Roofing Nailer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roofing Nailer

I was wanting to know if anyone had an opinion on roofing nailers? I may be in the market for one soon. I have a couple of friends who want their roofs replaced and I just can't see why I shouldn't get a nailer out of the deal. I am real impressed with the Ridgid nailers and wondering if any of you guys have tried out the coiled roofing nailer. I know that we have discussed at length the framing nailers and the trim combo kits but it seems that we may have skipped this one. Any help is appreciated.

Kevin

Re: Roofing Nailer

I've never tried out the Rigid roofer, I'm sure its good. What I own is 4 Hitachi ultra lights, easier on the arm, any thing light will help you. I have used Bostitch in the past and they were heavy, hard impact, and litterly wore out my arms and killed my elbows. My guys are being teased from others about this ultra light but they don't care, their getting the jobs done and their arms don't hurt at the end of the day. I've heard the comments that Bostitch will out last 10 time longer, well good for them because none of my guns have been to the repair shop, and I've had them for a long time. To tell you the truth I didn't realize Ridgid had a roofing gun, so I'll check it out when I'm in Home Depot, wasn't in the market to look for a new gun.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

The new Bostitch RN46 has a magnesium body and weighs 4.9 lbs. empty. It also comes with a 7 year warranty ( 1 year for pro contractor in pruduction environment). The original Bostitch RN45B weighs in at 6 lbs. empty. I own a Bostitch N89C magnesium coil framing nailer (8 lbs.) and couldn't be happier. One point to note is that Bostitch invented the "coil magazine".

The Ridgid R175RND also has a magnesium housing and weighs 5 lbs. empty. It's got a 3 year warranty and the LLSA.
      I've never used a Ridgid coil gun but they seem well built. One nice thing about the Ridgids is the swiveling air nipple...
      Last edited by jbergstrom; 03-17-2007, 08:12 PM.
      Cheers! - Jim
      -------------
      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Me thinks the Bostitch is the tried and true.
        I'm mostly sold on Porter-Cable nailers - I've got almost every one they make. They are solid and reliable.

One nice thing about the Ridgids is the swiveling air nipple...
        BFD - I've bought some for most of my nailers @ $1.99 a piece...

Comment

for Jbergstrom...that swivel coupler can be purchased at home depot for about two dollars [American] either mail or female thread.

I do not have a roofing nailer nor I hope I never need one, ha ha, I have a metal shingle roof.

But...when buying any nailer a few things you need to consider:

1. weight, not just empty but loaded and with a 3/8 hose attached to see if your able to handle it for long periods.
          2. ergonomics, how easy is it to load nails..up on a high pitch roof you really don't need to be fumbling around trying to load the thing. In the same way does the nailer allow you to visually determine how many nails are still in the gun?
          3. Ease of use..from allowing you bounce fire to clearing that unwanted jam.
          4. price and color is moot if you find the gun that fits and meets your needs.

Play safe!

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
            BFD - I've bought some for most of my nailers @ $1.99 a piece...
            Originally posted by cactusman View Post
            for Jbergstrom...that swivel coupler can be purchased at home depot for about two dollars [American] either mail or female thread.
            Well blow me down

I've never seem 'em before

I'll have to go have a look see

Cheers!
            Cheers! - Jim
            -------------
            All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Actually Lowe's and HD both sell those couplers...

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                Actually Lowe's and HD both sell those couplers...
                We don't have a Lowe's on Vancouver Island but I'll have to check HD and a few of my other favorite tool stores. I was just pointing out the differences between those guns, but the swivel would come in handy

A 50' or 100' line can become twisted fairly quickly.

I have heard of Lowe's and I've seen the Lowe's web site, lot's of interesting howto videos etc.

Cheers!
                Cheers! - Jim
                -------------

Comment

We don't have a Lowe's on Vancouver Island
                  that's a shame

I actually do a lot of small jobs and use my cordless nailers more than my pneumatics lately...

Although I did get a couple of 50' polyurethane hoses with the twisty-thingamajigies on both ends

Comment

I have a Bostitch RN45B, and it is a good machine. easy to clear,
                    never needed any repairs but our local lumber yard carries general repairs.
                    and a number of dealers in the next town over(40) miles,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

What kind of warranties to the Bostitch, Hitachi and the Porter Cable come with. While I don't expect to be using this thing much, I do want to know that if it breaks that I can get it fixed. This is one of the reasons that I have steered towards Ridgid lately because of the LLSA. With that said, I really do like their nailers. I had only used cheaper ones in the past so I might not know the difference but I have shot about 10,000 nails through them and I haven't had a jam yet. My others would be less than 100 it seemed.

I am not sure if the roofing nailer has the bounce nail function but I know the framing nailer does. I can't imagine why that one would have it and the roofer wouldn't. I agree about the swivel nipple attachment. It really does help. What about the nailer itself sliding on the roof? Is there any kind of preventive measure taken into account for that? Or do I have to hang it on my hip? I don't think that I would want to be tethered to a nailer while I am walking around on some steep inclines.

Comment

Hey guys, let me clear something up, I did not mean for me to sound like I was bashing Bostitch, not at all. I was looking for nail guns that had to have less weight, and at that time I ran into the Hitachi ultra light guns. They worked out great for me, never broke down so I did not need to look for anything else. Since then all brands of roofing and framing has gone to less weight. Bostitch is a very good brand, and mine are still shooting. So untill I need a new gun then I'll take a look at Bostitch again, same with Ridgid. Thanks for letting me clear that up...
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

get the bostitch rn46 nothing beats it

Comment

Working...
                          X