Fein Multimaster...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dremel Multi-Max Universal Adapterâ„¢

Dremel has apparently created what they call a Universal Adapter that will let you use any brand tool with any Dremel multi tool blade.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/Ez...pter_8128.aspx

And best of all its only $5. You can then use widely available Dremel blades in any tool.

Think about it. the tool is like an ink jet printer. once they get you to buy their printer for cheap you are locked in to using their ink jet cartridges, or so they would like you to think. they threaten voided warranties if you use third party cartridges or refill existing ones.

well the multi tool biz is similar since they all use a proprietary attachment system, so you have to go back to their well to drink (buy more blades). In the case of Fein that is expensive, with many of their blades running roughly $15 each even when bought in quantity.

The Dremel universal adapter may be the answer, time will tell. I will look for one the next time I am in Lowes or HD and let you know what I think. For $5 I will most likely pick one and give it a spin.

11/27/10 update: I was in both HD and Lowes today and couldn't find the Dremel adapter at either store. I saw the tool and the blades, but no adapter.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 11-27-2010, 07:28 PM. Reason: added update on 11/27/10
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Another multi-tool adapter surfaces

Apparently Bosch has an adapter out now too.

AND...you can get it for FREE, yes FREE. along with one of their blades

go here: www.boschjoethepro.com

enter promotional code: OISPW10

Offer ends 12/31/10

This offer appears in the current issue of Popular Woodworking (issue #187) on pages 4 and 5.

Comment

Re: Fein Multimaster...

Hey Bob,

Have you looked at the Ridgid JobMax cordless (12V Li-Ion)? I've had mine for a several weeks now, works great, cost less than the Fein, Bosch, or Dremel, and other "heads" are available for it.... and it comes with an adapter that will allows it to take both Dremel and Bosch accessories. All for $99.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
          Hey Bob,

Have you looked at the Ridgid JobMax cordless (12V Li-Ion)? I've had mine for a several weeks now, works great, cost less than the Fein, Bosch, or Dremel, and other "heads" are available for it.... and it comes with an adapter that will allows it to take both Dremel and Bosch accessories. All for $99.

CWS
          I have the Fein Multi-Master which I bought(see my earlier post) for big bux before all the copycat tools hit the street or were even rumored to be coming.

So unless I could unload the MM buying the JobMax (which I like and think is the best of the johnny come latelys) I would just be adding insult to injury to buy the JobMax now I think. But the adapter that will let me use Bosch blades on my MM will save me some money as Fein blades are expensive..a pack of 8 blades would cost as much as the RIDGID JobMax tool.

If anyone is looking for the FMM 250Q in excellent condition let me know, I would sell it as I don't see me using it much in the future. I needed it for that one job and it has basically been sitting in its storage box since.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 11-28-2010, 06:21 AM. Reason: Added link

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            I have the Fein Multi-Master which I bought(see my earlier post) for big bux before all the copycat tools hit the street or were even rumored to be coming.

So unless I could unload the MM buying the JobMax (which I like and think is the best of the johnny come latelys) I would just be adding insult to injury to buy the JobMax now I think. But the adapter that will let me use Bosch blades on my MM will save me some money as Fein blades are expensive..a pack of 8 blades would cost as much as the RIDGID JobMax tool.

If anyone is looking for the FMM 250Q in excellent condition let me know, I would sell it as I don't see me using it much in the future. I needed it for that one job and it has basically been sitting in its storage box since.
            PM me Bob with what you want for it...I already have the dremel version of it but I do fine woodworking professionally and I'm addicted to top of the line tools.

Comment

Well the free adapter from Bosch finally showed up today, along with a blade. I'll have to give it a try and see how it fits on my Multi-Master this weekend.

I don't remember seeing any Bosch blades for sale in HD or Lowes as yet last time I was in there which was about 2 weeks ago.

Comment

I bought the Genesis model from Amazon for $34, delivered. I love it. The biggest complaint (as with most models) is the blades. I ended up buying some off of Ebay. They work much better than any store bought blade. Here's a link http://cgi.ebay.com/12pcs-E-Cut-Blad...item43a47356ec . I used one to do some bathroom remodeling, including metal, and they performed very well.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                  Hey Bob,

CWS
                  Like my PS50 Bosch, waiting to buy the Bosch corded model coming out now. Larger motor than the Fein and about $150.
                  The Ridgid has no lock on switch just a trigger. What were they thinking. Why not include a lock on button? Who wants that on a sander, or scraper? Also no more Ridgid LiI battery tools for me , they are the worst performing of the 5 brands I have. All dead again in 1 month in non use, no other brands I have do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
                    Like my PS50 Bosch, waiting to buy the Bosch corded model coming out now. Larger motor than the Fein and about $150.
                    The Ridgid has no lock on switch just a trigger. What were they thinking. Why not include a lock on button? Who wants that on a sander, or scraper? Also no more Ridgid LiI battery tools for me , they are the worst performing of the 5 brands I have. All dead again in 1 month in non use, no other brands I have do that.
                    milwaukee is same battery inards i thought? Is one of your 5 brands milwaukee? Wonder if the new red lithium, and hyper lithium are better. I have 15 lithium from ridgid 2 went bad, got replaced in a day. Dont use mine every day either.

Comment

I only have the two Li-Ion tools, the compact drill-driver (first model introduced, w/o the 2-speed clutch) and the Job Max. The former came with two compact batteries and the latter with just one.

The original two batteries have held up fine, with the only exception being that I thought I blew one of them when I put the driver under a lot of load and the battery stopped and didn't appear to want to take a charge for awhile.

However, since that incident it appears to be working fine and I've had no further problems with either battery. They are at least three or so year old by now. I can literally go a two or three months without using the driver and the batteries still will drive the tool. I find myself switching batteries for no other reason than to keep them both in use. I have the one battery, that gave me a problem, marked with blue tape just so that I can note if further problems exist.... none to date and it's been over a year.

The Job Max is still too new to be of any concern I think. It's a tool that is handy when needed, but certainly not something that I need too often. Subsequently it sits idle for a few weeks at a time and the battery only been charge once since I purchased it last year, IIRC.

With regard to the "trigger" on the Job Max, the lack of a "lock" doesn't bother me. While I agree that it might be a nice addition, I don't see that I would use the tool for anything longer than a minute or two at a time for specific tasks. For my use, it acts as a short-term trim tool, just cutting through molding or base, as needed and scraping away a hardened area that another tool might be more appropriate or efficient at. Everyone has their own work practice of course and certainly I could probably learn a thing or two about mine.

(I see the demo where someone uses a tool like the Dremel or Job Max to cut through a "2 x 4" and that's okay of a "demo"... but why would one use this kind of tool for "that", when almost any other kind of saw would be more appropriate. The problem with such a "demo" in my mind is some people will think that is what the tool is for.)

In any case, I read so many complaints and concerns over the Li-Ion batteries that I'm even a bit wary of mine, though they seem to be okay as long as I don't push them too hard. I still think Ni-Cads handle load better, even though they don't have the storage capacity or long-term shelf life of Li-Ion batteries.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                      X