X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Air Compressor Question

I just bought the compressor combo kit, which came with a forty foot hose.

1. I want to be able to fill my tires of my vehicles, and perhaps someday drive nails on the top floor of the house, but the 40' hose isn't long enough. Is there any practical reason why I can't buy another 50' hose and attach it, making 90' total?

2. The instructions for using the nailers/stapler all say to hook up the device to the hose first, and then load the nails/staples. Why is this? Is there a mechanical reason, or a safety procedure? Just curious....

Thanks in advance.

Re: Newbie Air Compressor Question

I hook up multiple hoses all the time, just don't go to far, if you do, then go with a larger inside diameter hose, then reduce when you get near your gun, but at 90 ft., no problem.

Installing your nails, I do it both ways. Don't forget to put your drops of oil in your gun when you go to use it.
    Last edited by garager; 04-06-2007, 07:43 PM.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I routinely run up to 200' of 3/8 ID hose without a problem (even though the fittings on the hose ends are 1/4" ID). If you run 1/4" ID hose, you will get a significant volume drop at lengths over 50'. You may be able to use the nailer, but it will starve a rotary tool like an impact gun, or air ratchet.
      If you are running something like an HVLP spray gun (providing the compressor has enough output), you may have to go with the larger ID hose fittings to keep up with the volume demand.

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Regarding the instructions for loading the nails "after" you plug it in. As I recall, the instruction manual mentions that it is possible under some conditions that when hooking the hose to the gun, the mechanism could actuate (fire). If that is so, than it's definitely a safety issue! I surely would not want a nail in the magazine if there's any possibility that gun could fire on hook-up.

CWS

Comment

CW Smith is correct..read the instructions and safety information related to your air nailer! They will all specifically tell you "do not load when attached to an air line"

Now, in the real world many folks don't bother pulling the quick disconnect and reload..then again, in the real world we have folks sticking their hands under a mower's spinning deck to grab that tennis ball!

If we do not want a myriad of safety decals on our air tools..read the safety stuff and follow them... I can see some guy in the emergency room with a nail in his face because he was loading his gun and forgot his glasses!

I admit I have reloaded with the air hose attached..but I have made a real effort to stop that practice...The extra seconds spent may be the difference from completing a project and injury.

Cactus Man

Comment

The extra hose should not effect you too much, Just think of it like your garden hose the longer the hose the less the pressure as long as you have enough pressure to do the job you are fine. It will have no ill effect on the compressor. The safety issure with the nailer: quite often a nailer will cycle when being plugged in. frequently I have inadvertantly fired a nail into my bench because of this and my stupidity for not checking it first but I am always careful about it facing my bench, just to let you know even with out nails in the unit if it cycles there is a driver that pops out and can make you feel it as well so don't ever put any part of your body over the safety whether nails are in unit or not.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
              CW Smith is correct..read the instructions and safety information related to your air nailer! They will all specifically tell you "do not load when attached to an air line"
              Actually, not true with mine. I purchased the Porter-Cable pancake compressor with Finish Nailer, Brad Nailer, and Stapler. Each manual specifically states: "Connect tool to air supply before loading fasteners, to prevent a fastener from being fired during connection. The tool driving mechanism may cycle when tool is connected to the air supply." This is found in the warning section, not the main part of the instructions. I guess this (and the previous poster) answered my second question.

This surprised me...seems to me that this is the equivalent to loading bullets in a gun with the trigger cocked. But instructions are instructions, and I'm sure the engineers (and lawyers) have this well thought out.

Regardless, the nailer is pointed way away from me when loading/connecting/etc. Goggles on, ear protectors on (cuz that compressor is noisy!). As with my other new tools, I haven't gotten comfortable enough with them to take these things for granted, and don't plan to.

Thanks, all, for the advice about this, and the hose length.

Comment

For safety I would install an inline valve at the other end of a short piece of hose that's connected to the tool. Aim and pull the trigger a few times to be sure there's no pressure and then load it. Anything you can do to keep from shooting a nail into yourself or someone else is worth the efforts.
                Last edited by Woussko; 04-09-2007, 07:11 PM.

Comment

I gave a wrong answer here so I deleted the whole message. I'll add on more in a couple of minutes.

DO NOT LOAD FASTENERS WITH THE AIR LINE
                  CONNECTED, OR WITH THE TOOL TRIGGER OR
                  WORK CONTACTING ELEMENT DEPRESSED
                  When loading fasteners into the tool be sure you
                  disconnect the air line and that you do not depress the
                  trigger or work contacting element.

Found it,^ this on the Paslode site, in their manual download. I guess the entire time I've been doing it wrong and 500,000 other people have been doing the same, just my opinion on the amount of people, so don't quote me. I have never had a discharge when loading and connected, but apparently do not follow what I do. Do what your manual tells you to do, and you and everyone else around you will be safe.
                  Last edited by garager; 04-09-2007, 07:19 PM. Reason: wrong answer
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

It must be a case of the lesser of two evils...either load it without the hose to prevent misfires, or load it with the hose connected to, well, prevent misfires.

Just point it towards a piece of wood when connecting/disconnecting, and all will be well, I s'pose.

Comment

Working...
                    X