X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 Volt Line sticking around?

I am looking at buying into the Ridgid 24v tools but have some concerns. I have been to three Home Depots and none of them stock the batteries. Also they only stock the 3 piece kit and the circular saw. Where as the 18v line they have plenty of tools and batteries. Is the 24v system a solid line or will it be discontinued. I don't want to buy into something that is not going to be around. Also I noticed on the circular saw box it mentions it can be powered by 3 different batteries, the 24v XLI, 18v XLI, and the 18v ni cad.
    Is there really a 18v XLI lithium battery in the 18v line? If so that might be the line I would go with. I have not seen the 18v XLI listed anywhere else.
    I am currently using 18v dewalt ni cads and the batteries are dying. At 90 bucks a pop I think it's time for a change. Also the rigid products web site is really weak with information, just the same as the tool guys at HD. They were not able to answer the above questions.
    With lithium batteries and a lifetime warrenty Ridgid might have something here. Thanks for your replies.

Re: 24 Volt Line sticking around?

I agree with your comments. I'm in the same position and would hate to drop this type of money and commit to a certain tool line. I noticed that Home Depot came out with an Instant Savings special this week, so I stopped into a few stores. Two of the stores said that the Ridgid 4 piece combo kit was marked on clearence and it would not be applicable for the Instant Savings offer. Worst yet, at $397, it's 3 dollars away from the $75 off coupon. I was looking to get the Ridgid set because of the great sale, but the sale isn't looking to good right now. You could purcahse the more expensive Makita set and get the $75 or $125 off coupon.
    Last edited by brianss; 03-29-2007, 05:43 PM.

Comment

24 Volt Line Sticking around........
      No one knows what lurks in the minds of large company managers, however I would guess that Ridgid coupled with the partnership they have with Home Depot intends the 24V LI tools as the flagship of their professional battery tool line. Earlier there were hyperlinks to Ridgid at some of the big national tool shows and they were definately pumping the 24V line and the MaxSelect tools.
      http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Trade-Shows/index.htm
      There is no 18V LI line yet and I havn't heard when they will relase it.
      As to the 18V Makita vs the 24V Ridgid conundrum like many things in life one has to make trade offs. I looked at both of them. I lusted after the feather lite Makita 18V drill. I liked the feel of durability and the raw power of the Ridgid 24V line of products. Since I have to replace the batteries every couple of years for my 12V set I really, really liked the Ridgid 24V Lifetime Sevice Agreement that even covers the batteries. My contractor nephew just spent some big money replacing his DeWalt drill($285) because it was worn to the point where the repair was more than the replacement. The same tool would have been repaired or replaced under the Ridgid Lifetime Service Agreement. I believe the Ridgid combo sets are still quite less expensive than the Makita and I like the fact that I can add the MaxSelect tools without being forced to buy more batteries and charger as with many of the other companies.
      I purchased the Ridgid 24V LI four tool combo set which includes the Hammer Drill, recip saw, circ saw, and flashlite. I took advantage of a promo at the time and picked up the MaxSelect jig saw. There was an early problem with defective batteries but HD changed out that set and the problem seems resolved. I find the Hammer drill to be surprisingly usable considering its weight and the power is awesome. The recip saw is so powerful and usable that my contractor nephew and I leave his corded milwaulkie(sp) in the truck for small jobs. Havn't had a chance to use the circ. saw beyond the first day test which amounted to knocking off about 25 2x4 slices in quick succession. Made a few 2x6 cuts without any tendency to lug down. Jig saw seems to be built with the foot difficult to level which causes a slight off angle cut in thick pieces. I took the first one back but the replacement has the same problem. I can mess with it and get it right but it seems like the shoe/saw base machining might be slightly off causing a bind with the adjustable bevel.
      I tried the MaxSelect Power Planer but returned it when I couldn't get a smooth plane and no one on this forum or at Home Depot had any suggestions to make it work.
      There is a pretty good test of all the major LI players at
      http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/artic...type=art icle.
      Well, this is probably way more than you wanted. Happy hunting

Comment

Originally posted by brianss View Post
        I agree with your comments. I'm in the same position and would hate to drop this type of money and commit to a certain tool line. I noticed that Home Depot came out with an Instant Savings special this week, so I stopped into a few stores. Two of the stores said that the Ridgid 4 piece combo kit was marked on clearence and it would not be applicable for the Instant Savings offer. Worst yet, at $397, it's 3 dollars away from the $75 off coupon. I was looking to get the Ridgid set because of the great sale, but the sale isn't looking to good right now. You could purcahse the more expensive Makita set and get the $75 or $125 off coupon.
        brianss,
        I just bought the combo pack at home depot and got the additional $75 off. If you look at the sale sheet it says any combination of tools, pneumatic fasteners and other things. So I bought the tools for $397 and a pack of nails for my air nailer and that put me over the $400 mark so I got the additional $75 off.

Comment

Well, I finally broke down and got the Ridigid 24v combo kit this weekend. I wanted to at least take advantage of of the Instant Savings sale at HD. Of course, I took the combo kit to the counter, along with a work pencil. The lady said that my purchase did not total the $400 for a combined offer. I explained to her that the ad states job site tools and well, a pencil is a job site tool. Long story short, she called the manager in the tool department and since he sees me all of the time, he went ahead and gave me the $75 off, plus the 10% coupon I had. I haven't had a chance to use them yet, but I hope all goes well. If anything, I have 90 days to return them, in case they come out with a 18v lithium line. I hope the 24v set will work out for me, especially when the Impact Drive is released.

Now if I was a contractor that used the tools on a daily basis, I would have opted for the Makita set because of their reputation and tool weight. But since I won't be using the tools every day, I was a little worried about the battery life. The last thing I want to do is to have to replace a $100 battery on the Makita tools. Being in the computer business and owning all kinds of tech gagdets, I spend more money each year on batteries, so I really like the idea of getting the batteries replaced under warranty, even though it's probably going to take forever for the service center to turn around the tools, based on my research. I was a little worried after I called the service centers to find out the large volumes of Ridigid tools that are being returned. But this could be because of the lifetime warranty. In any case, the service centers did say that Ridgid always follows through on their warranties, which is great.

Now a quick word about Ridgid. I was really dissapointed to see that no product manager or employee ever reponds to these forums, from what I could see. I love the way they posts new products, like the Impact Driver, but you can't find them anywhere. I watched the trade show video where, Mike - the product manager, said he could not announce any new tools when asked what would be coming out. Give me break... All of the other competitors, like Dewalt, Makita, etc, have already released twice as many tools. Why is Ridgid holding out on tools that should already be in the market place. At least give your customers something to look forward to. And why can't they follow-up on these forums regarding tool quality, release dates, concerns, etc. And their customer service stinks as compared to other companies, like Makita. C'mon Ridgid, get your act together. I hope others will find my feedback helpful...
          Last edited by brianss; 04-12-2007, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X