Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about nailers

Hello-

I've been considering buying an air nailer, but something puzzles me. Why do angled nailers always use 15ga nails, while straight nailers use 16ga? I'd think it'd be the other way around if anything. Also, why do straight nailers even exist? Aren't angled ones better since they allow you to reach more places?

Thanks.

-TM

Re: Questions about nailers

I find that straight nailers are easier to align so that the nail is driven straight, like when building a carcase or drawer. Angled nailers are better for tight spaces like crown molding.
    Last edited by franklin pug; 04-08-2007, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Paslode and Dewalt have angled 16 gauge nailers I believe

Comment

I think the reason that 16 gauge nailers are straight is because they're smaller overall "than" (right Newman ) the 15 gauge, no need to be angled. The 15 gauge is angled because like you've said it fits cramped spaces easier.

Bostitch makes a really nice 15 gauge angled gun with a magnesium housing to save weight. Also has a 7 year warranty for non-pro use.

Ridgid has a nice 15 gauge angled gun too. Of course the Ridgid tools carry the LLSA in addition to a 3 year warranty.

It really depends on what you intend to use the gun for?
        The 15 gauge guns will take 1" to 2.5" "nails"
        The 16 gauge guns will take anywhere from .75" to 2.5" "brad" type nails.
        The 18 gauge guns will take true brads from about .5" to 2"
        The 23 gauge guns shoot headless pins from about .5" to around 1.25"
        Cheers! - Jim
        -------------
        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Paslode and Dewalt both make 16GA angled nailers - I have a few.

It all depends on what you're trying to fasten. Buy a 15GA finish nailer and an 18GA brad nailer, and that should cover 95% of your work. Add an 18GA stapler and you are set. A pin nailer is nice if you work with lots of fine stain grade trim.

Keep in mind that all the 15GA nailers use "DA" style nails where as Bostitch 15GA nailers use "FN" style.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
            Buy a 15GA finish nailer and an 18GA brad nailer, and that should cover 95% of your work. Add an 18GA stapler and you are set. A pin nailer is nice if you work with lots of fine stain grade trim.

I totally agree with buying the 15/18 pair. I often find the 16 gauge too big for finer mouldings and a little undersized for door trimmers and prehung doors.

However if I could only own one, I'd have to compromise and buy the 16.

Comment

If you're a weekend warrior, then I'd suggest the ridgid r213bna 18ga nailer. It offers a wide range of brads you can use. typically the 18ga nailer goes to 1 1/4" the ridgid goes from 5/8" to 2 1/8". What's also nice is the r213bna is oilless!

Then, I'd say get the ridgid r250sna 16ga finish nailer. You then have sizes from 3/8" up to 2 1/2"

The 18ga nailer should be fine for almost all projects as they help hold stuff while glue sets etc.

The 16ga nailer can do crown molding and larger projects etc.

you can even locate galvanized nails and then you can even do outside stuff like reattach that fence picket.

The next air tool would have to be a stapler..from upholstery to shelf backs this can be very handy! Again you can get staples from 1/4" to 1" or even longer..The Ridgid stapler r150fsa does 3/8" to 1 1/2".

With the current Ridgid rebate sale you can't beat the quality and prices.

If you do small picture frames etc. then you should look at a 23ga pin nailer.
              Ridgid does not offer one.

The big boy nailers like a roofing nailer, or the framing nailer are not really critical for a weekend warrior unless you do build really big stuff! I would suggest a round head nailer ..not the clipped head.

As far as convenience goes..the angle type gun VS the straight gun is often a user's preference. It also does play a role if you do a lot of tight corner work.
              When Norman on the New Yankee Workshop does stuff in the shop he typically goes with straight nailers. I don't recall seeing him use an angle type nailer.

Another parameter is weight. The larger nailers do weigh more and can wear you out unless you use them a lot.

Since the choice is a bit subjective, perhaps you should rent both types and spend a weekend nailing stuff. Then you can make an informed decision based upon your needs.

My vote is: the 18ga brad nailer, the straight 16ga finish nailer, and a stapler. With all three you can tackle almost any nailing challenge.

Be safe, and have fun.

Cactus Man
              Last edited by cactusman; 04-07-2007, 10:30 PM.

Comment

What are the differences between clipped and round head nails? What makes one better than the other?

Comment

Originally posted by tbascom View Post
                  What are the differences between clipped and round head nails? What makes one better than the other?
                  http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...hlight=clipped

Comment

tbascom

Please take a look at this. I think it will be helpful to you.
                    http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?e=281&p=840226

Comment

what do you guys think of the dewalt cordless nailer?

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=8985

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
                        Franklin I watched the video... fairly impressive

Loved the speed, that has been the bane of electrics in the past. This will shoot 4 - 5 nails per sec.
                        I8 volt XRP should last a while, nice to have 1 hour charger
                        Holds up to 110 16 gauge nails
                        Built in LED light
                        Bump or sequential firing mode
                        Nice depth setting
                        Nice case (I love nice cases)

Dislikes:
                        Weight, this puppy is 8.5 lbs.
                        Size, it's a little big for a 16 gauge nailer - 12.75" high, 12.5" long and 4.18" wide
                        Only comes with one battery

Maybe one day soon they'll incorporate Lithium Ion batteries that could help cut down on size...

Till then I think I'll stick with my pneumatics... I use a 100' line so noise from the compressor isn't so bad and I'm used to the line and extension cords for that matter. Been using em for years Don't really think about em anymore
                        Last edited by jbergstrom; 04-10-2007, 01:56 AM. Reason: spelling (Newman)
                        Cheers! - Jim
                        -------------
                        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=8985

I have one and although it's heavy, I use it quite a bit for small jobs. I also have a couple of Paslode cordless nailers, but the nice thing about the Dewalt is that it doesn't have the smell of the gas and it's very quiet. It's nice that it only requires a battery to function.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko
                            Newman

Where did you find your money tree? I really would love one of them.

I know that's getting way off the track, but I really would love to find one.

No money tree...

I just have a serious problem and I can't control myself...
                            I need to get help. I see a new tool, I buy it.
                            I guess I am a tool slut, but there are worse things to be.
                            Who was it that said you can't have enough cordless drills? I must have at least a dozen or so...

Comment

It's cool and you're sure not alone. I buy far too many tools and boxes of junk myself. As for the guy saying he can't have enough drills, I think that was Akita before he resigned. I think I just may have more than he does, but mine (most) are older corded ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X