Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

    Originally posted by brianss View Post
    It would be nice if Ridgid would throw out some coupons or have a good sale for all of the painful postings we had to make on this site for this tool. Also, I never did hear of any other tools that will be offered on the MaxSelect line. God knows, that would take a lifetime for them to release that information.
    Patience will be rewarded. In a year, after HD hides these things on the shelf and because of that, sells about 20 of them, they will deeply discount them. That is the time to buy.

    Home Depot and Ridgid are their own worst enemies.
    Last edited by Disaster; 05-01-2007, 09:00 PM.

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

      I just checked with my HD store, and they now have 4 on order due to arrive in the store May 8th. I paid for one up front, so I will get one when they come in. I would still like to know how long it is. I doubt it will be as short as the Makita at 5 3/4", but by the pictures, it doesn't look like it will be much longer.

      It would be nice if they had more detailed specs on the Ridgid site. The correct manual would be nice also.
      Blue Skies,
      Wags

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

        If you happen to get the Impact Driver soon, it would great if you can post some pictures of the tool using the 24v battery. My only concern, at this point, will be the size of 24v battery. Impact Drivers are usually small as compared to a drill, but that 24v battery is pretty large. Hopefully, it won't impact the usability of the tool. Also, I'm not sure why they included a light on the tool. I have seen this on the Makita line, but it seems strange. It almost looks like they are trying to mimic another vendor.

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

          Originally posted by brianss View Post
          Also, I'm not sure why they included a light on the tool. I have seen this on the Makita line, but it seems strange. It almost looks like they are trying to mimic another vendor.
          I wouldn't call it mimicking any brand, a lot of small tools have this feature, if the Ridgid didn't have it, that would be one vote against it for me. I am hoping this driver is small enough to get in to some tight areas, and these are the areas that the light is needed. A few weeks ago I was using my Bosch 10.8V lithium driver to drive several screws in a very tight area, I just got the Bosch, and wasn't used to it yet, and almost went for a flashlight to get some light in there, then I remembered it has a light. A light press on the trigger, and the area was lit, I could see where to put the screw. Life was good.

          I see they have the correct manual on the web site now. I guess they do pay attention to what we post here. Now if they would just list the length of the driver.


          Blue Skies,
          Wags
          Last edited by Skydivewags; 05-03-2007, 01:25 AM.
          Blue Skies,
          Wags

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

            Makita makes excellent cordless tools escpially impact drivers. Makita is a good company to emulate to make improvements to tools.
            You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

              Originally posted by Skydivewags View Post
              I wouldn't call it mimicking any brand, a lot of small tools have this feature, if the Ridgid didn't have it, that would be one vote against it for me.

              Blue Skies,
              Wags
              Agreed. A tool light is incredibly helpful. I'd like to see them on more tools. For example, sometimes when I'm cutting with a sabresaw the shadow of the tool can make it difficult to see the cutting line. A light, right at the blade, would help.

              Another thing that I'd like to see, on more tools, is air directed at the blade/drill. You see this on some saws...specifically tabletop jigsaws, but it would be helpful in other tools...like drills. It'd be nice to have an option, on a drill to blow air on the drillbit to keep it the surface clean and help cool the bit. It would be nice to see air directed at a circular saw blade to keep it's path unobscured by sawdust.

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

                Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                Another thing that I'd like to see, on more tools, is air directed at the blade/drill. You see this on some saws...specifically tabletop jigsaws, but it would be helpful in other tools...like drills. It'd be nice to have an option, on a drill to blow air on the drillbit to keep it the surface clean and help cool the bit. It would be nice to see air directed at a circular saw blade to keep it's path unobscured by sawdust.
                That would be cool, I would have loved to have that on my Roto Zip today. The drywall dust piles up in a hurry. But then again, I may have had a dust cloud I couldn't have seen through.
                Blue Skies,
                Wags

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

                  I got mine this morning. Pretty cool. Its a little heavier than i would like it to be. But it seems to have plenty of power. In the picture it is sitting on a 8x8 tile.
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

                    Thanks for the picture, I still haven't found the dementions of the driver. What is the length from the tip of the chuck, to the back of the driver? I am guessing by the photo it's about 7 1/2". If it's that long, that kind of sucks, as it will be one of the bigest impact drivers on the market.

