Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Buyer

Hello all,

I'm having trouble finding anything more than d'spected saws from major tool stores & shops. I'm looking to find a durable circular saw for my new deck project on my home.

I want the "origional" manufaturer's model, but running into the same problem (as stated above).

Any ideas/places I should look other than Home Depot or Lowe's?

Thanks all,

Bob

Re: New Buyer

Not sure exactly it is you are looking for in a CS (Circular Saw) from your post. Left or Right blade; worm or direct drive; cordless/corded; Made in USA (Yeah!!) or made who knows where. We need a bit more info to be able to offer any worthwhile suggestions.

Between the two places you mention there should be about 30 different circular saws to choose from. If what you want is not in that collection you have some pretty particular needs.

You can try Sears, Amazon, and the woodworking stores like Woodcraft, plus a host of other internet stores. The corner hardware store (ya know, the guy who lives in your neighborhood and pays taxes to your municipality) frequented by local contractors will be another place.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Re: New Buyer Question...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[quote=bobj1444;73361]Hello all,

I'm having trouble finding anything more than d'spected saws from major tool stores & shops. I'm looking to find a durable circular saw for my new deck project on my home.

I want the "origional" manufaturer's model, but running into the same problem (as stated above).

I don't know what "d'spected" or "original manufaturer's model" mean. I don't know how complex this deck job is(pretty much straight cut or lots of angles) however I have found a compound miter saw to be the most useful when building decks. That and a good screw gun of course.

Comment

Thanks for the input all, as I really appreciate the advice!

As for what I mean by d'spected tools; from what I've been reading up on, through a ton of research lately, I've found that experts know that certain tools have been torn apart and/or "refurbished" with different parts to make one specific tool.

Apparently, these types have given more trouble than assistance, and they're just as expensive. So, I'm merely trying to get more info on what "not" to buy.

As for the "Manufacturer's Model," this is apparently the signature model that any specific company has created from 'scratch,' meaning, the origional of its kind. Or so I have read.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bobj1444 View Post
          Thanks for the input all, as I really appreciate the advice!

As for what I mean by d'spected tools; from what I've been reading up on, through a ton of research lately, I've found that experts know that certain tools have been torn apart and/or "refurbished" with different parts to make one specific tool.

Apparently, these types have given more trouble than assistance, and they're just as expensive. So, I'm merely trying to get more info on what "not" to buy.

As for the "Manufacturer's Model," this is apparently the signature model that any specific company has created from 'scratch,' meaning, the origional of its kind. Or so I have read.

Bob
          1. Don't buy a refurbished tool, is what your experts are telling you (I think).
          2. If what ever you have been reading and they are telling you what not to buy, then they must have said what (who) to buy.
          3. If your asking what is a good Circular Saw, then say so.
          4. American made, oversea made, red, blue, yellow, what do you want.
          5. If your saying all new tools are made with used parts, I doubt that.
          6. "Original of it's kind", you better look for the very first saw ever made.
          7. "Everything" in the saw has its own patent, don't think so.

I think I do understand (somewhat) what your getting at, but these days, everything is practically shared or taken from one manufacturer to another. Some has different designs then others, some has a special feature that has a patent. To find a saw that is in a class of its own, is darn near impossible. Where are you getting your info from, and why such an extensive research? The saw that you would like to buy, that your trying to tell us, that exist, probably wouldn't last any longer than the top selling brand saws. There just wasn't enough info from you to give you an exact answer, there is a lot missing from you. If our answers are not what your looking for then try to explain to us a more detailed question. There are sooooo many saws to chose from, consumer reports probably has a good article also, might look there too.
          Last edited by garager; 04-10-2007, 07:54 PM.
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

My two cents: You absolutely cannot go wrong with the Skil HD77M worm drive saw. It's a tough as nails contractor's saw that will last a lifetime for the average homeowner. I have had mine for over 10 years without a single problem. It was recommended to me by my father-in-law who is a mason and uses his to cut bricks and blocks every day.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	e6e1fabebf08b1e141d126a83a954c7c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	1013
            Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

Working...
            X