Squeak/Whine from MS1290LZ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeak/Whine from MS1290LZ

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster in need of some help with a MS 1290LZ SCMS.

When the trigger is activated, there is a high pitched whine or squeak that seems to come from the belt drive pinion or motor pulley (hard to nail down exactly). As the motor approaches full speed, the noise stops. Also, after an extended period of cutting, the noise did not last as long when the saw was started up.

I've made sure there isn't any sawdust or other stuff around the pulleys and elsewhere.

The saw is relatively new (2 months or so) but the noise just started yesterday. As far as I know, the tool hasn't been moved, bumped, or otherwise messed with, but it definitely went for about a two week period without use.

Does this seem like a belt tension issue or something else?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

EK
    Last edited by bu_theatre_td; 03-17-2007, 02:36 PM.

Re: Squeak/Whine from MS1290LZ

Can't help you here yet, haven't had a chance to check mine out. My saw started to do the same thing last Friday, was going to check out what the heck is going on tomorrow, unless someone here has had this problem and can save me the time. I was deffinetly thinking belt, thats where I was going to start anyhow, and hopefully thats all it is. Some of these tools all you do is spray some JB 80 or WD 40 on the belt and the noise will go away for awhile. I know I'll get chewed out from the guys for that statement.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Mine started making that same noise a few weeks ago just at
      the start of a cold spell. The sound is not real loud, but just loud enough
      to be annoying. I thought maybe the blade was slipping … but the blade was
      tight. belt tension was going be my next check also.
      Mine only makes the strange little noise after I first start the saw and won't make
      the noise again until after it set for a couple of minutes.
      Last edited by Davet; 03-17-2007, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I would need to hear it for myself, but it seems like it may be the belt slipping. Clean everything well and check the condition and tension of the belt. Are the pulley grooves nice and clean? If not they need to be clean. Remove belt and normally some fine grit sand paper will clean up the grooves. You can also try a degumming cleaner, a small Scotchbrite pad and then rinse with water (using a clean rag) and blow dry with a hair dryer or the exhaust from a vacuum cleaner.

Comment

Well Wouskko you hit it on the nose, the first thing I did this morning was tackled this problem. It did appear's to be the belt, took it off, checked it, looks good. So then I cleaned it all up, really good w/ degummer, groves were full of packed saw dust, well the whole saw was to that matter. Works great now, no odd noises now, I hope its goes another one or two years without squealing like a pig. Usually this kind of noise its the belt or bearings, this time it was the belt, thank god.
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I'm glad it helped. Be sure to take it apart and keep it nice and clean. A little TLC can go a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
              Can't help you here yet, haven't had a chance to check mine out. My saw started to do the same thing last Friday, was going to check out what the heck is going on tomorrow, unless someone here has had this problem and can save me the time. I was deffinetly thinking belt, thats where I was going to start anyhow, and hopefully thats all it is. Some of these tools all you do is spray some JB 80 or WD 40 on the belt and the noise will go away for awhile. I know I'll get chewed out from the guys for that statement.
              No chewing out, but for a slipping belt, belt dressing, bar soap or block paraffin is better than a lubricant. The oils just increase the slipping but mask the noise, and also the petroleum lubricant will break down the belt and cause it to dry out, increasing the wear. You want to increase the friction, not reduce it. For a squealing fan belt or alternator belt in an automobile, WD-40 is better than nothing for a short term emergency fix, because the vibration from the squeal will lead to the bearings going out in the alternator, water pump, or idler pulley (serpentine belt), which are much more expensive to fix. Probably the same would happen in the tools, so IMHO doing something is better than letting it squeal. However, the squeal says something is wrong and needs adjusting or replacing.
              (now they'll jump on me instead of you )
              With the grooved belts, tho, this thread indicates the best first step is cleaning the grooves.

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Most people are not aware that there is a way to tension the belt on those saws. That is what makes the squealing noise. Loosen all the bolts around the pulley and there is a jacking bolt to tighten the belt.
                CoMax Tools
                Authorized Ridgid Service Center

Comment

The weather finally broke and I got up to my shop yesterday.

The light start up squeal on my 2400 was also a loose belt.
                  Thank goodness that’s all it was!

As suggested previously it was an easy fix.
                  Thanks to all for the input on this subject!

Comment

Working...
                  X