X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

I just got back from HD. I went in to check if they had the impact driver. When I asked about it, I got the response "There's a Max Select version?" He did look it up. It's in the computer but the store has 0 in stock and 0 on order.

Comment

I called Ridgid again (for the last time) and demanded to speak with a manager. At first, the customer service person told me again, for the 100th time, to go to Home Depot. After I explained again, for the 100th time, HD does not have a clue about this tool, I was put on hold for about 10 minutes. She finally came back and said someone will call me back with an answer. Good news, right. Well maybe, I called at 8am this morning and no one has called me back yet and it's now 6pm. Amazing. I have never been so dissapointed in a company's lack of customer service and product direction. Maybe this is an indication of how this company does business, which would be right in line with the clueless orange aprons at HD.

Comment

what is going on with Ridgid and HD? Its really to bad that customer service has gotten so much worse over the years. Ridgid is nice but not nice enough to deal with crappy customer service. no company is!

Comment

I was in a Home Depot in New Jersey and I saw the sign, price and the sku for the max select impact driver. There was even an spot on the shelf where the price tag is located however, the shelf was empty. I thought, maybe they are just sold out.
          I located an associate and he entered the information into the computer. I waited...then he came back, he said the computer states, not available.

To everyone who is waiting, this is marketing "buzz" and sooner or later we will see the max select impact driver in stores.
          How do I know?
          Its free marketing for the company.
          How did you feel to see the the advertisement and an empty shelf with the price tag. A pefect recipe for marketing buzz.

Also, to my knowledge, there has been a 12, 14.4 and 18 volt impact driver. Ridgid only has to do some modifying on existing equipment.

P.S. Still waiting and we are still buzzing about it. RIDGID loves it!
          http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

I suspect Ridgid is going to win the booby prize, once again, for heaviest impact driver. They will sell these, to people with the 24 volt sets, but they'd do much better if they developed an 18 volt lithium impact driver that didn't weigh more then 3 pounds.

24 volts is more suited to an impact wrench....where weight is more in line with the competition. I bet they'd sell a few of those to mechanics. I'd sure as heck buy one.

As far as impact drivers. I wouldn't buy a heavy 24 volt one...even though I already have the other 24 volt tools. I'm only interested in tools that aren't going to be too heavy at 24 volts, and that could use the power. I'd like to see these tools added to the 24 volt lineup....

grinder

random orbit sander

impact wrench

hedge trimmer

grass trimmer

nailer (that performs as well as DeWalts)

AC/CD vacuum that includes battery charger.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post

As far as impact drivers. I wouldn't buy a heavy 24 volt one...even though I already have the other 24 volt tools. I'm only interested in tools that aren't going to be too heavy at 24 volts, and that could use the power. I'd like to see these tools added to the 24 volt lineup....

grinder

random orbit sander

impact wrench

hedge trimmer

grass trimmer

nailer (that performs as well as DeWalts)

AC/CD vacuum that includes battery charger.

I agree, I have read many posts here by people requesting the tools you have listed as well.
              Possibly have a self propelled lawn mower with 2 batteries for 48 volts. Black and Decker has one running at 24 volts.

The demand is there but no supply.

Comment

Originally posted by onlycordless View Post
                Possibly have a self propelled lawn mower with 2 batteries for 48 volts. Black and Decker has one running at 24 volts.
                A little cordless lawn mower would be the bomb if you lived in a city. When I lived on a 60 foot wide, 1/4 acre lot I used to mow my lawn with an electric corded mower. It worked great and I never had to deal with gas smell and hassle. You quickly develop a strategy for working away from the cord so you don't cut it.

http://www.amazon.com/Yard-Machines1...6914646&sr=1-6

The biggest inhibitor, of selling a cordless mower would be cost. There are a couple pretty nice cordless mowers out but they are real expensive. The B&D one is $400 at Amazon. That is a big step up from the $150 dollar MTD or Yard Machines, gas mowers most people buy.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-C...6914341&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Yard-Machines-...914646&sr=1-21

Comment

Okay - I finally got a call back from Ridgid today. After hundreds of phone calls and emails, here is what they said...

** The MaxSelect Impact Driver R8823 should be available at Home Depot on Father's Day, June 17th. **

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                    A little cordless lawn mower would be the bomb if you lived in a city. When I lived on a 60 foot wide, 1/4 acre lot I used to mow my lawn with an electric corded mower. It worked great and I never had to deal with gas smell and hassle. You quickly develop a strategy for working away from the cord so you don't cut it.

http://www.amazon.com/Yard-Machines1...6914646&sr=1-6

The biggest inhibitor, of selling a cordless mower would be cost. There are a couple pretty nice cordless mowers out but they are real expensive. The B&D one is $400 at Amazon. That is a big step up from the $150 dollar MTD or Yard Machines, gas mowers most people buy.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-C...6914341&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Yard-Machines-...914646&sr=1-21

In a perfect world we would have a 60 volt(Lithium or ultracapitors) 24" cut self propelled lawnmower for $200.00(someday).
                    It would charge in about an hour
                    The lawnmower would charge via cigarrette lighter in a vehicle(no cost to operate)

I would open up my own landscaping business with an electric vehicle that charges through kenectic energy and regenerative braking and all electric lawn equipment.

