X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2720 Belt Sander

Does anyone out there have this sander? If so, what do you think about it? I did a Search and found very little information available on this unit, only 3 threads came up.

I've got a piece of junk Skil belt sander and even though it sees very little use I'm considering upgrading to a better sander. I thought about getting the Ridgid but I'm a little concerned about the apparent lack of popularity of this sander.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: R2720 Belt Sander

Dave, I really can't say about the R2720, but I have owned a Porter-Cable 360 3" x 24" belt sander for a long time and really like it. If you can find a good deal on one, I think you'll do well. That would apply to any of the 360 series. Do be sure it's a few years old so it's a true Porter-Cable made here and not a half bred DeWalt.

I too would love to read posts from people that actually own the Ridgid R2720.

Comment

i got a great deal the 2720 - i got it for 99 bucks cdn with a free finish sander.

I have used it for various projects (flattening table tops, rounding corners, stock removal, etc) and i think its an awesome sander. The variable speed is especially helpful when working with different materials.

Comment

Can someone comment on the reasoning for the smaller front roller on these belt sanders? The 2720 has a smaller roller, but check out this Black & Decker: Click Me. They even call it the Dragster! Am I supposed to want it because it looks cool?

If a smaller roller is supposed to offer more clearance to reach into a 90° corner, I'd say the added stress on the belt from running around a smaller roller would outweigh the slight distance closer to a corner it can get.

- djb
        sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

I had more or less the same dilema when I bought my belt sander. Had the Ridgid staring me right in the face but couldn't find any significant reviews or information on it so I played it safe and bought a PC 352 which was also a little cheaper. I liked the top handle configuration more anyway.

Comment

The smaller front roller gives the belt more contact with your work because it draws out the length of the belt as well as the proximity to corners you mentioned. I saw that "dragster" and it looked pretty cool for the fact that you can fold back the guard and use the top of the belt in small spaces.
            A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I recently got the reconditioned belt/finish set from cummins tools. So far it has done both sides of a door with excellent results and the operation of it is good. Like the soft start feature, it fakes you out then gets going.
              Belt change is easy. DaveVB
              God Bless You Super Good!!!

Comment

BadgerDave,
                I've had this sander for a couple of years now and while I don't use it often it has done well. Once you adjust the belt tracking it stays lined up. The soft start and variable speed work well. Dust collection is OK, but with a shopvac it is almost dustless. It has not overheated under heavy/prolonged use. The 12' cord is my favorite feature with all of my Ridgid tools. It' allows me to forego extra cord usually. It is easy to control with the in-line handles. You can still find them with the free 1/4 sheet sander for 179, or 159 without. They never seem to go on sale. I chose the Ridgid for the 10amp motor and the 1500sfmp top speed. The thing weighs a ton and all you have to do is control the tool without applying any extra pressure for fast material removal. HTH
                Ern

Comment

Interesting you posed this question BD.

I've just gotten through putting the Ridgid Belt Sander through its paces. We've got a beautiful (well...at least now it's beautiful) 1950's pine tongue & groove 10' x 12' porch ceiling, that had been covered with about 7 layers of paint, with the last two layers being lead paint.

After having stripped the paint back to raw wood on our window frames last summer, I was really dreading doing the porch ceiling. Didn't really want to eat lead paint chips through sanding & after having used the chemical strippers on the window frames, I knew I'd be getting lots of little chemical burns from splatter while working over my head.

We also have some iron railings around this porch, which had definitely seen better days (this had been a rental property for years before we bought it).

I finally settled on sandblasting the iron railings clean & the guy I hired to do the work also said he could sandblast the porch ceiling. So I killed two birds with one sandblasting.

Of course, even though this 1950's pine is much harder than what we can buy today, it still pitted pretty badly from the sandblasting.

The solution was the Ridgid 2720 variable speed Belt Sander. Now as erngum said, this sucker has some weight to it (tad over 10 lbs). Good thing when letting gravity help it do the work, bad thing when fighting gravity & using it above your head. My solution was to rent some scaffolding & jack it up to where I could lay on it and do a Michael Angelo.

Putting on some seriously aggressive belt paper (24 grit) I began hogging out the pitted surface. {Quick work tip - to stop full face safety goggles from fogging up, apply thin layer of dish washing soap}. The soft start & variable speed were a dream to work with & doing a 10' x 12' area, I really ran this sucker hard. It did get pretty hot under extended use, but not one hiccup.

Now even though I hooked a shop vac to the 2720's dust port, I found it only captured about 50% of the materials I was hogging out. Of course I was using it upside down & with an extremely aggressive belt on, so those two factors need to be taken into consideration.

I've used the 2720 for many other less intense applications before & had always been pleased with it's performance, but after basically abusing it for an extended period of time, I can say without a moments hesitation, that I'm thoroughly impressed with this tool & would highly recommend it.

Comment

Working...
                  X