makita Lithium-ion drill/driver BDF452HW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• makita Lithium-ion drill/driver BDF452HW

What do you guys think of this tool? I've read both good and bad reviews. Anybody own one? It retails for about 250 dollars CDN.

My main reason for this purchase would be deck building - driving long deck screws and in great numbers over a short peroid of time. This kit has a 15 min charger, and the drill is supposed to have loads of power and stamina. When I'm done the deck I can add it to my workshop. What do you think?

Re: makita Lithium-ion drill/driver BDF452HW

I just picked up an impact driver and for your application especially I would recommend it over a drill/driver. Very highly. I have a dewalt and I love it, I have heard good things about the makita and the panasonic on this forum as well. Mine is 14.4 and I doubt you would need anything with more power (that will also be heavier/more expensive).

Do yourself a favor and try out the impact version before you buy if you can, you will be amazed at the difference it makes driving long screws vs a drill/driver and on a deck job it will do wonders for your wrist and elbow health.
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I have that drill and its really nice. Lots of power for such a tiny light drill. It makes for a great woodworking drill which is what I use it for mainly. However I'm going to second the suggestion of getting an impact driver for what you want to do. It will handle large screws much better, offer longer run time, and easier on the user as well. The Makita compact drill comes with 1.5 a.h. compact batteries so you might find yourself running short on very long jobs. They do charge really fast though, under 15 min.

Comment

Add me to the impact driver recommended list. Impact drivers work soooo much better when driving screws. I have been very happy with a inexpensive Ryobi One+ 18V driver. I also have the Ridgid 12V right angle.

The other nice thing about an impact driver is you can keep it set up for driving while the drill is set up for drilling. You can just grab one or the other...no time lost changing bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
          Add me to the impact driver recommended list. Impact drivers work soooo much better when driving screws. I have been very happy with a inexpensive Ryobi One+ 18V driver. I also have the Ridgid 12V right angle.

The other nice thing about an impact driver is you can keep it set up for driving while the drill is set up for drilling. You can just grab one or the other...no time lost changing bits.
          Ditto...

I have Bosch 12V Impactor and love it. I also have the Ridgid right angle and recommend it - it's sooooo handy at times.

I recently got a Bosch Pocket Driver and it's as good as everyone says.

Comment

One negative I forgot to mention is the noise of an impact. They go rat-a-tat-tat...like a quiet version of an impact hammer. They are quieter when driving screws into wood, compared to steel...but you should still wear hearing protection for either.

http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctid=187

"Those we’ve tested have also been loud enough to require hearing protection."

Comment

hey dude I own alot of drills/impacts

I have the drill you are talking about and love it
              I use it every day and have to say its a good.....great drill the only thing i dont like is the battry life (kinda short but charges fast)
              but if i was deck building my first tool would be impact then a good Circular Saw
              the ridgid impact is good buck for bang (its $150 regina)(1 battery)
              the Makita impact is great,light, lots of power and fantasic battery life(Lithium)

I think im a drillaholic
              ________
              vaporizer affiliate program
              Last edited by RODDY; 01-22-2011, 09:33 AM.

Comment

I posted about the impact driver from makita ,drove a 100 1/4 by2.1/4long lag bolts on a single charge .go for the combo kit you will love both tools

Comment

Working...
                X