Can't loosen the blade on 12" compound miter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't loosen the blade on 12" compound miter

Rookie move I guess. Any tips or trick on removing a blade from a ridgid 12" compound miter? I can't get the thing to budge... And any thoughts on how to prevent this in the future.

Re: Can't loosen the blade on 12" compound miter

I couldn't remember so I went out and checked mine. It is a left hand thread. Righty loosey, lefty tighty.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Are you turning the bolt in the correct direction? On my CMS its righty to loosen and lefty to tighten.
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

buy your self a ridgid impact driver ...................................... lol no sometimes they use a thread locker on the threads so i would say get a real ratchet and socket and apply a nice even pressure till it comes free and if it seems like you are aplying waaaaaaay to much then i would say either retrun it or a repair shop
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Most common mistake of someone newly acquianted (or even us old-timers who forget what we're doing) with this, is that they either don't know that the blade screw or nut is a left-hand thread.

So instead of "Lefty Loosey; Righty Tighty"; it's opposite! Left Tightens and Right loosens. (Clockwise to loosen, Counter-Clockwise to tighten).

You don't want to put too much torque on it if you don't know which way it loosens.... That screw isn't all that big, and I can't imagine how you'll feel if you sheer off the head!

CWS

Comment

When you tighten down the screw after changing the blade or whatever, don't crank down the screw. I just give it one little ump, after you finger tightened the screw. The blade spinning tightens it from that point on.
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

If you want to play it safe you could take it to a service center,
              It’s gonna cost money, but they more than likely have removed a blade
              this tight before and if they snap the bolt they will fix it.

If this would happen on my saw and I was unable to get the bolt loose
              by hand , I would use my Makita ¼” impact driver and lightly blap the bolt
              several times making 100% sure the impact driver was turning in the correct rotation
              for loosening the bolt. I would not use the built in blade lock device because with any kind
              of real torque it will break or bend, which will only compound the problem.

If an Impact driver was not available, I would use a light ball peen hammer and sharply, moderately
              tap on the on the hex wrench several times to try and loosen the bolt and as a last resort
              sometimes when a bolt get that tight a little heat will help.

But, that's me and that would be on my saw. I ain’t no power tool expert but
              I have loosened alot of tight bolts
              over my lifetime. If you don't feel comfortable
              doing it ...take it to a service center.
              Last edited by Davet; 03-11-2007, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X