X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• impact drivers

Can anyone enlighten me to the main differences (in capabilities) of a drill/driver and an impact driver? I am confused!

Re: impact drivers

Drill/driver turns the chuck in a continuous motion. The impact driver turns the chuck in short bursts after each impact of the drive anvil. I think a drill/driver is still better than impact at drilling holes but an impact excels at everything else. Impacts have at least 3 times the torque of an equivalent voltage driver and weigh about 1/2 as much

Comment

In use an impact driver takes the pressure off of the users wrist and arm because the "impact" action does the work. It will strip the screw head far less and enable you to drive bigger screws with much less effort. The power to weight ratio ends up way better too. I responded to your other post as well and since you are building a deck I think most will agree the impact driver is the only way to go.
      A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
        Drill/driver turns the chuck in a continuous motion. The impact driver turns the chuck in short bursts after each impact of the drive anvil. I think a drill/driver is still better than impact at drilling holes but an impact excels at everything else. Impacts have at least 3 times the torque of an equivalent voltage driver and weigh about 1/2 as much
        I would add the one negative of an impact is the noise. It does go Clack-Clack-Clack as it drives the screw.

Comment

Working...
        X