old ideas with new tools?(table saws)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old ideas with new tools?(table saws)

i have a wealth of old books and magaizes from the late 30s and into the early 40s(yes i am a pack rat) but did you know that during that time you could put a sanding disk on your table saw (atached to the blade) if you could not aford a dado set you could just stack so many blades to get the job done enough to to finish with a chisle, and how about this to get abaisve blades and cover you saw top with tin sheet to cut tile, glass, and brick.

man they sure new how to get there moneys worth back then didn't they. i might try the dado one day but i fear what it would look like
    9/11/01, never forget.

Re: old ideas with new tools?(table saws)

OSC, just remember that todays tools are not made the way they used to be. Plastic does not hold up like steel did. LOL
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
      i have a wealth of old books and magaizes from the late 30s and into the early 40s(yes i am a pack rat) but did you know that during that time you could put a sanding disk on your table saw (atached to the blade) if you could not aford a dado set you could just stack so many blades to get the job done enough to to finish with a chisle, and how about this to get abaisve blades and cover you saw top with tin sheet to cut tile, glass, and brick.

man they sure new how to get there moneys worth back then didn't they. i might try the dado one day but i fear what it would look like

They already got something like that - it's called a "tile-saw." Imagine that?!

Comment

OSC, I made up a few of those sanding disc for the Table Saw, I'll take an old blade grind down the teeth and glue on sand paper. Been doing that for years, can't remember where I saw someone do that, but it works great. On one side of the blade I'll have 80 grit, then the other side will be 120, another blade will be 150 and 200, so on. Its a great trick, and cheap.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/Walker...8-BenchSaw.pdf

page 29 of this tells some of what i talking about, there is useful info though out the whole book.
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

OSC, i see what you mean after looking at that page, thats what Newman meant when he said tile saw, wasn't thinking about cutting metal and tiles on a table saw. I was in OWWM yesterday, down loaded the assembly, operating instruction manual and part list for my Craftsman Accra-Arm 10 inch Radial Saw, I believe it was made in 1958, never thought I'd find the manual, then I bumped into this site yesterday, and viola, got the manual. Just ecstatic about that, made my day. Theres a few things I don't have that the manual shows, but thats all right, the light that attaches to it would have been nice. I'm building a new table top for it, starting to come together, needed to find if there was certain places to put oil into, and there was (is).
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

yes that site is amazing i visit 2-3 times a week and there is just so much info an it keeps growing. i would recomend that site ot most of the users here
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I think Freud still sells blank blades and sanding discs to convert a table saw into a disc sander.

Originally posted by papadan View Post
                OSC, just remember that todays tools are not made the way they used to be. Plastic does not hold up like steel did. LOL
                Well partly yes but I think one of the reasons you don't see much of that anymore is safety. Tools are designed to perform a very specific set of functions which will meet certain safety parameters. Anything more and there's a lawsuit waiting to happen somewhere.

Comment

Interesting post OSC

Thanks - Jim
                  Cheers! - Jim
                  -------------
                  All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                    I think Freud still sells blank blades and sanding discs to convert a table saw into a disc sander.
                    Sears sells them and so does Cummins tools. Sears is about $18. Cummins ($11) sells one made by Ridgid. Both come with a med and fine sanding disc attached. Replacement 10" PSA discs can be found at sears.

Go
                    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                    X