Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid 18v Lithium Tools

Originally posted by staab29 View Post
    I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT BUT THE IMPACT THAT U HAVE IS FOR 24 AND 18 VOLT, THEY ARE NOT GOING TO MAKE A 18 VOLT ONLY IMPACT THAT IS SMALLER. THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT A DRILL. AND I DONT KNOW WHAT U USE AN IMPACT FOR, BUT WE USE THEM FOR HEAVY DUTY JOBS LIKE PUTTING IN LAG BOLTS AND TIGHTENING NUTS, SO WHY WOULD SOMETHING THAT IS USED FOR HEAVY DUTY JOBS BE SMALL AND LIGHT WEIGHT. THEY NEED TO BE BUILT TOUGH SO THEY CAN WITHSTAND ABUSE. IF YOU NEED A TOOL TO PUT IN 1'' DRYWALL SCREWS JUST USE A DRILL, I DONT THINK YOU REALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT AN IMPACT DRIVER IS USED FOR.

LET ME GIVE YOU A LESSON ON TORQUE AND TOOLS FOR THAT MATTER.

AN IMPACT DRIVER HAS DIFFERENT GEARING AS OPPOSED TO A DRILL. A DRILL SPINS AND WILL STRIP SCREWS EASIER THAN AN IMPACT DRIVER WHICH SPINS A SPRING LOADED GEAR MECHANISM.

BECAUSE OF THE GEARING IN THE IMPACT DRIVER, YOU DO NOT NEED AS MUCH POWER FOR THE TOOL TO GENERATE A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF TORQUE. THEREFORE IT SHOULD BE LIGHT. AND LIGHT CAN BE STURDY(MAGNESIUM, GRAPHITE AND ALLUMINUM FOR EXAMPLE)

I HOPE THIS ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION.

ALSO TAKE THE "CAPS" OFF. IN COMPUTERS THIS MEANS YOU ARE YELLING.

So you learned two things today.

Good Day.

Tony

P.S. If you are tightening nuts you need a impact wrench, not a driver, so before you comment get your facts straight.
    Last edited by onlycordless; 06-02-2007, 11:09 PM.
    http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT BUT THE IMPACT THAT U HAVE IS FOR 24 AND 18 VOLT, THEY ARE NOT GOING TO MAKE A 18 VOLT ONLY IMPACT THAT IS SMALLER. THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT A DRILL. AND I DONT KNOW WHAT U USE AN IMPACT FOR, BUT WE USE THEM FOR HEAVY DUTY JOBS LIKE PUTTING IN LAG BOLTS AND TIGHTENING NUTS, SO WHY WOULD SOMETHING THAT IS USED FOR HEAVY DUTY JOBS BE SMALL AND LIGHT WEIGHT. THEY NEED TO BE BUILT TOUGH SO THEY CAN WITHSTAND ABUSE. IF YOU NEED A TOOL TO PUT IN 1'' DRYWALL SCREWS JUST USE A DRILL, I DONT THINK YOU REALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT AN IMPACT DRIVER IS USED FOR.

Also, if you read my previous post I stated, if the 18 volt lithium impact driver came with "2 batteries, a charger, and the driver it would be a better deal at $179.00" vs. $119.00 soley for the current max select impact driver available.

Comment

Staab29 has in mind an Impact Wrench and not an Impact Driver. They are sure not one and the same tool. There are big differences.

Comment

Originally posted by onlycordless View Post
          Also, if you read my previous post I stated, if the 18 volt lithium impact driver came with "2 batteries, a charger, and the driver it would be a better deal at $179.00" vs. $119.00 soley for the current max select impact driver available.
          where do you keep coming up with this. nobody has said anything about an 18 volt impact driver, ITS A DRILL, so get your story straight.

Comment

Originally posted by onlycordless View Post
            LET ME GIVE YOU A LESSON ON TORQUE AND TOOLS FOR THAT MATTER.

AN IMPACT DRIVER HAS DIFFERENT GEARING AS OPPOSED TO A DRILL. A DRILL SPINS AND WILL STRIP SCREWS EASIER THAN AN IMPACT DRIVER WHICH SPINS A SPRING LOADED GEAR MECHANISM.

