Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

Yes, I would tend to agree with your comments. I have read similar reviews regarding the Makita lithium tools. I love their light weight, but I also need some power when using certain tools, like the recip saw. For now, I plan to hold on to my 24v set, until I finialize my decision.

Comment

Forget waiting for the impact driver, when are the batteries going to become available? Any dates on that yet? That was the single thing to scare me off from getting a 24v combo and going for Makita set instead. I make it a point to always at least get a third and fourth battery for any set I buy. Given that almost always two cordless tools are used frequently at the same job that means I'd be stuck with no third spare battery charging. Swapping one battery continuosly on several tools is also quite annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
        You might want to do some reasearch before making that decision.

There was a posting here about Makita lithium tools, and several other reviews that place them considerably below other brands. The Makita impact driver gets great reviews. The drill gets mixed reviews...biggest issue is it's lack of power compared to the competition. The reciprocating saw fairs much worse...low power and low battery life. I've not heard good stuff about the circular saw either.

On the other hand, I've heard pretty good reviews of the Milwaukee lithium tools (though some issues with overheating of the drill.)

Likewise, DeWalt gets great reviews but they haven't got their 18 volt lithium line out yet (supposedly soon...possibly batteries compatible with existing tools.)
        The Makita circular saw is actually rather decent. Not particularly powerful but then again most 18v saws aren't. Its light and well balanced and the run time is very respectable. One plus to the Makita line is an extensive tool lineup. Unfortunately a lot are not yet available outside of Europe and Japan like the Jigsaw, impact wrench, and compact rotary hammer.

Dewalt announced the 18v lithium will be fully compatible with the existing line. I doubt they will reintroduce a new 18v line as they have started to heavily promote the current 18v line again recently, probably in preparation for the new battery releases. They also have the most extensive 18v lineup so it would be a waste to redesign every single one. I think they make pretty much every single tool in their lineup in 18v variety. Even more obscure stuff like plate joiners soon.
        Last edited by Velosapien; 04-19-2007, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
          Forget waiting for the impact driver, when are the batteries going to become available? Any dates on that yet? That was the single thing to scare me off from getting a 24v combo and going for Makita set instead. I make it a point to always at least get a third and fourth battery for any set I buy. Given that almost always two cordless tools are used frequently at the same job that means I'd be stuck with no third spare battery charging. Swapping one battery continuosly on several tools is also quite annoying.

There is a "starter kit" available for the 24xli line. It includes one battery and a charger. $199
          However, if you can find the 24volt drill kit, it comes with the drill, 2 batteries and a charger for $199
          http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

Who wants to pay $200 dollars just for one battery and a charge you don't need?

Like I stated earlier I am about to invest in some Makita LXT. I am probably giong to buy the impact and drill combo. But I am still glad I got my 24v set. There is no comparison between 24v and 18v power when you are using the hammer drill (for hammer drilling), circ saw or rep saw. I just don't want to have to depend on my 24v set because you never know if you can get anything for it. I am looking foward to some light weight tools.

IF you are looking for makita tools tylertools.com has some good deals on them and reconditioned tools.

Comment

Hello, I'm also waiting for the 24 volt impact driver, and I hope that it runs cooler than the 14.4 volt ones that me and my buddies at work own. we were assembling some 1/2npt. brass compression adapters into brass reducing bushings and we assembled about 200 of them. I was using the hi cap. 14.4 volt battery. It would take about 4 seconds of impacting to get the torque that I needed and the impact driver never stalled during the tighting process but I noticed after about 30 fittings that the motor was getting really hot but I figured it's fan cooled and I'm not overloading it so it should maintain a safe temprature ,so after about 5 more fittings I started to see and smell smoke coming from the vent holes of the motor. So I switched to the other ridgid 14.4 volt impact driver that I had and let that one cool ( both are pretty new, maybe 4 charges run through them) and after about 35 fittings it started smoking to. I find this unacceptible, my old trusty 18 volt Ryobi did the last 140 of the fittings on 3 batteries and did not overheat. I hope the ridgid 24 volt impact driver has better cooling and a bigger motor and can see substained use without over heating especially with the 24 volt battery having twice the watt hour capacity as the hi cap. 14.4 volt ni-cads, if not their going to be a lot of warrenty claims with burnt up motors. After all, the 24 volt line is represented as professional tools. By the way I have the 24 volt set and I just love the power of the tools and have not had any problems with overheating of any of them. And I must say that 24 volt sawzall is a beast, if that blade hangs up, you've got blurred vision until you release the trigger . I have run that saw for a solid hour and went through 4 batteries cutting several sticks of 11/4 in electrical conduit into 11/2 in pieces and the saw got warm but never got hot . I would love to see a 41/2 in angle grinder in the max select line .

