X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fein Multimaster...

Any of you guys and gals use one of these?
    I see it's quite pricey, as are the accessories.
    Is it worth the investment???
    I would like to hear some comments from Multimaster owners...

TIA

Re: Fein Multimaster...

I want one. I know several people who have them and love them. If you go to tools-plus.com they have the $280 kit for $230. But they are out of stock right now. I am in tile and they are very useful. The biggest thing is that it produces little dust.

Comment

I have one and use it for 2 things. When I'm installing my cabinets or entertainment centers, I always have to cut the base board. On tile houses, the base is down behind the tile. I got real tired of "trying" to do a nice job of my vertical cuts with a utility knife and chisel. The MM does a supurb job of making the vertical cut in seconds!
      I also have to cut in all the outlets in my cabinets too. The MM is super quick and makes short work of outlet holes. For me, it's a must have for my line of work.
      The saw blades are pricey but unless you hit a nail, they last a long time. I did hit a nail not long ago and just clamped the blade in a vise and used the edge of a file and made new teeth. It worked as good as the day it was new! I did buy some aftermarket blades off eBay that are awesome and about half price. Just be careful on the blades, the NEW Fein MM has a "star" shaped hole and the older models have a plain round hole. The star blades will fit both old and new models, but the older round hole blades will NOT fit the newer star tool.

I have not tried it as a scraper or sander yet, just haven't had the need.

Mark
      Last edited by The Wood Meister; 03-11-2007, 06:46 PM.
      Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Wow checked it out at Amazon, great tool, very good reviews at Epinions.com, but holy mackeral, $339.00 for what looks like a Dremel tool, I'll look for it at a garage sale, somebody's wife won't know what the value is and sell if off for $20.00 and hopefully I'll be there and get it...Lol... Probably won't happen, oh well wishful thinking...
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

How's the thing work? The cutter must vibrate instead of spin or oscillate...?

- djb
          sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
            I have one and use it for 2 things. When I'm installing my cabinets or entertainment centers, I always have to cut the base board...

Mark
            Yeah that's the main application I was thinking of using it for. I install lots of doors/casings, and nine time out of ten I have to cut the baseboard by scoring it with a utility knife and finishing it off with a chisel. This takes longer than installing the actual trim!

Well I found a local hardware store that carries the M.M. and I got to touch one in person. WOW, it's a quality tool - solid and made in Germany. I think I will buy it and see how it does...

It's expensive, but I don't mind paying more to get German or US made tools...

Comment

Originally posted by djb View Post
              How's the thing work? The cutter must vibrate instead of spin or oscillate...?

- djb

according to their site ...

"The Secret is the Oscillation
              The MultiMaster doesn't rotate or orbit like other power tools. It oscillates. The head of the Multimaster oscillates at an angle of only 3.2° at up to 21,000 OPM. The Fein Multimaster is a variable speed fein oscillating tool that tackles countless tasks with an assortment of accessories

The Fein Multimaster does all of the jobs that all other tools can not achieve sands, saws, putty knives and scores of other fein tools."

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                according to their site ... "The head of the Multimaster oscillates at an angle of only 3.2° at up to 21,000 OPM..."
                21,000 3.2º oscillations per minute...that's pretty much a vibration, ain't it...?

- djb
                sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

have you seen the supercut? I wonder how much better it is.

I love this forum but it sure keeps my appetite for new tools whetted.

http://www.idealtools.com.au/category3866_1.htm
                  A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

That is one bad *** tool.had to repair one,and it is built very well.I had a hardwood floor put in my kitchenand both of the carpenters had there own.they said they love it.I'm no carpenter but if i was that would be in my box.and for all the different applications it can do it seems to be worth it.
                    A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Originally posted by djb View Post
                      21,000 3.2º oscillations per minute...that's pretty much a vibration, ain't it...?

- djb
                      Yes, it's pretty much like a killer vibration. It barely moves at all but just enough to do a spendid job! It's pricey but if you need one for work, it's worth the money. For the everyday hobbiest or casual builder, it would probably be overkill.
                      Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

here is there "home page" http://www.feinus.com/ they sell more then just the multi master.
                        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Well I got the basic version of this tool from Amazon about two weeks ago, $189 delivered. I was considering the bigger, newer more complete kit for around $400 but after some good advice from the Wmeister (thanks!) I went for the less expensive single speed. Seriously the best tool purchase I have made in a long time. This tool has paid for itself already.

I've cut openings for boxes in cabs and baseboard in place etc, but the reach and usefulness in place of a chisel is where it saves me the most. I have sliced thin, straight 3/16" pieces off of the top of a drawer opening to make clearance for the new drawer box (measured tight by my favorite measure tech) in about two minutes, cut paper thin clearance for formica to slip behind existing funky ceiling trim, notched out 2x4 in the back of tiny drawer openings for new drawer runners with incredible ease and more. Hours of work saved, literally. And the sander is getting a lot of use too, something I didn't even buy it for.

Get it. I have no regrets or guilt about this one at all.
                          A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I just ordered mine and should get it Monday. I am a tile guy and the things this tool will do no other tool can. It makes tile repairs a cinch. I will cut door jams with no dust (which is great for remodels). I talked to another tile guy who had one. Also the tool won't cut you!! Because the motion is similar to the tool they use to cut cast off with, your skin will move the small amount the blade is moving. I have also heard they are well built. Tool-plus.com has them in stock and again. I got the $280 kit for $240 shipped.

Comment

Love mine. I hemmed and hawed between budget and "desire" and wound up getting the XL kit for $305.

I specifically was buying it for profile sanding (we have a lot of curved and ogee molding to restore that has paint on it) and for making precision cuts. I won't rehash the specs and performance mentioned up above, but rest assured it rocks and is much more useful than it appears.

I used this most recently to cut in an outlet box in a peninsula cabinet. The electricians were about to start and I told them to stop, and that I would do it and have it ready for them the next morning. It's my house, we put in cherry cabinets, and I've seen the cutting work those clowns do! I put some masking tape in place so I could see pencil lines and used the MM to cut a precisely sized rectangle for the outlet boxes.. through the false door front and then through the 3/4" cabinet wall. No splintering, straight sides, and no extra material lost. It wasn't a big deal I suppose since it's covered by an outlet cover. But it's a testament to what a quality job the MM can do.

Comment

Working...
                              X