BECAUSE OF THE GEARING IN THE IMPACT DRIVER, YOU DO NOT NEED AS MUCH POWER FOR THE TOOL TO GENERATE A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF TORQUE. THEREFORE IT SHOULD BE LIGHT. AND LIGHT CAN BE STURDY(MAGNESIUM, GRAPHITE AND ALLUMINUM FOR EXAMPLE)

I HOPE THIS ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION.

ALSO TAKE THE "CAPS" OFF. IN COMPUTERS THIS MEANS YOU ARE YELLING.

So you learned two things today.

Good Day.

Tony

P.S. If you are tightening nuts you need a impact wrench, not a driver, so before you comment get your facts straight.

oh, you are giving me a lesson? is this coming from a guy that probably works in wal marts tool dept.. if you cant put screws in with a cordless drill them you dont even need to own any tools. impact drivers are for tougher jobs.

Comment

oh, you are giving me a lesson? is this coming from a guy that probably works in wal marts tool dept.. if you cant put screws in with a cordless drill them you dont even need to own any tools. impact drivers are for tougher jobs.
              Good job on learning what the "caps" means! Maybe you are trainable!

Now if only you could give facts and not some childish comments, you would seem more intelligent.

Comment

Not to change the topic or anything...

But I noticed that Ridgid has finally posted the compact lithium drill.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R86006-C...rill/index.htm

So does anyone know if the 18v lithium batteries will work on the Max Select Tools? I have the 24v kit, but I would really like to use the smaller 18v lithium batteries, especially on the new Impact Driver.

So does this mean, I have to buy the compact drill, just to get the 18v batteries? By the time I buy the Impact Driver + the Compact Drill, that is quite an expensive investment. I really just want the 18v lithium batteries. Any thoughts?

Comment

Looks perty! Wonder what the weight is and if it will also run on the 24v batteries? Probably not.

Comment

Maybe I should start a new thread on this one...

Comment

Regarding the new 18V lithium ion drills, they are awesome looking tools. I was at my local HD yesterday to check this item out, and they were all sold out except for a display one that they were playing with at the contractor's desk. I wanted to find out what the Ah rating was, and it didn't say anywhere on the box, or even on the battery anywhere, let alone in the manual. So the guys at the contractor's desk started calling Ridgid Tech Support, and they found out that it is indeed 2.9 Ah. Then I saw a listing on eBay this morning - same thing, 2.9 Ah. So I just called Ridgid three separate times (just to make sure), and each time I was informed of the same number - 2.9 Ah. Now, since I didn't get 10 different answers for asking the same question 10 different times, and it was always the same answer, I'm betting that Ridgid maybe/finally/hopefully got their crap together, and that this number is the real deal. Sounds awesome, as I was amazed at how light the stinkin' thing was - the drill itself isn't overly smaller than the standard 18V 1/2" drill (only maybe an inch shorter end-to-end and front-to-back), but it's the weight that makes all the difference. Still very comparable torque and speed ratings, too.

I saw it on Ebay this morning (eBay item number 290135652406). I hate how HD can't keep it's own shelves stocked of stuff like this, even considering the special arrangement that Ridgid and HD have. If more don't get to the stores ASAP, I might actually spend the extra money to get it off of eBay.

Comment

Lets get these threads corrected on the battery power. Ridgid now says it is only 1.5Ah...a huge amount less than their original info. Based on that I posted this comparison.

I just did some comparisons of Ridgid's 18 volt "compact" drill vs. some competitors.

First lets look at weight.

Ridgid 18 volt compact = 4 lbs. 5 ounces.
                        Panasonic 14.4 volt = 3 lbs. 10 ounces.
                        Makita 18 volt compact = 3lbs. 9 ounces.
                        Hitachi 18 volt compact = 3 lbs 11 ounces.