                    As far as the weight thing goes, maybe Ridgid will come out with a compact battery like Makita. That would be nice.
                    Blue Skies,
                    Wags

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

                      I think the overall length is probably about 6-6 1/2". It is not much longer than the battery. It was good to see that they still have the 18v xli battery on the box. A small battery will help but the tool itself weighs as much as the makita tool and battery. This is the perfect tool for building a deck but if your building cabinets then you probably want to look at Makita. My next purchase is still the makita compact drill.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

                        Originally posted by humbletile View Post
                        I think the overall length is probably about 6-6 1/2". It is not much longer than the battery. It was good to see that they still have the 18v xli battery on the box. A small battery will help but the tool itself weighs as much as the makita tool and battery. This is the perfect tool for building a deck but if your building cabinets then you probably want to look at Makita. My next purchase is still the makita compact drill.
                        Do you have a scale where you can weigh it? I'm curious the actual weight. The 18 volt NiCd weighs about a half ounce more than the 24 volt Lithium battery.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

                          humbletile - Thanks for the picture. If you can provide any feedback after using the tool, that would be great. I'm holding on to my receipt for my 24v kit. I figure that I still have 90 days to decide if this is the kit for me. Man, that battery looks gigantic on the impact driver. I love the 24v power, but you really need a smaller battery for those tight places.

                          Do you think that Ridgid will eventually release an 18v lithium battery? I haven't heard anything yet. That would be pretty cool to be able to interchange the batteries on the 24v tools. Of course, that would assume the 18v batteries don't cost a fortune.
                          Last edited by brianss; 05-04-2007, 06:58 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

                            Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                            Do you have a scale where you can weigh it? I'm curious the actual weight. The 18 volt NiCd weighs about a half ounce more than the 24 volt Lithium battery.
                            I put it on my bathroom scale with the battery and it came right in at 5lbs. Which is almost 2lbs more than the full size makita lxt. I used it to put some 1 3/4" subfloor screws in, which was no problem. When I got home the biggest thing I had was some 3 1/2" galv deck screws which went in like there was nothing to it. I had put them in with my hammer drill before, with this thing it was much easier. This is my first impact driver so I can't really compare it to others. The light is nice and bright. I will post more as I get a chance to use it more. My Dad is going to be helping his neighbor put up a deck this weekend and he is going to barrow it. I will let ya'll know what he finds out. But right now I am just tired of everything in the Ridgid line being so heavy. I have to take outlets on and off a lot and 5lbs really starts to suck after a while. I might just have to get a little bosch drill driver. I look foward to hear what everyone has to say about the new driver as they get them. I still can't believe they are here.

                            Brianss- I think the fact that they left the 18v lion battery on the new impact box is a good sign. If they had killed that plan surely with all the time they had before they released it they would have changed it. But that would be Ridgid not too. Who knows. But just think one battery and a charger for the 24v cost two hundred dollars. And who know if the same charge will work with both if they ever come out. Another $200 investment.
                            Last edited by humbletile; 05-04-2007, 07:11 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Re: Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

                              Originally posted by humbletile View Post
                              I have to take outlets on and off a lot and 5lbs really starts to suck after a while. I might just have to get a little bosch drill driver.
                              Here is a big vote for the Bosch PS 20. I picked one up recently and absolutely love it. It comes with two batteries and the charger, which is nice. The reality is 80 percent plus of what I use a driver for is more than adequately handled by the PS 20. Just about my favorite tool.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Re: Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

                                Yes, I'm pretty tempted to take back my 24v kit and just get a good cordless drill/driver/hammer and impact driver. I can then just purchase the corded tools, like the recip, circular, etc, as I need them.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X