Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another problem with my Ridgid Vac.

Just an update here.

I brought the power head to the repair center and they wouldn't take it. They said things had changed and, while they may ultimately end up doing the repair, I had to take it to Home Depot to get the process rolling.

Seems sort of pointless to me to list repair shops on the Ridgid site when you can't actually go to them for repairs, eh?

So I brought it to Home Depot and got ignored by some woman behind the counter who was more interested in going on break than on helping me out.

It was amusing even. Halfway through my explanation of what was wrong with it, she just turned around and started talking to someone about something completely unrelated.

I just stopped talking. I ended up just filling out the paper myself. This was all on the 28th. I'm curious as to how long it will take me to hear back about it since really, I can't imagine them doing anything other than just giving me a new one.

Comment

This is unbelievable.

It's been over a month now and I just talked to the HD people. Apparently nobody has even looked at it yet. The person I talked to didn't seem to care that it's been over a month and said a Ridgid rep is there today and she'd have them look at it.

WTF?? Is this acceptable to them?

Comment

I just heard back. They said if I bring the rest of the pieces back, they'll give me a refund or a new one.

I'm going to take the refund and go buy a Craftsman.

Comment

Actually... if there's somewhere other than HD that I can deal with to buy one... I sure would like another. It worked great while it worked. I just can't stand how I was just hung out to dry by HD when I needed it fixed!

Comment

My saying with Home Depot is "You can F@#$ it up!!!!!We can help!!!!" LOL
            You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

By the way, I have the WD 1660 w/ the detachable head. It's been used hard w/ no problems but a new switch was replaced by me(Ridgid sent it to me free).
              You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Akita View Post
                By the way, I have the WD 1660 w/ the detachable head. It's been used hard w/ no problems but a new switch was replaced by me(Ridgid sent it to me free).
                Someone else here said they've replaced the switch a number of times now and believe me, I wish I'd just done that in the first place rather than going through all this fiasco!

While it worked, I loved it! The replacement though had a bad motor and that's when I dropped it off. I wish I'd kept the one with the bad switch and just fixed it myself.

They said to bring all the rest of it back and then they'd either replace it or refund my money. Even if I decide to get another one the same though, I'm taking the refund and I'll buy it from another store.

That way there's no history of this fiasco and I'll get another solid 90 days of replacement time in case the new one has issues. Without that, I could go through this whole thing again if I get another defective one.

Have to remember to swap the filters and put the original one back on. Don't want to give them my expensive fine dust one.

Comment

I was at HD a while back renting one of their vans. I couldn't help but notice the person behind me. He had a big Ridgid box. It turned out to be a shop vac (but I didn't know which one it was).

Some guy came out from behind the counter and look at it. Then he asked what was wrong with it and the customer (who looked like a contractor) said it stopped working and that the motor was bad. Then the HD employee told another guy to go and get the gentleman a new one. He cut the power cord with a knife and asked if the customer wanted any spare parts from this unit, like the hoses and attachments. He declined and said he only used it to suck up water and debris in the water (or something to that effect, which made it sound like he worked with swimming pools). Then the HD guy bagged the hoses and said he'd take it himself because he owned one, too. He gave him the drainage spout and told him that this part was useful to have on hand. The other guy brought a new one and gave it to the customer and threw out the old one (which still looked pretty new to me).

Needless to say, I was pretty impressed with the service that day. The HD is located at Warden & Ellesmere in Scarborough, in case you want to check them out. Good luck.
                  Last edited by Ridgider; 05-01-2007, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Wow! That sounds a hell of a lot better than the service I got! I used to live right near that one, and was always happy with it. Maybe now I'll start driving over to go back. The one that's been a pain in the *** to deal with is at Morningside and Sheppard.

So now it's gone. I brought it in and because it's been more than 90 days, I had to take a store credit.

Then the girl at the counter said they wouldn't take back the filter I bought because it was used. Well duh. Of course it's used, but I hardly need it anymore if I'm returning the garbage vacuum!!

I asked to talk to a manager and he took back the filter.

Interestingly, my wife paid $179 for the vacuum but right now they're only $129, which is exactly the same price as the 14 gallon one. Weird. I wonder if they're trying to get rid of them?

Now I have to decide what to replace it with. I might just get another one the same and hope for the best. It really worked great while it worked!

Of course, getting something that can use filter bags would be nice as well. I'll have to check out the Craftsman version of it and maybe see what ShopVac has to offer.

Comment

Working...
                    X