X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another problem with my Ridgid Vac. :(

As you guys know, I got the power/blower part of my 16 gallon blower/vac replaced just recently because the switch broke.

Now, on the new one, if I run it for more than a minute or so big blue sparks start jumping around inside it and then it stops and smells like an electrical fire.

Any suggestions or should I just bring it back... again?

Re: Another problem with my Ridgid Vac.

My bet is there's a few shorted turns of the wiring in the armature. If you can get HD to swap it, YEA. If not you are more of less SOL and USC. In that case be rid of it and buy something else. Can you say exactly what you were using it for before it started acting up? It might also be that the carbon brushes cracked or hang up in the brush holders. Again, that would be where if HD will swap it go for it. Someone that can and does work on small electric motors could check it out. If the armature is bad, then into the trash it needs to go. They do not come cheap.

WW

Are you giving your vac any long and heavy duty use? If yes, it's time for you to get a serious machine made for commercial users. You won't find such at HD or Lowes, but they are made and once you have one, there's no going back to the lesser machines.

Comment

WW

If you let the motor cool for say 1/2 hour or longer and then turn it on, does it spark right away or must it run a few minutes first? The BIG STINK has me thinking you really would do well to try to get HD to swap it for another if they will.

Comment

Nothing caused this one. It was like this out of the box.

I've used it twice since bringing it home and both times it's happened. I'll bring it back again and see what they say.

I'm really not using it for anything heavy duty. It's just for my house and to use in my garage.

Just checked the receipt... I'm now out of the 90 day return period so it looks like I've gotta go the repair route.

Anyone know if there are authorized repair shops around Toronto or do I have to go through HD?

Comment

WW

Crazy comment removed by me. --->

This may help some with finding a service center.
          http://www.ridgid.com/MenuDriver.asp...enters&Code=WD

This is making me that that maybe Ridgid needs to change the design and maybe recall them. I hope others with this model will post what kind of luck they've had with them.
          Last edited by Woussko; 03-24-2007, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Excellent. There's a service center not more than 5 mins away from my house!

Thanks Woussko!

Comment

Sure WW
              Glad to help. (Comment removed after thinking about it)
              Last edited by Woussko; 03-25-2007, 01:25 AM.

Comment

what model do you have? i have a ridgid 16 gal vac and i love it i treat it very harsh too (leaving it out side, tossing it in the back of my truck ect) and it has never had a problem ever.
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I think it's the WD1665 where you can detatch the power head and use it as a hand held blower. http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/16-Gallo...ower/index.htm

The WD1850 16 gallon ProVac might well be (I'm about 95% sure it is) a better made machine and what he should be looking at. http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/16-Gallon-WD-Vac/index.htm

Comment

Yeah, the WD1665 is the one I've got.

And I really shouldn't need a pro vac. Generally speaking, I'll be using it to vacuum out my car now and then and just for general cleanup around the garage. I just need one that's been put together right to begin with.

Comment

I have the same vac and right now the switch, sometimes, sticks. Other than that it works flawslessly. I use the heck out of mine, as a vac and blower on my patio. Sorry to hear of the problems, I'll have to keep an eye on mine tho.
                      If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

WW

If you do take it to the service place, ask that they check the brushes first. If they hang up in the holders (dust and dirt cause this all the time) that would bring about the problem. Did it spark right when you first powered it up? Did you have to run it a bit first? Sometimes brushes or holders just aren't made right and they bind up. Sometimes it's dust or corrosion. I sure hope it's not the armature needing replacement, but if it is, be strong. Demand that it be replaced under warranty. Take papers.

This may seem crazy but it happens. With a brand new motor or when brushes are replaced, they need to be seated - broken in before full Voltage is applied. The old school was to apply about 1/2 of Rated Voltage and let the motor run on the bench for 15 - 30 minutes and then try it at rated Voltage. If you just start off at full Voltage in too many cases you get fierce arcing and burn things up. Now let's think about what are the chances that the motors really get broken in at the factory. My bet is they skip that step and if it runs, then into the head it goes.
                        Last edited by Woussko; 03-26-2007, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Well it's brand new, fresh out of the box so there's no dirt or anything in it.

It runs for about a minute or two, then slows and stops and you can see the sparks jumping inside it and smell burning.

I'm gonna call the repair shop now and see what they say... I'll post up the results...

Comment

Ok... talked to the repair shop... he said to just bring in the head and he'll take care of it. Of course, I can't really imagine what else they'd say.

Hopefully it all goes smoothly. I'll let you guys know. Not sure when I'll get there though as they close at 5 and aren't open on weekends.

Comment

DEFECTIVE or is's simply an engineering issue where they went all out to save 5 cents on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X