Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

inline dimmer for variable speed on tools?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inline dimmer for variable speed on tools?

I asked this question in a previous post but it was not part of the original title of the thread so it kinda got burried.

I am wondering if anyone has used a dimmer for and after market variable speed control on sanders and the like? I ordered a multimaster and while reading the reviews someone there said they installed one on their single speed model. I was told previously that it is not a good idea on routers, but if I could do it to my belt sander and multimaster it seems like it would be helpful as long as it wont harm the tool.

Any experience with this technique?
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Re: inline dimmer for variable speed on tools?

I don't know the answer to your question however you might have better luck if you post this to the Electrical Forum. My gut feeling is that what you're proposing wouldn't be very good for the motor on your sanders.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Please download this .PDF file and on the second page see the "Cord & Plug" model picture. For running heavy corded power tools you'll want the model 3PN126 which has a 15 Amp. load rating. Now I must warn you that this does not come cheap. You might get lucky and find a good used one, but do be careful as many used ones are messed up inside. This is a variable "autoformer" (1 winding) transformer. Unlike a light dimmer it will not trash up the sign wave input power. What changes is Voltage out as you adjust the knob which moves a brush along the winding. These make awesome lamp dimmers, by the way and if not abused last for many years.

http://www.superiorelectric.com/PDF/Z20pwst.pdf
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Woussko; 04-04-2007, 04:43 AM.

Comment

You can't use an ordinary lamp dimmer since it's not designed for an inductive load. You can use a router speed controller assuming your tool does not have a soft-start circuitry and you don't exceed the wattage of the controller...

Here is one for you to check out>>>

http://www.woodzone.com/Merchant2/me...ct_Code=828122

-
        Last edited by Newman; 04-02-2007, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. It makes sense that most tools would give you more than two speeds if it was as simple as a dimmer switch to give you a whole spectrum on a dial. I seriously had better not buy anymore tools or accessories for a while though unless it's to build a dog house for putting us in the poor house.
          A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Working...
          X