X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium Tool Questions

I had a couple of questions below, while I'm trying to decide on which tool line to go with.

1. Is there a seperate Impact Driver tool that will be offered with the 24v Lithium tools or is the MaxSelect R8823 Impact Driver, the one that is offered? I saw a few threads about an Impact Driver coming in April 07', but I wasn't sure.

2. Has anyone compared the Ridgid 24v XLI tools to the Makita 18v LXT tools. I was set to go with the Ridgid combo kit, but the Makita line looks really nice, plus the tools weigh allot less and seem to have similar power. Also, it seems that they offer the full line of tools, like grinders, etc. I wonder if Ridgid will ever offer that many tools in their line.

3. I read the review article at: http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/artic...0&type=article.

The Ridgid tools look like they got a decent review, but the article didn't offer any recommendations or comparisons. I just noticed how heavy the Ridgid tools are, along with the other 28v and 36v tools. I wonder if some of these companies will start going to a 18v lithium line, like Makita, based on the weight.

Thanks.
    Last edited by brianss; 03-29-2007, 06:08 PM.

Re: Lithium Tool Questions

I'm sure that we are only seeing the early stages so far. If you can wait, do so and I bet you'll see many new tools added. I do like the Makita but they can be a bit pricy depending on how much you'll use them. With TTI now owning Milwaukee and having owned Ryobi and making most of the hand held power tools for Ridgid's line, you can be pretty sure more is on the way. I bet the Dewalt - Black & Decker has something up as well.

Comment

1)The R8823 is the impact driver being released for sale in April according to the email I received from Ridgid.
      2)I don't know where you obtained the information demonstrating that the Makita 18V LI has similar power to the Ridgid 24V LI. I don't believe the test you have listed below makes that claim. I agree that the Makita 18V is lighter but some of that comes at the price of much smaller batteries which would indicate less run time. I have the Ridgid 24V LI set with Hammer Drill, circ. saw, recip. saw and jig saw. I found the drill to be surprisingly usable even though it is obviously heavy. The raw power for all these tools is impressive. Of course one of the powerful selling points of the Ridgid tools is the Lifetime Service Agreement
      which covers virtually everything including the batteries.
      I can't comment on Rigid's product plans beyond the items already listed for release under the MaxSelect line. If the Rigid product line in the older 14.4 tools is any indication they will increase the number of tools. I have seen indications that Ridgid will introduce a 18V LI line to compliment the Max select tools.

Comment

I have the Makita LXT kit and its nice but there are factors to consider. The Makita tools are lite and their run time is great, but it does come at a cost in performance. They are not underpowered tools by any means but most of my Dewalt 18v tools are clearly more powerfull than the Makita LXT ones. The hammerdrill is an average performer at best and the sawzall leaves a bit to be desired in power. The circular saw actually works very well. The impact driver is truly the crowning jewl of the LXT line. Its super light and tiny and its not the kind of tool that will benefit from a bigger battery. That will just make it heavier and larger. I do not own the Ridgid 24v but there should be no contest in terms of power. The 24v tools will very likely be much better in that respect. Makita's tool selection will be hard to match they have over 30 tools and a lot more to come including impact wrenches and jigsaws.

Comment

The Max Select and 24v tools are the same tools. The 24v impact driver is due in late April. Ridgid is going to release an 18v L-ion drill very much like the Makita's compact design. The 18-24v L-ion tool selection is increasing, can't wait!

Comment

The Max Select and 24v tools are the same tools...........I'm not certain
            ARE1's statement is correct. I have a 24V LI starter kit and all the tools hammer-drill, circ. saw, recip. saw are marked 24V on the #plate while the MaxSelect jig saw which I purcahsed later is marked 24V-18V on the #plate. I havn't checked with ridgid to confirm this(to lazy). Maybe Josh could clarify.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I was at Home Depot today and checked out the Ridgid 4-piece 24v kit. They only had a couple of them left. Although, they had a whole stack of the 3-piece sets. I got to admit that I thought the drill was almost to big. After a closer inspection, it appears that it's the battery that makes the drill look so bulky. The weight has a nice balance to it. They had a Makita 18v lithium drill right next to it and what a difference. The Makita drill felt so much nicer as far as the weight. The one question I had is what will the new Ridgid Impact Driver look like with that big 24v battery? It almost seems to defeat the purchase to have compact Impact Driver with that gigantic battery.

Comment

Originally posted by brianss View Post
                It almost seems to defeat the purchase to have compact Impact Driver with that gigantic battery.
                My point exactly. Due to the way they work impact drivers don't benefit from more power, they mostly just get more runtime. Even the big 36v impact wrenches with 300+ ft/lbs of torque are rated about the same as 18v ones. In this case compact size is the real advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                  My point exactly. Due to the way they work impact drivers don't benefit from more power, they mostly just get more runtime. Even the big 36v impact wrenches with 300+ ft/lbs of torque are rated about the same as 18v ones. In this case compact size is the real advantage.
                  I agree...as a driver. However, I'd love to see a big 24V impact wrench from Ridgid, with plus 200 ft.lbs...not 1,200-1,400 in.lbs.

Comment

Disaster

Maybe you would like this.
                    http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba..._192145_192137

Comment

My only concern with going with Makita is that I don't use the tools on a daily basis and I wonder how the lithium batteries will hold up. At least with Ridgid, I have the lifetime warranty on the batteries. I would hate to buy the Makita set and then drop another $100 for a new battery after a few years. Will the Makita batteries hold up if they are not used much or at least not on a daily basis?

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                        Disaster

Maybe you would like this.
                        http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba..._192145_192137
                        Yes, that is exactly what I'd like to see Ridgid make. I'd add it to my 24 V collection in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by brianss View Post
                          My only concern with going with Makita is that I don't use the tools on a daily basis and I wonder how the lithium batteries will hold up. At least with Ridgid, I have the lifetime warranty on the batteries. I would hate to buy the Makita set and then drop another $100 for a new battery after a few years. Will the Makita batteries hold up if they are not used much or at least not on a daily basis?
                          Lithium batteries hold up to non-use much better than NiCds or NiMh. If stored in a cool environment they could still have 80% of their capacity in three years. They do not need to be cycled.

Comment

Working...
                          X