X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24v LI Hammer Drill - surging?

I recently bought the Ridgid 24v LI hammer drill 851150. (on clearance, what a deal.) So far I love it. I am noticeing, though, that the motor seems to be "surging". It doesn't do it all the time. I can see/feel a very noticable pulsing in the power while drilling. It also does it sometime when there is no load on it. Can this be a "break in" thing or do I have a problem?
    Also, I bought the Ridgid because of the clearance price & the Lifetime Service Agreement. I registerd my new tool on line. It was a couple of days later that I read REALLY FINE PRINT. I saw that I need to mail in a copy of the receipt AND the UPC. I have already thrown the box away! I went ahead & mailed the copy of my Home Depot receipt but don't have the UPC to mail in. Anyone else had this experience & did I just throw away a lifetime service agreement?
    Thanks for any help & I am already expecting to get ragged on for doing something that stupid.

Re: 24v LI Hammer Drill - surging?

Originally posted by tgunn View Post
    I recently bought the Ridgid 24v LI hammer drill 851150. (on clearance, what a deal.) So far I love it. I am noticeing, though, that the motor seems to be "surging". It doesn't do it all the time. I can see/feel a very noticable pulsing in the power while drilling. It also does it sometime when there is no load on it. Can this be a "break in" thing or do I have a problem?
    Also, I bought the Ridgid because of the clearance price & the Lifetime Service Agreement. I registerd my new tool on line. It was a couple of days later that I read REALLY FINE PRINT. I saw that I need to mail in a copy of the receipt AND the UPC. I have already thrown the box away! I went ahead & mailed the copy of my Home Depot receipt but don't have the UPC to mail in. Anyone else had this experience & did I just throw away a lifetime service agreement?
    Thanks for any help & I am already expecting to get ragged on for doing something that stupid.

I would return it. They should accept it without the box. Sounds like you have problems with the trigger. If the battery drains drastically that should give another clue.
    Call C.S. and ask them about the UPC
    Last edited by onlycordless; 04-02-2007, 01:13 AM.
    http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

I've never seen a power drill do that and it doesn't sound normal. If it were me I'd probably take the drill to get replaced.

Comment

Take it back. I never had that prob. with mine. I agree sounds like a trigger problem.

Comment

Thanks for your responses I agree. Because it had been on clearance, my local HD didn't have one to replace it with. Long story short..I returned it, got an 18 volt drill (came with a free 9.6v screwdriver). My new 18v isn't LI, but I decided that it does have enough power for me & with a LSA, how important is the LI advantage.
          I think I'm happy now......at least until I see another tool I can't live without.

Thanks,
          tgunn

Comment

Originally posted by tgunn View Post
            Thanks for your responses I agree. Because it had been on clearance, my local HD didn't have one to replace it with. Long story short..I returned it, got an 18 volt drill (came with a free 9.6v screwdriver). My new 18v isn't LI, but I decided that it does have enough power for me & with a LSA, how important is the LI advantage.
            I think I'm happy now......at least until I see another tool I can't live without.

Thanks,
            tgunn
            Hello, I bought my ridgid 24 volt kit at christmas when it was on sale and I have to say it's the best cordless drill I have ever owned. I have a V28 MILLWAUKEE, 18VOLT Dewalt, 14.4volt Dewalt, Ryobi 18 volt 3speed hammer drill and a Dewalt 36 volt hammer drill and the 24volt ridgid and I have to say the Ridgid 24v is my favorite drill. I'm into batteries and power systems and I can tell you that the advantage of lithium ion far exceeds nicad or nickle metal hydride. The first thing you will notice with lithium ion is the fact that the battery has almost twice the watt hour capacity than the 18 volt nicads which mean almost twice the total work done (with all other varibles being th e same), also the lithium ion batteries don't get very hot when used hard and you can put them immediatly on charge after using them hard. Nicads won't charge when hot so when you use them hard till dead and try to recharge them the charger won't charge them till they have cooled for half an hour or longer. Lithium ion does't self discharge like nicads do. When you charge a nicad you loose up to 20% in the first 24 hours after you take it off the charger and then 10% in the next 24 hours. Another nice thing about lithium ion is that you can charge them anytime when done whether there dead or not, it does not matter, where they say you should run nicads all the way down before recharging. Another adavantage to the Ridgid 24 volt batteries is the fuel gauge, which is pretty acurate. Also the Ridgid 24 volt lithium batteries have an overload protection feature which cuts off the power from the battery in the event of an overload of short circuit. To reset it you put the battery in the charger for a few seconds. I bought an 18 volt Ridgid X2 hammer drill and modified it to accept a 24volt battery an man!!, that thing is insane!! I use it with the 24volt battery more than I do the 24volt drill with the 24volt battery. I took the 24volt drill apart (as I do all the other power tools when I get them to inspect and add more grease to them and oil the motor bearings) and I have to say it is built like a brick sh-t house and has the biggest gears of any cordless drill I have seen, also the motor has ball bearings at both ends which is the first time I have seen that on a cordless drill. Well I hope I have been able to help. You can find deals on ebay for cordless tools, that is where I bought my 18 volt ridgid drill for 36 dollars.

Comment

I have to agree with Steve Klyce. I also bought the 24v kit around Christmas. I was using a 18v Dewalt before. I love the 24v. The drill is one of the most powerful cordless drill I have ever used. The batteries are made by the same company that makes Millwaukee's 28v. And while the 18v Ridgid and 24v weigh about the same. In the 24v the actual drill makes up most the weight not the battery. So you get a lot more drill for the same weight. The run times on the batteries is great and no real fade in power. On the last job I had to drill 50 - 3/16" holes in a block wall for tapcon screws. I drilled most of them with a 3/4 charged battery that had been sitting for over a week, and with as much power and torque as my 1/2" Makita corded hammer drill. I would check and see if any of Home Depots have the 24v. If Ridgid can ever get the max select line really going, I don't think you are going to be able to buy these tools as cheap. The new 3pc 24v set is going for what I got my 4pc for.

Also Steve where did you get the 18v Ridgid for 36 bucks. I have to try that.

Comment

Working...
              X