Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Still Waiting For 24volt Impact Driver

Originally posted by NavyBuck View Post
    Here is a big vote for the Bosch PS 20. I picked one up recently and absolutely love it. It comes with two batteries and the charger, which is nice. The reality is 80 percent plus of what I use a driver for is more than adequately handled by the PS 20. Just about my favorite tool.
    The Bosch is OK, for tiny screw chasing (like with cabinets) but it is considerably underpowered when it comes to anything larger. The Bosch impact (PS-40??) should be better. Also, I don't care for drilling with 1/4" driver bits. There is limited selection, the quality of the bits is usually so-so, and they are costly. I'd like a small drill and a small impact. Panasonic made a drill that had an impact mode which was neat....but expensive and not as light as the little Bosch.

Comment

Originally posted by brianss View Post
      Yes, I'm pretty tempted to take back my 24v kit and just get a good cordless drill/driver/hammer and impact driver. I can then just purchase the corded tools, like the recip, circular, etc, as I need them.
      I think the kit is a good enough deal to own it, AND a smaller drill/impact driver set. You need the power with the reciprocating saw and circular saw and it is nice to have a beast of a drill when you need it. Couple that with a lightweight drill and impact set, like the Makita, Panasonic or new Hitachi, and you have it all covered.

Comment

Originally posted by brianss View Post
        humbletile - Thanks for the picture. If you can provide any feedback after using the tool, that would be great. I'm holding on to my receipt for my 24v kit. I figure that I still have 90 days to decide if this is the kit for me. Man, that battery looks gigantic on the impact driver. I love the 24v power, but you really need a smaller battery for those tight places.

Do you think that Ridgid will eventually release an 18v lithium battery? I haven't heard anything yet. That would be pretty cool to be able to interchange the batteries on the 24v tools. Of course, that would assume the 18v batteries don't cost a fortune.
        I drove a few three inch coated deck screws which it blew in with no effort. Tried a couple of 1/2" lag bolts which made it huff a little more but still ran them in. Yeah, it looks a little big but the balance is very nice so it didn't feel clumsy. Of course I haven't done any real work with it yet, so stay tuned.
        Speaking of work, I finally put a little under the shoe of the MaxSelect jig saw I bought a month ago. Nothing complicated, just cutting an arc in several 1" boards. Good power, tracked well, little tit on front of plastic guide was nice for tracking, wish it had a trigger lock but trigger being large enough to hold with two fingers helped. I had posted a problem earlier that I couldn't get the shoe level. I found that if I grab the front of the shoe and wiggle it as I shove it into the detent it will align and then I can close the locking lever and the blade is verticle.

Comment

Originally posted by humbletile View Post
          I think the overall length is probably about 6-6 1/2". It is not much longer than the battery.

Can you measure it please? In your picture, it's almost as long as your 8" tile. I am courious about the length from the tip of the chuck to the back of the tool. Thanks.
          Blue Skies,
          Wags

Comment

those are 6" tiles
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
              those are 6" tiles
              I just redid my math using a known length, the battery, and their is no way those are 8" tiles. I came up with 6 1/2" for the tiles, and 6 1/8" for the length of the driver. That is more like it.

Their will be some distortion since he probably had his Blackberry very close when taking the picture, and it has a wide angle lense, this would make the tiles look a little smaller then they are, but still they can not be 8".

Have I beat this up or what? Could we get a measurement please?!?!?
              Blue Skies,
              Wags

Comment

wow that was indepth

but i was just tring to make a funny............. glad i didnt say that it was a 4" tile
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

My anal-retentive side is showing through, and my impatience. I want my impact driver!!!
                  Blue Skies,
                  Wags

Comment

All i can say is you don't realize how much the optical allusion, of the camera and the shadow, effects how big it looks. Just trust me the impact has almost a inch on both sides when sitting on the tile. I'm sorry but I am in pensacola now and can't measure it for you. And it is cinqo de mayo!!! Anyways hope the lack of exact information does not cause you too much frustration Skydivewags. But let's be honest if I told you it was 8" long you are still going to go buy it. We have been waiting too long for this thing. I still plan on buying a Makita but I had to have the ridgid too. I think I had to own it just to believe it was really there.

Comment

OK,OK,OK already....Lets go to the tape. 6 7/8 from tip of chuck to back of motor housing. 10 1/2 from bottom of battery to top front of motor housing.
                      Small compared to hammer/drill. Kinda makes me wish for a switch to lock shaft and make a light drill and drive without all the rat-tat-tat. Never happy

Comment

Thanks roadrashray, now I can quit beating this to death.

It's a bit bigger then I would like, but it is a brute, and will get the tough jobs done. I just might get the 12v Ridgid right angle impact for the tight spaces. These two will complement each other well.

There is no doubt that the Makita is the best all around impact on the market.
                        Blue Skies,
                        Wags

Comment

Originally posted by Skydivewags View Post
                          There is no doubt that the Makita is the best all around impact on the market.
                          I wouldn't go that far. I prefer the Panasonic which is nearly as small and light but includes variable impact force. I've used the Panasonic for several jobs now and I've found the variable impact force to be even more useful than I thought it would be when I first bought it. It really helps control how quickly you get "in trouble"...making the tool more controllable...easier to use.

Comment

I have heard good things about the Panasonic's. A local dealer here says the people from the Hutterite colonys buy only Panasonic. They say they last for ever.
                            Blue Skies,
                            Wags

Comment

just saw one on ebay for 149 and 30 shipping. little steep. they are 119 in stores that have them. called my home depot today and they said that they would order one for me

Comment

Originally posted by staab29 View Post
                                just saw one on ebay for 149 and 30 shipping. little steep. they are 119 in stores that have them. called my home depot today and they said that they would order one for me
                                Funny, that is typical with the new Ryobi tools too. People looking to make a quick buck grab them up when they first come out and sell them on Ebay. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't HD employees taking advantage of the situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X