X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade for cutting MDF on TS3650?

I am getting mixed reviews from other newbie woodworkers (such as myself) around my office so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

One of my first projects to be built with my new TS3650 will be some simple garage cabinets made from MDF. I plan to purchase a WWII blade in the very near future. Should I just use the blade that comes with the TS3650 to cut the MDF or should I go ahead and get the WWII installed and use it? Some people tell me that MDF is hard on blades, so use the stock Ridgid blade for MDF and save the WWII blade. Others say there's nothing to MDF, it machines easily, so go ahead and put a WWII blade on the TS3650 and use it for MDF and whatever else.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks in advance!
    -O&B

Re: Blade for cutting MDF on TS3650?

MDF IS tough on blades, but it's not hard to cut. It doesn't sound like the project requires critical cuts that would merit exposing a WWII to the abrasion of MDF, so I'd either use the stock blade or buy an inexpensive disposable 7-1/4" circ saw blade.

If you think you'll be using alot of MDF in the future, it might be worth investing in a specific MDF blade with a durable triple chip grind (TCG), but IMO you'd be better off focusing on improving your primary blade to something like the WWII.
    Last edited by hewood; 04-05-2007, 05:25 PM.

Comment

MDF is not as hard on blades as particle board. PB has ground up nails, buckshot and who knows what else. MDF is fine saw dust and glue.

I don't know what comes on the Ridgid TS but if it's not a carbide blade, i'd spend 30 bucks and get one. A stamped steel general purpose blade is fine for cutting plywood for a roofing job, but not for much else. If you are planning on painting the cabinets, you'll spend HOURS trying to sand out the kerf marks from a steel blade. A good 60 tooth TC blade will leave it almost smooth. Save the cheap blade for cutting up your junk.

Mark
      Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I'll dedicate a blade to use for MDF and save the WWII.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
          MDF is not as hard on blades as particle board. PB has ground up nails, buckshot and who knows what else...
          Mark -

Not sure if you saw my posts about using router bits on plywood (my posts start here). But since you mentioned buck shot in particle board, do you know what all is in plywood? I'm talking about the hardwood plywood for cabinets.

- djb
          sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

LOL, i'm sure there is all kinds of crap in plywood too. Nails, buckshot, staples, who knows.
            I just bought 200 bd ft of oak for a kitchen and cracked up at the amount of buckshot holes in it! the guy i'm building the kitchen for is actually a gun freak so i'm thinking of cutting out some of the "holey" boards and giving them to him as a joke.
            I don't use a router on plywood, just the solid wood for door details so my router bits last a LONG time.
            I did do about 200 pattern cuts on OSB, man that stuff is tough on carbide! I was using a single flute 1/2" diameter "V" point plunge bit and killed it off fairly quick. Glad they had another in stock.

A few years ago, I was trying something new with running my Melamine drawer pieces through a 1/4" router bit to clean off about 1/32" of the chipped edge. Didn't take long at all to kill that bit. The particle board center cut fine, but the Melamine surfaces actually began cutting hair line notches in the cutter. That idea didn't last too long! Just gave up and bought a better saw blade! LOL

Mark
            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Working...
            X