Its almost all profit.
                    (In a perfect world)
                    Last edited by onlycordless; 04-18-2007, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brianss View Post
                      Okay - I finally got a call back from Ridgid today. After hundreds of phone calls and emails, here is what they said...

** The MaxSelect Impact Driver R8823 should be available at Home Depot on Father's Day, June 17th. **
                      RIDGID does make the best quality tools in my opinion. I hope RIDGID knows what they are doing as many people will have bought competitors products by then.
                      If they are waiting to release the driver until June 17th, it will be a good product. It is good to know that a company still makes a good product, however, the question is how long is the consumer willing to wait? And will the 'buzz' be gone by then?

Comment

As I said in an earlier post, if I was a contractor, I would have bought another tool brand without question. This amount of effort and lack of tool availability is not worth it, at any cost. I feel good that I was able to get a great deal on the 24v set, plus the lifetime warranty, and since I don't use these tools for a living, I'm okay with it, for now. But the warranty is also questionable because most of the service centers I talked to are taking months to get the tools and batteries replaced and/or repaired. We will just have to see how this shakes out.

Comment

June 17th? I remember when Ridgid said march and then it was april and now June 17th. I love my 24v set and I think ridgid tools are great but I'm not going to rely on them for my everyday tools. With cordless tools today there are so many additional tools and I want a set that I know I can get what I need when I needed it. I am a contractor and a impact driver is something I can live without but it would make my life easier. I have passed up buying other brand impact drivers because I don't like having 3 or 4 different batteries for everything. How hard is it to make a impact driver? I think I'm doing to start a Makita 18v lithium tool collection. I can go to anyone of a dozen sites and buy whatever I want. Or go to HD. Ridgid isn't even selling replacement batteries for the 24v. I know the batteries are garanteed for life but sometimes you lose one. The tools are reliable but the product line just isn't. I'll still buy Ridgid tools when they are availible but I'm not waiting for new products.

Comment

Ok, I am confused. Probrand stated on this forum on 4/05/07, the impact driver is hitting stores now.

Comment

I'm not sure who Probrand is. I spoke to the Ridgid Customer Support Manager yesterday, who told me the 17th. But like others have pointed out, this is just another date they threw out. Apperently, they have given out a number of dates and they keep pushing it out, once again. I'm not holding my breath this time. If I see a good deal come through with Makita, I will be returning my 24v set ASAP. When Amazon runs a good sale, the Makita 18v lithium set is only a $100 more as compared to the Ridgid set. And all of the Makita tools are now available and you get great customer service.

Comment

I'm not sure who Probrand is. I spoke to the Ridgid Customer Support Manager yesterday, who told me the 17th. But like others have pointed out, this is just another date they threw out. Apperently, they have given out a number of dates and they keep pushing it out, once again. I'm not holding my breath this time. If I see a good deal come through with Makita, I will be returning my 24v set ASAP. When Amazon runs a good sale, the Makita 18v lithium set is only a $100 more as compared to the Ridgid set. And all of the Makita tools are now available and you get great customer service.
                                You might want to do some reasearch before making that decision.

There was a posting here about Makita lithium tools, and several other reviews that place them considerably below other brands. The Makita impact driver gets great reviews. The drill gets mixed reviews...biggest issue is it's lack of power compared to the competition. The reciprocating saw fairs much worse...low power and low battery life. I've not heard good stuff about the circular saw either.

On the other hand, I've heard pretty good reviews of the Milwaukee lithium tools (though some issues with overheating of the drill.)

Likewise, DeWalt gets great reviews but they haven't got their 18 volt lithium line out yet (supposedly soon...possibly batteries compatible with existing tools.)

Hitachi gets good reviews but I steered clear of them when I read about drills breaking when dropped. New lithium drill doesn't have notches around grip so they may be stronger.

Woops...edit. Found this not so glowing review of Hitachi reciprocating saw at Amazon.

"I bought this kit for electrical work. The sawzall won't cut through 3/4 inch conduit without binding and stopping the motor. When I put the same blade in an old DeWalt sawzall, it cuts through the pipe like it was butter. Save your money and get a Milwaukee or a DeWalt combo kit instead."

One thing I can say about the 24 volt Ridgid reciprocating saw is that it has power. I bound up a blade pretty bad when cutting down a tree and it kept pumping.
                                Last edited by Disaster; 04-19-2007, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X