DP1550 Drill Press Assembly Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DP1550 Drill Press Assembly Question

I am putting together my new DP1550 and have a question about attaching the chuck. The manual says after placing the chuck on by hand to open the jaws as wide as they will go, place a piece of wood under the chuck and press the chuck into the wood "until chuck is secure." I have put about as much pressure on it with the feed handles (as specified by manual) as I care to, but I am not sure the chuck is seated as far up as it should be. The top of the chuck is even with the top of the first part of the lower spindle with the smaller diameter part of the spindle in the middle fully exposed. Is this far enough? The manual does not provide a check point.

Re: DP1550 Drill Press Assembly Question

Don't have the Ridgid DP but this is what I did to mine. After I had gone through the steps you mentioned I then lowered the table down far enough so that it was out of the way. Then I placed a piece of 2x4 against the chuck and gave it a few whacks with a hammer to fully seat it.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Dave - I will give that a try. Other chucks I have switched were all with portable drills and they were held in with a screw, so this is new territory for me.

BTW, IIRC your Badgers are coming to Columbus this fall. Should be a good game. I hope Bielema doesn't get a streak going against Tressel like Barry had.

Comment

Hi NavyBuck. I took some pictures of mine. The caveat is....this may not be absolutely correct, but it works!!!

Hope this helps. I really love my DP. I find I use it more often than I'd originally thought I would.
        Attached Files
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks, VASandy - that helps a lot. I have lurked on these forums for quite some time and the good scoop and help you can get here is amazing!

Comment

Working...
          X