Comment

One can assume that there is a problem with the impact driver or they would be selling them now. No one waits months to release something knowing there is a demand. I figure there is a copyright infringement or too many problems. That would also answer why you can't get a straight answer from Ridgid. I'm getting a little fed up myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Phone Guy View Post
                  One can assume that there is a problem with the impact driver or they would be selling them now. No one waits months to release something knowing there is a demand. I figure there is a copyright infringement or too many problems. That would also answer why you can't get a straight answer from Ridgid. I'm getting a little fed up myself.
                  They might be running into issues on how the extra voltage and power is effecting the ram/impact assembly. They might have hoped to just the motor on the older 18 volt but found they needed to do more extensive design changes. When Ryobi introduced their 18 volt impact it looked exactly like their 14.4 volt model...save the battery. The Craftsman C3 19.2 volt looks exactly the same as the Ryobi 18 volt model.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have some in longer term testing...possibly even with some contractors somewhere.

I don't mind waiting if it means they will get it right the first time.
                  Last edited by Disaster; 04-26-2007, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brianss View Post
                    Okay - I finally got a call back from Ridgid today. After hundreds of phone calls and emails, here is what they said...

** The MaxSelect Impact Driver R8823 should be available at Home Depot on Father's Day, June 17th. **
                    I see you got your response after mine, and that disapoints me, as they told me that it would arive in stores by the end of this month. And our replys were only a week apart. Here is the response I got.

RIDGID Response: (04/12/2007 07:32)

Mark:

The 1/4" drive, Max-Select impact driver is not available yet, it is due to hit Home Depot store shelves around the end of this month. Your local stores special services desk should be able to tell you whether thay have a stocking order placed for it or not.

Best regards,

Tom C.
                    Consumer Response
                    One World Technologies, Inc.
                    Blue Skies,
                    Wags

Comment

I think the keep word in his response "due to hit Home Depot store shelves around the end of this month" is the word "around". Perhaps "around" means anytime this coming year. I'm sure some Product Manager within Ridgid knows, but everyone else is just clueless. I don't even bother asking anymore at THD. I just think Customer Service at both Ridgid and THD has really declined over the years. It's a shame that we actually have to give these places our business, but until there is more competition, that's the way it goes.

Comment

All,

Some interesting posts here. Great feedback both positive and negative.

Sorry for any confusion. The MaxSelect impact driver is in some stores now. At The Home Depot, the SKU is 593085. The site for the product is http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R8823-Du...iver/index.htm

I'll be curious to hear what people think of the tool.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
                          All,

Some interesting posts here. Great feedback both positive and negative.

Sorry for any confusion. The MaxSelect impact driver is in some stores now. At The Home Depot, the SKU is 593085. The site for the product is http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R8823-Du...iver/index.htm

I'll be curious to hear what people think of the tool.
                          Any clue which stores? Still nothing shown on the Home Depot website whether you search for 593085, R8823 or impact driver.

P.S. Links on that webpage, for manual and parts list, are for 12 volt right angle impact...the only one sold on the HD website.

Last edited by Disaster; 04-30-2007, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I got a call from one the HD's in town saying that they have them ordered and it's scheduled for delivery to the store on May 8th. Hopefully next Tuesday I'll have one in my hands.

Comment

It would be nice if Ridgid would throw out some coupons or have a good sale for all of the painful postings we had to make on this site for this tool. Also, I never did hear of any other tools that will be offered on the MaxSelect line. God knows, that would take a lifetime for them to release that information.

Comment

Originally posted by brianss View Post
                                It would be nice if Ridgid would throw out some coupons or have a good sale for all of the painful postings we had to make on this site for this tool. Also, I never did hear of any other tools that will be offered on the MaxSelect line. God knows, that would take a lifetime for them to release that information.
                                MaxSelect line:http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Dual-Vol...ools/index.htm
                                Called my HD in Auburn,NY and they told me scheduled delivery for MaxSelect Impact Driver is Friday, which if true I will have mine that day. It is also the day Mr. Ridgid will be in the store and I will hit him up for some kind of a deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X