Battery total power = Voltage x Ah

Ridgid, Makita and Hitachi = 27
                        Panasonic = 43

Max. Torque in.lb

Ridgid = 455
                        Makita = 450 (there have been reviews that say this number is optimistic)
                        Panasonic = 390
                        Hitachi = 374

Size - Length from chuck tip to back of motor

Panasonic = 8"
                        Ridgid = 9 3/4"
                        Makita = 8"
                        Hitachi = 9"** **Very approximate...need to recheck.

Features

Ridgid: worklight and bit holder
                        Makita: worklight
                        Panasonic: worklight and belt hook
                        Hitachi: belt hook and bit holder

Price, alone and in kit with impact
                        Ridgid: $180
                        Makita: $200, $270
                        Hitachi: $180
                        Panasonic: $270, $360

I bought the Panasonic kit. At the time, for me, it was the best compromise of weight, size, runtime and durability. I probably would have bought the Makita kit, if it had been available at the time.

Bottom line: The Ridgid compact drill is not that compact. Nor is it an great value compared to the competitive offerings...especially compared to the Makita kit that includes an impact driver.
                        Last edited by Disaster; 10-03-2007, 09:29 AM.

Comment

If you are being told the truth 1.5 AH for the new 18 volt Lithuim Ion then it is worthless in my opinion. Ridgid had better go back to the drawing board and come up with the 3AH battery or they are going to lose a lot of faithful customers. I hate being mislead and between talking to the Ridgid techs and reading the comments on this site I felt confident I had the right information. I'm glad I put off buying that new drill, batteries and charger, but now what do I do? I like my Ridgid 18volt tools but wanted the advantages of the Lithium Ion battery, however 1.5AH is a joke! Maybe that's why the decided to omit the AH rating on the box and on their site?

Comment

I have no disagreement with what you have stated and you are the only one who knows your requirements and preferences. For me, I get more frustrated than most when expectation and reality are not 'relatively' equal. Having said that, I find the new (B&W) Makita offering to be a very strong one and the fact that their new L-I batts are 1.5(6) AHr does not make them ineffective for many 'homeowner' tasks. The biggest issue is being told one thing and having 'reality' be something much less.

I have entered one additional strong inquiry to Ridgid Tech Support and will accept their response as valid. The Ridgid Lifetme Service is an overriding issue affecting my choices. I would be most pleased if these multiple inquiries disclosed a higher rating for the 18v L-I batts!

Regards,
                            Tom B

Comment

This response was just received from Ridigid Tech Support.

" That is correct, according to the product manager, the 18V Lithium Ion batteries have 1.5 Ah cells. "

I accept this number and will make decisions based on this data.

Regards,
                              Tom B
                              Last edited by doubtingtom; 10-03-2007, 10:29 AM. Reason: typo error

Comment

Originally posted by doubtingtom View Post
                                This response was just received from Ridigid Tech Support.

" That is correct, according to the product manager, the 18V Lithium Ion batteries have 1.5 Ah cells. "

I accept this number and will make decisions based on this data.

Regards,
                                Tom B
                                I was convinced when you mentioned earlier how little they weighed. I compared them to the 3Ah 24 volt battery. They should weigh approximately 30% less...actually a little less difference because the only savings would be the batteries...not the case or electronics.

They weigh half as much.

In fact, they weigh less than my Panasonic 14.4v 3Ah batteries by 2 ounces.

The other things that bother me about the Ridgid "compact" drill is it feels rushed.

It wasn't really designed much lighter than competitors...though it is lighter than Ridgid's own very heavy 18 volt and 24 volt hammerdrills.

Also, the charger only charges the new 18 volt Lithium and possible upcoming smaller Lithiums. Why not the 24 volt Lithiums and more importantly, why not a universal charger that charges the old NiCds. Both Panasonic and Ryobi released chargers with their Lithium tools that are backward compatible with their older non-Lithium batteries.

IMHO, Ryobi has leapfrogged Ridgid with their lithium battery and charger. It is more powerful at 2.4Ah, compatible with a wider range of tools, and the charger is universal...actually an improvement on their older NiCd charger. It is a smarter charger that isn't so gentler on the NiCds.

Comment

Working...
                                X