X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 18v Lithium Tools

Does anyone know if Ridgid will be coming out with 18v lithium tool package? I know there is no mention to this on their website. I also watched the builder's show video and nothing was mentioned. I think the 18v lithium package would be the best compromise between weight and power. I spoke to Makita and the rep told me they have no interest of offering 24v lithium tools in the short term. They said their 18v lithium tools are the perfect mix for their contractors and I would totally agree. I handled a few of the Ridgid 24v XLI tools and they seem to bulky and heavy for everyday use. Yes, the 24v power is great, but pickup a Makita tool and they feel just about perfect. I can't image the new Impact Driver with a big 24V battery. Hopefully, they will be coming out with a 18v lithium line.
    Last edited by brianss; 04-03-2007, 09:16 PM.

Re: Ridgid 18v Lithium Tools

The fact is the Ridgid 18 volt tools are amongst the heaviest in the industry. The 24 volt tools, in comparison, aren't much heavier. Having said that, I agree with you. It would be nice to see Ridgid come out with some lighter tools....18 volt or otherwise.

Comment

I'm confused. One of my sons has the 24 v lithium ion combo kit. I have the 18 volt ni cad kit. His 1/2" hammer drill and battery is lighter than my 18volt hammer drill and battery.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
        I'm confused. One of my sons has the 24 v lithium ion combo kit. I have the 18 volt ni cad kit. His 1/2" hammer drill and battery is lighter than my 18volt hammer drill and battery.
        I noticed the same thing...but the 24 volt kit doesn't have the depth gauge, a lighter handle clamp (because it doesn't need clamp for depth gauge) and it doesn't have any onboard tool storage. Those things make up the difference in weight.

Comment

Just to clarify... I was comparing the Ridgid 24v tools to other lithium based tools, like Makita. The 24v drill is nicely balanced in weight, but compared to the Makita 18v lithium drill, it's night and day. The new 24v Impact Driver might be light, but the size of the 24v battery will make the overall tool size extremely bulky. As a matter of fact, that's probably why Milwaukee came out with a new 18v lithium set.

Comment

Ridgid is coming out with a 18v l-ion compact drill later this summer, it is said to be like the 18v litium Makita.

Comment

Originally posted by brianss View Post
              Does anyone know if Ridgid will be coming out with 18v lithium tool package? I know there is no mention to this on their website. I also watched the builder's show video and nothing was mentioned. I think the 18v lithium package would be the best compromise between weight and power. I spoke to Makita and the rep told me they have no interest of offering 24v lithium tools in the short term. They said their 18v lithium tools are the perfect mix for their contractors and I would totally agree. I handled a few of the Ridgid 24v XLI tools and they seem to bulky and heavy for everyday use. Yes, the 24v power is great, but pickup a Makita tool and they feel just about perfect. I can't image the new Impact Driver with a big 24V battery. Hopefully, they will be coming out with a 18v lithium line.
              I have a 24v set and yes I agree the 24v drill is bulky for everyday use, but for everything else (i.e. circ saw and rep saw) I wouldn't want anything else. I would love the see a 18v xli drill for wood working and small projects that I don't need enough power to rip my arm off.

As for the impact driver I don't think the 24v battery is going to be that bad other than the bulk. If you remove the battery for the XLI drill you will see that the most of the weight is in the drill body itself. The battery weighs very little. However a 18v xli pack would be more than enough power for an impact driver.

Also on my Maxselect jigsaw boxs it shows a 18v xli battery but on the impact driver site it only gives the specs for using 24v xli and 18v nicad. Who knows? I just want a impact driver for my 24v set.

