Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help: Using a stacked dado on the TS2400ls

Hello,

I just purchased a Rigid TS2400LS. I also bought an 8" stacked dado set. The instructions on the dado set say that portable saws dont have a long enough arbor or enough power to use the set. What I notice on the arbor is that if I take off the nut holding on the regular 10" blade, there is a large "washer" (don't know the technical name) that is between the nut and the blade. I take off the washer, remove the blade, and there is another "washer" that can be removed. If I put the dado set on the arbor without the "washers", and just use the nut, there seems to be enough room. I made some test cuts in plywood using a dado width of 3/4 and the saw seems to have plenty of power.

Am I doing somthing dangerous by using this set? and by not using the "washers" on either side of the blade? or is the arbor just too short for a stacked set (max 13/16 width) and so what i am doing is not safe. (I made my own throat plate insert that leaves zero clearance around the dado blade when in use). Thanks for the help.

If this is not a safe operation, then how can you use a stacke dado set on the TS2400ls?

Jeff

Re: help: Using a stacked dado on the TS2400ls

Hi Jeffdanz, congratulations on the TS2400LS purchase

You can download the guide for your saw here

If you look on page 51 it states ->

The dado head is assembled to the saw
    arbor in the same manner as the saw
    blade. The arbor on the saw, is long
    enough so that the widest cut that can be
    made is 13/16" wide. It is not necessary to
    install the outside loose collar before
    screwing on the arbor nut. Make sure the
    arbor nut is tight.
    When cutting a “deep” dado or a wide
    groove it is necessary to remove only a
    small amount of material (1/8"-1/4") at a
    time. Continue to increase dado elevation
    until the desired depth is reached.

The answer is that you need the inner washer but not the outer one.

I've never tried my stacked dado without the inner washer because I never thought it would provide enough clearance without it

Obviously you have and it does but I would rather be safe then sorry and you should probably follow the instructions and use it. You may have to make another zero clearance insert but that's no big deal right?

Good Luck
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

13/16" is wider than 3/4" ...Aint?
      Looks to me the The instructions on the dado set saying that "portable saws dont have a long enough arbor or enough power to use the set" where generalizing.
      Last edited by Davet; 03-15-2007, 03:45 AM.

Comment

After looking at my saw again, I realized that I made a mistake in my original post... I did leave the inside washer on, didn't use the outside one. Guess that is okay according to the instructions. Thanks for the feedback. Looks like it will work.

Comment

Working...
        X