www.bosch-do-it.de/boptocs2-d...bject_id=14153
                        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                          I had to remove a toilet today with hardened caulk around its base. Too hard for a razor knife and I'm too chicken to use a hammer and chisel.

I wonder if the fein or dremel oscillating tool would cut through this. Any thoughts from owners? I have broken tile attempting to bump the bowl loose.
                          I think the MM would be perfect for that application. I used it to 'grind' excess material from our concrete slab when replacing carpet with plank cork flooring. No impact, just 'vibration'...should be perfect around fragile tile/china.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post

You're not too chicken, you're too smart. I recently cracked a toilet base using a hammer and my paint scraper. I picked up the Rockwell Sonicrafter. Only used it a few times so far, but it's worked really well. Never used the Fein so I can't compare.

Comment

Where are the Rockwell blades sold, [I believe they are specific to that tool only]? The green colored Bosch on the link looks like it is not as well made as the Fein [no metal front end]but the price is also a lot less. The advantage of the Bosch is it can use Dremel or Fein blades too. The rockwell toll looks OK but I do bot want a propietary blade system that no one even seems to carry and what if they go OOB as rockwell tools has done before?
                              I have the 10.8V/12V LiI Bosch driver,impact and angle driver but the MM type tool in cordless is not at all what I want.

Comment

So far as I know, the Rockwell blades can only be mail ordered from Rockwell. I just placed an order this week for some spares. I almost bought the Bosch because I have the 10.8/12 volt impactor, but I decided to go with a corded tool. I chose the Rockwell over the Dremel because the Rock was almost one amp more powerful. I don't know if this means anything as far as functionality goes, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

Comment

Working...
                                X