Comment

I just love my 24 volt ridgid kit and I just hope they keep making it because I like the power it has and if I want something lighter than I'll buy a lighter drill like the lxt makita. I've had battery drills since the 7.2 volt Makita and this ridgid 24v kit is the first to really impress me with power and run time, I was so impressed that I gave my DeWalt 18volt XRP kit to my wife to use around the house. I love the lithium Ion batteries in my 24 volt kit, they are light and powerfull and I can use them non stop under heavy load until they are dead and put them right on charge! Try doing that with a Nicad! I was the first one at work to buy the Ridgid 24volt kit, every one else had dewalt 18v xrp. I put my ridgid 24 volt up against their 18volt dewalt drill and my ridgid was more powerfull and drilled more than twice as many holes than the dewalt. I also took my 24 volt ridgid drill apart and compared it to the XRP dewalt and the ridgid has a lot beefier gear train than the dewalt and the ridgid motor has ball bearings on both ends where as the dewalt only has one on the gear side of the motor. After showing this guys at work, they have bought ridgid 24 volt to replace their dewalts and they still thank me when they see me for opening their eyes to the Ridgid experience.
                Sorry to rant and rave, it just seems like every time something really good comes out for a good price they discontinue making it.

Comment

I don't think that the 24v is discontinued. I live within 30 minutes of 3 home depots in atlanta. One of them already has the new 3pc 24v set. All there are now stocking the battery and charger kits. The biggest problem is that the home depot employs get no information from the tool rep. I think the 24v will be here for a while. Just be glad you got a great deal on a 4pc set. I just wish Ridgid wasn't run by Home Depot. But I am thankful that Ridgid brought affordable really well built tools to the market.

Comment

Thanks for the info Steve. So far I have not had to charge mine as soon as they were dead because of how long they last but nice to know they will take a charge without waiting for them to cool down. Bearings on both side helps to make those longer run times & be more durable.
                    I too have seen the 3 combo kit & battery charger kits in FL.
                    So far I bought all the Max tools except the caulk gun. I don't think I will ever do that much caulking to justify that one. I will buy another drill if it was lighter had tool storage & LED light.

Comment

On each box of the MaxSelect tolls I have is listed three batteries, the 24V LI, the 18V NiCad and the 18V LI. This makes me assume they are planning to introduce a 18V LI sometime in the future. If the MaxSelect impact tool is any example they will probably tease us into a fever before they get it out. I have never asked anyone at Ridgid about this. In fact as soon as I finish this post I'm going to send them an email

Comment

At first, I thought it would be really cool to be able to switch out the 24v battery and use the 18v lithium battery for some of the smaller tools, like the impact driver. But another user brought up a good point, by the time you spend another $200+ for the 18v battery kit, you could simply buy a Makita drill/driver/hammer and impact driver kit. I like the 24v tools, but the battery is just to large for some tools, like the impact driver.

Comment

At first, I thought it would be really cool to be able to switch out the 24v battery and use the 18v lithium battery for some of the smaller tools, like the impact driver. But another user brought up a good point, by the time you spend another $200+ for the 18v battery kit, you could simply buy a Makita drill/driver/hammer and impact driver kit. I like the 24v tools, but the battery is just to large for some tools, like the impact driver.
                          I have a dream! In that dream I have charger which will charge both the 24 and 18V Li batteries. In the dream Ridgid will introduce a sweet little MaxSelect drill like the small Makita 18V LI. In the dream Ridgid will offer a nice light MaxSelect Right Angle drill. In my dream I will have the 24V batteries for the circ. and recip saws and the Hammer Drill. In my dream I can have it both ways. Cool!

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                            I have a dream! In that dream I have charger which will charge both the 24 and 18V Li batteries. In the dream Ridgid will introduce a sweet little MaxSelect drill like the small Makita 18V LI. In the dream Ridgid will offer a nice light MaxSelect Right Angle drill. In my dream I will have the 24V batteries for the circ. and recip saws and the Hammer Drill. In my dream I can have it both ways. Cool!

yet it is just that.......... a dream

for now atleast
                            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

The 18v l-ion compact drill is coming, just not soon enough, maybe Fathers day. It will cost about the same as the Makita. Then I can really take advantage of the impact driver, and replace my old 18v craftsman with a nice compact Ridgid.

Comment

Working...
                              X